Genomes and Genes
Vijay H Shah
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Yang L, Kwon J, Popov Y, Gajdos G, ORDOG T, Brekken R, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor promotes fibrosis resolution and repair in mice. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:1339-50.e1 pubmed publisher..We observed that VEGF regulates vascular permeability, monocyte infiltration, and scar-associated macrophages function. ..
- de Assuncao T, Lomberk G, Cao S, Yaqoob U, Mathison A, Simonetto D, et al. New role for Kruppel-like factor 14 as a transcriptional activator involved in the generation of signaling lipids. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:15798-809 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is the first description of the activity and mechanisms underlying the function of KLF14 as an activator protein and novel regulator of lipid signaling. ..
- Greuter T, Shah V. Hepatic sinusoids in liver injury, inflammation, and fibrosis: new pathophysiological insights. J Gastroenterol. 2016;51:511-9 pubmed publisher..This article builds upon a seminar given at the recent 3rd JSGE International Topic Conference in Sendai, Japan, and reviews the areas outlined above. ..
- Baig M, Yaqoob U, Cao S, Saqib U, Shah V. Non-canonical role of matrix metalloprotease (MMP) in activation and migration of hepatic stellate cells (HSCs). Life Sci. 2016;155:155-60 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that macrophage MMP-8 promotes HSC activation and might have a role in liver disease progression. MMP-8 targeting in the liver may have therapeutic potential in alcoholic liver disease (ALD). ..
- Kostallari E, Shah V. Angiocrine signaling in the hepatic sinusoids in health and disease. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2016;311:G246-51 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic strategies to target angiocrine signaling are in progress but are in the early stages. Here, we offer a short synthesis of recent studies on angiocrine signaling in liver homeostasis, regeneration, and fibrogenesis. ..
- Dunn W, Shah V. Pathogenesis of Alcoholic Liver Disease. Clin Liver Dis. 2016;20:445-56 pubmed publisher..New pathophysiology-based therapies are under study, including antibiotics, caspase inhibition, interleukin-22, anakinra, FXR agonist and others. These studies provide hope for better future outcomes for this difficult disease. ..
- Arab J, Martín Mateos R, Shah V. Gut-liver axis, cirrhosis and portal hypertension: the chicken and the egg. Hepatol Int. 2018;12:24-33 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the current knowledge about the role of gut microbiota in the pathogenesis of chronic liver diseases and portal hypertension. ..
- Seo Y, Kwon J, Yaqoob U, Yang L, de Assuncao T, Simonetto D, et al. HMGB1 recruits hepatic stellate cells and liver endothelial cells to sites of ethanol-induced parenchymal cell injury. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013;305:G838-48 pubmed publisher..Hepatocytes release HMGB1 in response to ethanol with subsequent recruitment of HSC and LEC. This pathway has implications for HSC and LEC recruitment to sites of ethanol-induced liver injury. ..
- Lee J, Kang Decker N, Chatterjee S, Yao J, Friedman S, Shah V. Mechanisms of nitric oxide interplay with Rho GTPase family members in modulation of actin membrane dynamics in pericytes and fibroblasts. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:1861-70 pubmed..In conclusion, these studies identify novel crosstalk between small GTPases, cytoskeletal structures, and NO in pericyte-specific pathways, providing counterbalances in the chemotactic responses to growth factors. ..
- Bi Y, Li J, Ji B, Kang N, Yang L, Simonetto D, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate mediates a reciprocal signaling pathway between stellate cells and cancer cells that promotes pancreatic cancer growth. Am J Pathol. 2014;184:2791-802 pubmed publisher..Pancreatic cancer cell-derived S1P activates PSCs to release paracrine factors, including matrix metalloproteinase-9, which reciprocally promotes tumor cell migration and invasion inÂ vitro and cancer growth inÂ vivo. ..
- Bi Y, Mukhopadhyay D, Drinane M, Ji B, Li X, Cao S, et al. Endocytosis of collagen by hepatic stellate cells regulates extracellular matrix dynamics. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014;307:C622-33 pubmed publisher..Interaction with extracellular matrix regulates matrix dynamics through modulating multiple gene expressions including MMP-9. ..
- Wang R, Ding Q, de Assuncao T, Mounajjed T, Maiers J, Dou C, et al. Hepatic Stellate Cell Selective Disruption of Dynamin-2 GTPase Increases Murine Fibrogenesis through Up-Regulation of Sphingosine-1 Phosphate-Induced Cell Migration. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:134-145 pubmed publisher..Genetic disruption of Dyn2 GTPase activity selectively in HSC enhances fibrogenesis, driven at least in part through up-regulation of the SK1 pathway and cell migration in HSCs. ..
- Shah V, Chen A, Cao S, Hendrickson H, Weiler D, Smith L, et al. Gene transfer of recombinant endothelial nitric oxide synthase to liver in vivo and in vitro. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000;279:G1023-30 pubmed..These events were associated with increased ionomycin-stimulated NO release. In summary, this is the first study to demonstrate successful delivery of the recombinant eNOS gene to liver in vivo and in vitro with ensuing NO production...
- Liu Y, Verma V, Malhi H, Gores G, Kamath P, Sanyal A, et al. Lipopolysaccharide downregulates macrophage-derived IL-22 to modulate alcohol-induced hepatocyte cell death. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313:C305-C313 pubmed publisher..Macrophage-derived IL-22 protects hepatocytes from ethanol-induced cell death. IL-22 downregulation is a new regulatory target of LPS in the pathogenesis of AH. ..
- Shah V, Cao S, Hendrickson H, Yao J, Katusic Z. Regulation of hepatic eNOS by caveolin and calmodulin after bile duct ligation in rats. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2001;280:G1209-16 pubmed..We conclude that, in cholestatic portal hypertension, caveolin may negatively regulate NOS activity in a manner that is reversible by excess calmodulin...