Judith Salmon Kaur
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- The "Spirit of Eagles" legacyJudith Salmon Kaur
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 107:1987-94. 2006..Cancer 2006. (c) 2006 American Cancer Society...
- Cancer in American Indian and Alaska Native populations continues to threaten an aging population : the need for tribal, state, and federal actionJudith S Kaur
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Cancer 113:1117-9. 2008
- Enhancing life after cancer in diverse communitiesJudith S Kaur
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cancer 118:5366-73. 2012..Although large numbers of cancer survivors exist in every community, including minority communities, there is a significant gap in knowledge about best practices for these patients...
- Personalized medicine: challenge and promiseJudith Salmon Kaur
Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cancer Educ 27:S12-7. 2012..This will require participation and acceptance of diverse populations. This article reviews the promise and challenges of individualizing cancer care using principles of community-based participatory research...
- Can the Gail model be useful in American Indian and Alaska Native populations?Judith Salmon Kaur
College of Medicine, The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 100:906-12. 2004..The Gail model has been a useful tool for predicting the risk of breast carcinoma in several populations. It has not been applied systematically to AI/AN women...
- The promise and the challenge of the spirit of E.A.G.L.E.S. programJudith Salmon Kaur
J Cancer Educ 20:2-6. 2005..A.G.L.E.S. is a National Cancer Institute funded Special Populations Network. Prior to its inception, there was limited infrastructure available to American Indian and Alaska Native populations to support cancer control activities...
- Combination of paclitaxel and carboplatin as second-line therapy for patients with metastatic melanomaRavi D Rao
Department of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 106:375-82. 2006..Patients with metastatic melanoma (MM) have very few therapy options. Based on reports of responses to paclitaxel and carboplatin (PC), 31 patients with MM were treated with PC...
- A phase II study of ABT-510 (thrombospondin-1 analog) for the treatment of metastatic melanomaSvetomir N Markovic
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 30:303-9. 2007..We conducted a phase II trial evaluating the clinical efficacy of ABT-510 and its effects on biomarkers of angiogenesis and immunity in patients with metastatic melanoma (MM)...
- Evaluation of a training program to prepare community health representatives to promote breast and cervix cancer screening among native american womenWesley O Petersen
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cancer Educ 19:237-43. 2004..focus of training? and (2) Does training empower CHRs and, indirectly, their facilities to educate about breast and cervix cancer, promote screening, and teach breast self-exam skills to American Indian and Alaska Native women?..
- Focus groups of Alaska Native adolescent tobacco users: preferences for tobacco cessation interventions and barriers to participationChristi A Patten
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55901, USA
Health Educ Behav 36:711-23. 2009..Parents were perceived as potentially supportive to the adolescent in quitting tobacco. The findings will be used to develop tobacco cessation programs for Alaska Native youth...
- Intratumoral administration of a 1,2-dimyristyloxypropyl-3- dimethylhydroxyethyl ammonium bromide/dioleoylphosphatidylethanolamine formulation of the human interleukin-2 gene in the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinomaEvanthia Galanis
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Cancer 101:2557-66. 2004..In the current study, the authors investigated the safety and efficacy of in situ vaccination with Leuvectin in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma...
- Malignant melanoma in the 21st century: the emerging molecular landscapeAleksandar Sekulic
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 83:825-46. 2008..We review the emerging molecular landscape of melanoma and its implications for better management of patients with melanoma...
- Evaluating the WEB training program for cancer screening in Native American womenWesley O Petersen
Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 17:262-75. 2003..We used this conception of social justice to determine whether the Native WEB program reflected the perspectives of its immediate and distal environments...
- Phase I trial of intraperitoneal administration of an oncolytic measles virus strain engineered to express carcinoembryonic antigen for recurrent ovarian cancerEvanthia Galanis
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Molecular Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Gonda 10 141, 200 First Street Southwest, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cancer Res 70:875-82. 2010..Our findings indicate that i.p. administration of MV-CEA is well tolerated and results in dose-dependent biological activity in a cohort of heavily pretreated recurrent ovarian cancer patients...
- Evaluation of a program to train nurses to screen for breast and cervical cancer among Native American womenThomas A Sellers
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Cancer Educ 17:24-7. 2002....
- Peptide vaccination of patients with metastatic melanoma: improved clinical outcome in patients demonstrating effective immunizationSvetomir N Markovic
Melanoma Study Group of the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 29:352-60. 2006....
- Outcomes of training nurses to conduct breast and cervical cancer screening of Native American womenWesley O Petersen
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 16:58-79. 2002..Findings show that Native WEB training is associated with increased screening activity at all three levels...
- Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. The Mayo Clinic experienceNicholas W W Choong
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 103:1172-8. 2005..Adjuvant treatment is not indicated for patients with Stage II disease after radical cystectomy but should be considered for patients with Stage III and IV disease. Chemotherapy should be a platinum-based regimen...
- A phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of CS-682 administered orally in advanced malignant solid tumorsThierry Delaunoit
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Invest New Drugs 24:327-33. 2006..1 +/- 0.9 h after the CS-682 dose, and the terminal elimination half-life was 2.3 +/- 1.7 h. The recommended phase 2 starting dose for the 3 days/week regimen of CS-682 is 160 mg/m2/day for 4 weeks repeated after a 2-week rest period...
- Immunotherapy (APC8015, Provenge) targeting prostatic acid phosphatase can induce durable remission of metastatic androgen-independent prostate cancer: a Phase 2 trialPatrick A Burch
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55902, USA
Prostate 60:197-204. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates a definite clinical response of androgen-independent prostate cancer to APC immunotherapy. Currently we are studying this mode of therapy in Phase 3 trials...
- Are cancer survivors/patients knowledgeable about osteoporosis? Results from a survey of 285 chemotherapy-treated cancer patients and their companionsHeidi McKean
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 40:144-8. 2008..This study assessed osteoporosis knowledge deficits among cancer patients and their spouses/partners...
- Phase II trial of KW2189 in patients with advanced malignant melanomaSvetomir N Markovic
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 25:308-12. 2002..In summary, the lack of significant antitumor activity of KW-2189 and its associated toxicity suggest that further testing of this regimen in patients with stage IV melanoma is not warranted...
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2004, featuring cancer in American Indians and Alaska NativesDavid K Espey
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cancer 110:2119-52. 2007..S. The 2007 report features a comprehensive compilation of cancer information for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN)...
- Breast cancer incidence among American Indian and Alaska Native women: US, 1999-2004Phyllis A Wingo
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Cancer 113:1191-202. 2008....
- Cancer among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1999-2004Charles L Wiggins
New Mexico Tumor Registry, University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 0001, USA
Cancer 113:1142-52. 2008..However, the misclassification of race for AI/AN cancer cases in central cancer registries may have led to underestimates of the AI/AN cancer burden in previous reports...
- Lessons learned while developing "Clinical Trials Education for Native Americans" curriculumLinda Burhansstipanov
Native American Cancer Research Corporation, Pine, CO 80470 7830, USA
Cancer Control 10:29-36. 2003..The lessons shared here, which may need to be modified to be culturally relevant to other underrepresented communities, may be beneficial to others developing similar curricula for other medically underserved populations...
- A survey of attendees at Native American health care conferences: knowledge, attitudes, and practices about cigarette smokingMarie M Packer
Department of Biology, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, USA
J Cancer Educ 20:89-95. 2005..However, there was less awareness about women's health problems that relate to cigarette smoking as compared to other health consequences of smoking...
- Sample genetic policy language for research conducted with native communitiesLinda Burhansstipanov
Native American Cancer Research Corporation, Pine, CO 80470 7830, USA
J Cancer Educ 20:52-7. 2005..corrected] We have been repeatedly asked to clarify genetic issues that have cultural ramifications for Native communities...
- Metastatic melanoma presenting as cardiac mass and hemobiliaGuangzhi Qu
Divisions of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Med Sci 325:157-9. 2003..This case illustrates the importance of aggressive surgical resection and chemotherapy in the treatment of metastatic malignant melanoma...
- Palliative practice in Indian healthTimothy Domer
Fort Defiance Indian Hospital, Fort Defiance, Arizona, USA
S D Med . 2008..To paraphrase Robert Frost, the journey has started but we have miles to go before we sleep...
- AMERICAN INDIAN/ALASKA NATIVE INITIATIVE ON CANCERJudith Kaur; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Changing Cancer Patterns in Native CommunitiesJudith Kaur; Fiscal Year: 2004..The conference promises to further public health goals related to cancer in Native communities, and will build upon recent progress in cancer projects that have been implemented in the past three years. ..
- NATIVE NETWORK CANCER RESOURCES CENTERJudith Kaur; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also have a very clear picture of how information disseminates through Al/AN communities. These efforts will help further the national agenda to reduce cancer health disparities. ..
- Alaska Native Teens Aiming to Quit TobaccoJudith Kaur; Fiscal Year: 2007..The design of that protocol would be derived from information learned in this proposed study. ..