Janet L Thomas
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Behavioral treatment of chronic psychogenic polydipsia with hyponatremia: a unique case of polydipsia in a primary care patient with intractable hiccupsJ L Thoma
Mayo Clinic, Nicotine Dependence Center, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 32:241-50. 2001..An ABA single-case design was used, with sodium concentration as the dependent variable. This behavioral method appears promising in settings where restriction of fluid intake is not practical...
- Preliminary findings on the development of a measure of supportive behaviors provided by support persons to help someone stop smokingJanet L Thomas
Nicotine Dependence Center Research Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Behav Med 27:507-23. 2004..e., internal consistency reliability, item-change scores, factor structure) are described. Clinical and public health implications for the use of measures of support provided for behavior change are discussed...
- A descriptive and comparative study of the prevalence of depressive and anxiety disorders in low-income adults with type 2 diabetes and other chronic illnessesJanet Thomas
Mayo Clinic, Nicotine Dependence Center, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2311-7. 2003..To determine whether type 2 diabetes contributes to the presence of depressive and anxiety disorder diagnoses in low-income adults with hypertension, asthma, and/or arthritis...
- Web-based intervention for adolescent nonsmokers to help parents stop smoking: a pilot feasibility studyChristi A Patten
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Addict Behav 37:85-91. 2012..13. About half of parents in each group reported a quit attempt since study enrollment. Teens can be engaged to help parents stop smoking. Future research is warranted on determining effective intervention approaches...
- Beliefs and attitudes regarding smoking among young adult Latinos: a pilot studyRandi E Foraker
Nicotine Research Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Prev Med 41:126-33. 2005..Tobacco use interventions for young adult Latinos have not yet been developed. This qualitative pilot study employed semistructured interviews to assess beliefs and attitudes regarding tobacco use interventions among young adult Latinos...
- Training support persons to help smokers quit: a pilot studyChristi A Patten
Nicotine Research Program, Departmetn of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Prev Med 26:386-90. 2004..Evaluate the feasibility, acceptability, and potential efficacy of a skills-training intervention for adults interested in helping someone to stop smoking (i.e., support persons)...
- Reported willingness among adolescent nonsmokers to help parents, peers, and others to stop smokingChristi A Patten
Nicotine Dependence Center Research Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Prev Med 39:1099-106. 2004..This study of 1025 adolescent nonsmokers aged 11-19 years examined level of interest and factors associated with reported willingness to help someone stop smoking...
- Is smoking related to body image satisfaction, stress, and self-esteem in young adults?Ivana T Croghan
Nicotine Dependence Program, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:322-33. 2006..To examine the association of smoking and gender with body image satisfaction, perceived stress, and self-esteem in young adults...
- Validation of the support provided measure among spouses of smokers receiving a clinical smoking cessation interventionJanet L Thomas
Nicotine Dependence Center, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Psychol Health Med 14:443-53. 2009..44, p <0.01) item scales overall and for spouses whose partners reported higher levels of readiness to quit smoking (r = 0.54, p < 0.01; r = 0.50, p < 0.01, respectively). Suggestions for future research are offered...
- Differences among Black and White young adults on prior attempts and motivation to help a smoker quitChristi A Patten
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology and Behavioral Health Research Program, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55901, United States
Addict Behav 33:496-502. 2008..Tobacco control efforts could focus on optimizing these supportive behaviors as well as expressed motivation and interest in helping a smoker to quit among young adult nonsmokers...
- Prevention of tobacco use in adolescents: review of current findings and implications for healthcare providersKristin S Vickers
Nicotine Dependence Center Research Program and the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 14:708-12. 2002..Consequently, clinicians working with adolescents should be familiar with established guidelines regarding tobacco use prevention and treatment and use general outpatient office visits as an important opportunity to prevent tobacco use...