Genomes and Genes
J A Madden
Affiliation: Medical College of Wisconsin
- Precursors and inhibitors of hydrogen sulfide synthesis affect acute hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction in the intact lungJane A Madden
Department of Neurology, The Medical College of Wisconsin and Research Service, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
J Appl Physiol 112:411-8. 2012..The results of this study provide evidence that the rate of H(2)S synthesis plays a role in the magnitude of acute HPV in the isolated perfused rat lung...
- Telokin expression and the effect of hypoxia on its phosphorylation status in smooth muscle cells from small and large pulmonary arteriesJane A Madden
Department of Neurology, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L1166-73. 2008..These results suggest that in SPA, phosphorylated telokin may help maintain relaxation under unstimulated conditions, whereas in LPA, telokin's function remains undetermined...
- Integrin signaling, free radicals, and tyrosine kinase mediate flow constriction in isolated cerebral arteriesJ A Madden
Department of Neurology, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol 277:H2264-71. 1999..These data suggest that, in vitro, middle cerebral arteries constrict to flow through a mechanism involving free radicals and tyrosine kinase and that flow shear stresses resulting in constriction are transduced by integrin signaling...
- Changes in smooth muscle cell pH during hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction: a possible role for ion transportersJ A Madden
Department of Neurology, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Physiol Res 49:561-6. 2000..Future studies to determine the interaction between pHi, [Ca2+]i and HPV should ascertain whether pHi and [Ca2+]i changes are linked and how they may interact to promote or inhibit SMC contraction...
- Ion exchange activity in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells: the response to hypoxiaJ A Madden
Department of Neurology, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L264-71. 2001..The absence of Na+ prevented hypoxia-induced alkalinization in SPA cells; in both cell types, inhibiting the Cl-/HCO3- exchange activities reversed the normal direction of pH(c) changes during hypoxia...
- Absence of flow-mediated vasodilation in the rabbit femoral arteryP S Clifford
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Physiol Res 59:331-8. 2010..Based on these results, it seems unlikely that flow-mediated vasodilation in the rabbit femoral artery contributes to exercise hyperemia...
- Cyclooxygenase contracting factors and altered pulmonary vascular responses in chronically hypoxic newborn pigsCandice D Fike
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Appl Physiol 92:67-74. 2002..The early development of thromboxane-mediated constriction may contribute to the pathogenesis of chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in newborns...
- What leads to different mediators of alkalosis-induced vasodilation in isolated and in situ pulmonary vessels?John B Gordon
Department of Pediatrics Critical Care, Medical College of Wisconsin and Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 284:L799-807. 2003..g., adventitia and parenchyma) and remote signaling pathways, will need to be carried out to reconcile this discordance between isolated and in situ arteries...
- Voltage-gated K+ channels at an early stage of chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in newborn pigletsCandice D Fike
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 291:L1169-76. 2006..2, smooth muscle cell membrane properties are altered such that E(m) is depolarized and K(V) channel family function is impaired in SPA of piglets at an early stage of chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension...
- Voltage-gated K+ channels in rat small cerebral arteries: molecular identity of the functional channelsSulayma Albarwani
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, Al Khod, Sultanate of Oman
J Physiol 551:751-63. 2003..The findings of this study suggest that KV1.2/1.5 heterotetramers are preferentially expressed in rat cerebral VSMCs, and that these channels contribute to the resting membrane potential and diameter of rat small cerebral arteries...
- Hydrogen sulfide as an oxygen sensor/transducer in vertebrate hypoxic vasoconstriction and hypoxic vasodilationKenneth R Olson
Indiana University School of Medicine South Bend, 1234 Notre Dame Avenue, South Bend, IN 46617, USA
J Exp Biol 209:4011-23. 2006..In this model, the concentration of vasoactive H2S in the vessel is governed by the balance between endogenous H2S production and its oxidation by available O2...
- Point:Counterpoint: "Release of an endothelium-derived vasoconstrictor and RhoA/Rho kinase-mediated calcium sensitization of smooth muscle cell contraction are/are not the main effectors for full and sustained hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction"Jane A Madden
Medical College of Wisconsin, Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:2077; discussion 2080. 2007