Affiliation: Medical University of South Carolina
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the effects of donepezil on neuronal markers and hippocampal volumes in Alzheimer's diseaseK Ranga Rama Krishnan
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:2003-11. 2003..The authors examined the effect of the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor donepezil on magnetic resonance markers of neurodegeneration in Alzheimer's disease...
- The efficacy and safety of risperidone in the treatment of psychosis of Alzheimer's disease and mixed dementia: a meta-analysis of 4 placebo-controlled clinical trialsIra Katz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, and Department of Neurology, Memory Clinic, Middelheim Hospital, ZNA, Wilrijk Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:475-84. 2007..Psychosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a specific component of AD, characterized by delusions, misidentifications, and hallucinations...
- Memantine treatment in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease already receiving a cholinesterase inhibitor: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialAnton P Porsteinsson
Alzheimer s Disease Care, Research and Education Program, University of Rochester, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 5:83-9. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of memantine in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease (AD) receiving cholinesterase inhibitor (ChEI) treatment...
- Risperidone in the treatment of psychosis of Alzheimer disease: results from a prospective clinical trialJacobo Mintzer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, VA Medical Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, 29406, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:280-91. 2006..The objective of this study was to evaluate efficacy and safety of low-dose risperidone for treating psychosis of Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- A markov model of the cost effectiveness of olanzapine treatment for agitation and psychosis in Alzheimer's diseaseStephanie Kirbach
Department of Biostatistics, Bioinformatics and Epidemiology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Clin Drug Investig 28:291-303. 2008..In this study we set out to compare the expected costs and outcomes for a community-dwelling cohort of patients with Alzheimer's disease with agitation and/or psychosis who are (a) untreated, or (b) treated with olanzapine...
- The many faces of psychosis in the elderlyJessica Broadway
Adult and Geriatric Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Curr Opin Psychiatry 20:551-8. 2007..As the population ages, the number of older patients with psychosis will greatly rise. This review focuses on the etiology, biologic and clinical findings, and treatments of common causes of psychosis in the elderly...
- Safety and benefits of distance-adjusted prefrontal transcranial magnetic stimulation in depressed patients 55-75 years of age: a pilot studyZiad Nahas
Brain Stimulation Laboratory, Institute of Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Depress Anxiety 19:249-56. 2004....
- Psychosis in elderly patients: classification and pharmacotherapyJacobo Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina, Institute of Psychiatry, Charleston 29406, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 16:199-206. 2003..The authors review common diagnostics associated with psychosis in the elderly and clinical guidelines to selecting antipsychotic pharmacotherapy...
- Elderly veterans with combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder in specialty careB Christopher Frueh
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29401, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:75-9. 2004
- Preliminary examination of progression of Alzheimer's disease in a rural Southern African American cohortMark T Wagner
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, United States
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 22:405-14. 2007....
- Divalproex sodium in nursing home residents with possible or probable Alzheimer Disease complicated by agitation: a randomized, controlled trialPierre N Tariot
Department of Psychiatry, The Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, Univ of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:942-9. 2005..It addresses the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of divalproex sodium for the treatment of agitation associated with dementia...
- Mild cognitive impairment can be distinguished from Alzheimer disease and normal aging for clinical trialsMichael Grundman
Alzheimer s Disease Cooperative Study, Department of Neurosciences, University of California San Diego, 8950 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite 227, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Arch Neurol 61:59-66. 2004..The Memory Impairment Study (MIS) is a multicenter clinical trial in patients with MCI designed to evaluate whether vitamin E or donepezil is effective at delaying the time to a clinical diagnosis of AD...
- Dementia with Lewy bodiesIan McKeith
Institute for Ageing and Health, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Lancet Neurol 3:19-28. 2004..Clear guidance on the management of DLB is urgently needed. Virtually unrecognised 20 years ago, DLB could within this decade be one of the most treatable neurodegenerative disorders of late life...
- Disease-modifying therapies in Alzheimer's diseaseStephen Salloway
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Division of Biology and Medicine, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Alzheimers Dement 4:65-79. 2008..Potentially neuroprotective and restorative treatments such as neurotrophins, neurotrophic factor enhancers, and stem cell-related approaches are also under investigation...