J E Mintzer
Affiliation: Medical University of South Carolina
- A comparison of extrapyramidal symptoms in older outpatients treated with quetiapine or risperidoneJacobo E Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina, Institute of Psychiatry, Charleston, SC 29406 6076, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1483-91. 2004..To compare the tolerability of quetiapine with risperidone in older outpatients...
- Aripiprazole for the treatment of psychoses in institutionalized patients with Alzheimer dementia: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled assessment of three fixed dosesJacobo E Mintzer
Alzheimer s Research and Clinical Programs, Medical University of South Carolina, North Charleston, SC 29406 6076, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:918-31. 2007..To assess the efficacy and safety of aripiprazole for psychosis associated with Alzheimer dementia (AD)...
- Olanzapine in the treatment of anxiety symptoms due to Alzheimer's disease: a post hoc analysisJ Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina, Alzheimer s Research and Clinical Programs Charleston, SC 29406 6076, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:S71-7. 2001..Although new information has emerged in recent years on the treatment of psychosis and agitation in dementia, very little information is available about the treatment of anxiety symptoms in this population...
- Introduction: the clinical impact of agitation in various psychiatric disorders: management consensus and controversiesJacobo E Mintzer
Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:3-5. 2006
- The efficacy of galantamine in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: comparison of patients previously treated with acetylcholinesterase inhibitors to patients with no prior exposureJ E Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina, N Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:292-7. 2003..With more AChEIs now available, treatment considerations may include whether the patient has had prior exposure to an AChEI...
- The search for better noncholinergic treatment options for Alzheimer's diseaseJacobo E Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina and Ralph H Johnson VA Medical Center, Charleston, SC, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:18-22. 2003..These treatments, supplemented with current cholinergic therapies, may help to ease patients' suffering and caregiver distress...
- Psychosis in elderly patients: classification and pharmacotherapyJacobo Mintzer
Medical University of South Carolina, Institute of Psychiatry, Charleston 29406, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 16:199-206. 2003..The authors review common diagnostics associated with psychosis in the elderly and clinical guidelines to selecting antipsychotic pharmacotherapy...
- What are the challenges faced by psychiatrists in the management of Alzheimer's disease?Jacobo E Mintzer
Medical University of Sourth Carolina, 5900 Core Road, Charleston, SC 29406, USA
CNS Spectr 9:13-5. 2004....
- Comparison of risperidone and placebo for psychosis and behavioral disturbances associated with dementia: a randomized, double-blind trial. Risperidone Study GroupI R Katz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 60:107-15. 1999....
- Underlying mechanisms of psychosis and aggression in patients with Alzheimer's diseaseJ E Mintzer
Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:23-5. 2001....
- A randomized, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of sertraline in the treatment of the behavioral manifestations of Alzheimer's disease in outpatients treated with donepezilSanford I Finkel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago Medical School, and the Leonard Schanfield Research Institute at Council for Jewish Elderly, Chicago, IL 60091, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:9-18. 2004..To examine the safety and efficacy of sertraline augmentation therapy in the treatment of behavioral manifestations of Alzheimer's disease (AD) in outpatients treated with donepezil...
- Apolipoprotein E and gray matter volume loss in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer diseaseMaria Vittoria Spampinato
Department of Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas St, MSC 323, Charleston, SC, USA
Radiology 258:843-52. 2011....
- Cholesterol and Alzheimer's disease: clinical and experimental models suggest interactions of different genetic, dietary and environmental risk factorsKumar Sambamurti
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, and Center on Aging, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, BSB 403, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Curr Drug Targets 5:517-28. 2004..The present review summarizes our current understanding of the relationship of AD pathogenesis with cholesterol, lipids and other genetic and environmental risk factors...
- Establishment of a predominantly African-American cohort for the study of Alzheimer's disease: the South Carolina Alzheimer's disease clinical coreDavid L Bachman
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, S C 29425, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 27:329-36. 2009..The recruitment of culturally diverse subject populations into research studies, particularly African-Americans (AA), has been the focus of intense interest by many groups...
- Potential ethnic modifiers in the assessment and treatment of Alzheimer's disease: challenges for the futureWarachal E Faison
Alzheimer s Research and Clinical Programs, Neurosciences Department, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29406, USA
Int Psychogeriatr 19:539-58. 2007..for AD to answer two questions: (1) what are the challenges to diagnose and treat AD across different ethnic groups, and (2) are there differences in response to pharmacologic interventions for AD across these different ethnic groups?..
- Assessing current practice in Alzheimer's diseaseJacobo E Mintzer
Medical University of Sourth Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
CNS Spectr 9:5. 2004
- Quetiapine treatment of psychosis associated with dementia: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trialPierre N Tariot
Memory Disorders Center, Banner Alzheimer s Disease Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:767-76. 2006....
- Time for change: the role of nonpharmacological interventions in treating behavior problems in nursing home residents with dementiaJiska Cohen-Mansfield
Department of Health Care Sciences and of Prevention and Community Health, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 19:37-40. 2005..The paper delineates some of the steps that are needed to move toward a more appropriate treatment of persons with dementia who manifest behavior problems...
- High-dose B vitamin supplementation and cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trialPaul S Aisen
Department of Neurosciences, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, M C 0949, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
JAMA 300:1774-83. 2008..Prior studies of B vitamins to reduce homocysteine in AD have not had sufficient size or duration to assess their effect on cognitive decline...
- Comparison of rapidly acting intramuscular olanzapine, lorazepam, and placebo: a double-blind, randomized study in acutely agitated patients with dementiaKarena M Meehan
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 26:494-504. 2002..Intramuscular injection of olanzapine may therefore provide substantial benefit in rapidly treating inpatients with acute dementia-related agitation...
- Design of Depression in Alzheimer's Disease Study-2Barbara K Martin
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:920-30. 2006....
- The growing, ethnically diverse aging population: is our field advancing with it?Warachal E Faison
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:541-4. 2005
- Clinical application of operationalized criteria for 'Depression of Alzheimer's Disease'Paul B Rosenberg
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neuropsychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:119-27. 2005..Criteria for the diagnosis of dAD have been proposed previously...
- Institute for Research Minority Training on Mental HealthJacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..We expect this effort to be the incubator for a new generation of minority researchers dedicated to the study of mental health and aging...
- Depressoin in Alzheimer's Disease Study-2 (DIADS-2)Jacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Institute for Research Minority Training on Mental HealthJacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect this effort to be the incubator for a new generation of minority researchers dedicated to the study mental health and aging. ..
- Apathy in Alzheimer's Disease Methylphenidate TrialJacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study aims to develop a new treatment for apathy in AD that could decrease its debilitating consequences and reduce patients' dependency on caregivers, providing well-deserved relief to patients and their loved ones. ..
- Apathy in Alzheimer's Disease Methylphenidate TrialPaul B Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study aims to develop a new treatment for apathy in AD that could decrease its debilitating consequences and reduce patients'dependency on caregivers, providing well-deserved relief to patients and their loved ones. ..