W G Thompson
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Treatment of obesityWarren G Thompson
Division of Preventive, Occupational and Aerospace Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicne, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 82:93-101; quiz 101-2. 2007..Medication and surgical approaches may be appropriate as well. This review outlines the evidence for each approach, suggests how primary care physicians can best help obese patients, and provides practical tips for weight loss...
- Comfort and experience with online learning: trends over nine years and associations with knowledgeDavid A Cook
Mayo Clinic Online Learning, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
BMC Med Educ 14:128. 2014..We sought to determine how comfort using computers and perceptions of prior online learning experiences have changed over the past decade, and how these associate with learning outcomes...
- "Go4Life" exercise counseling, accelerometer feedback, and activity levels in older peopleWarren G Thompson
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA Electronic address
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 58:314-9. 2014..Alternate approaches to exercise counseling may be needed in elderly people of this age range. ..
- Feasibility of a walking workstation to increase daily walkingW G Thompson
Occupational and Aerospace Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Br J Sports Med 42:225-8; discussion 228. 2008..A walking workstation that allows workers to walk while they work has the potential to increase caloric expenditure. We evaluated whether employees can and will use walking workstations while performing their jobs...
- Correlations between measures of insulin sensitivity and weight lossWarren G Thompson
Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Division of Preventive, Occupational and Aerospace Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, United States
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 74:129-34. 2006..Many formulas have been proposed to calculate insulin sensitivity and studies have shown their effectiveness. However, few studies have been done to compare formulas...
- Effect of energy-reduced diets high in dairy products and fiber on weight loss in obese adultsWarren G Thompson
Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Division of Preventive and Occupational Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Obes Res 13:1344-53. 2005..The effects on weight loss and body fat of a high-dairy diet and a diet high in dairy and fiber and low in glycemic index were compared with a standard diet...
- Use of glucose, insulin, and C-reactive protein to determine need for glucose tolerance testingWarren G Thompson
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Obes Res 11:1027-32. 2003..This study evaluated the relative frequencies of glucose intolerance and impaired fasting glucose and sought to determine if 2-hour glucose could be predicted from simple demographic and laboratory data in an obese population...
- Productivity of transcriptionists using a treadmill deskWarren G Thompson
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Work 40:473-7. 2011..A treadmill desk offers the potential to increase activity while working; however, it is important to make sure that productivity does not decline. The purpose of this study is to evaluate productivity while using a treadmill desk...
- Clinical perspectives, mechanisms, diagnosis and management of irritable bowel syndromeM Camilleri
Mayo Clinic, Rochesster, MN 55905, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1407-30. 2002..Patient and physician education, early identification of psychosocial issues and better therapies are important strategies to reduce the suffering and societal cost of irritable bowel syndrome...
- Impact of self-assessment questions and learning styles in Web-based learning: a randomized, controlled, crossover trialDavid A Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Baldwin 4 A, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Acad Med 81:231-8. 2006..To determine the effect of self-assessment questions on learners' knowledge and format preference in a Web-based course, and investigate associations between learning styles and outcomes...
- Case-based or non-case-based questions for teaching postgraduate physicians: a randomized crossover trialDavid A Cook
Office of Education Research, Division of General Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Baldwin 4 A, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Acad Med 84:1419-25. 2009..The comparative efficacy of case-based (CB) and non-CB self-assessment questions in Web-based instruction is unknown. The authors sought to compare CB and non-CB questions...
- Measuring motivational characteristics of courses: applying Keller's instructional materials motivation survey to a web-based courseDavid A Cook
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Acad Med 84:1505-9. 2009..The IMMS has received little use or study in medical education. The authors sought to evaluate the validity of IMMS scores and compare scores between standard and adaptive Web-based learning modules...
- Feasibility of using a walking workstation during CT image interpretationJeff L Fidler
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 5:1130-6. 2008..Methods to help reduce sedentary work environments may help reduce obesity. The purpose of this study was to determine the feasibility of using a walking workstation during computed tomographic image interpretation...
- Adapting web-based instruction to residents' knowledge improves learning efficiency: a randomized controlled trialDavid A Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:985-90. 2008..Increased clinical demands and decreased available time accentuate the need for efficient learning in postgraduate medical training. Adapting Web-based learning (WBL) to learners' prior knowledge may improve efficiency...
- Introducing resident doctors to complexity in ambulatory medicineDavid A Cook
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Med Educ 42:838-48. 2008..Our objectives were to develop and evaluate an intervention to enhance residents' appreciation for the diversity of acceptable approaches when managing complex patients...
- Lack of interaction between sensing-intuitive learning styles and problem-first versus information-first instruction: a randomized crossover trialDavid A Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 14:79-90. 2009..Adaptation to learning styles has been proposed to enhance learning...
- An online core curriculum in primary care medicine for internal medicine residentsDavid A Cook
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, 200 First Street Southwest, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Med Educ 37:1043. 2003
- Web-based learning in residents' continuity clinics: a randomized, controlled trialDavid A Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Acad Med 80:90-7. 2005..To determine whether internal medicine residents prefer learning from Web-based (WB) modules or printed material, and to compare the effect of these teaching formats on knowledge...
- Diagnosis of obesity by primary care physicians and impact on obesity managementAditya Bardia
Division of Preventive, Occupational and Aerospace Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 82:927-32. 2007..To evaluate whether primary care physicians document obesity as a diagnosis and formulate a management plan...
- Early recognition and treatment of glucose abnormalities to prevent type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary heart diseaseW G Thompson
Division of Preventive and Occupational Medicine and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 76:1137-43. 2001..Studies to determine whether metformin is useful in this population are ongoing...