W L Nichols
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- von Willebrand disease (VWD): evidence-based diagnosis and management guidelines, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Expert Panel report (USA)W L Nichols
Special Coagulation Laboratory, Division of Hematopathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Haemophilia 14:171-232. 2008..The NHLBI Web site (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/vwd) has a more detailed document, a synopsis of these recommendations, and patient education information...
- Validation of an automated latex particle-enhanced immunoturbidimetric von Willebrand factor activity assayD Chen
Special Coagulation Laboratory, Division of Hematopathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Thromb Haemost 9:1993-2002. 2011..Laboratory diagnosis of von Willebrand disease (VWD) requires accurate measurement of plasma von Willebrand factor (VWF) activity...
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndromeM A Elliott
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 76:1154-62. 2001..While uncommon, TTP and HUS are of considerable clinical importance because of their abrupt onset, fulminant clinical course, and high morbidity and mortality in the absence of early recognition and treatment...
- Autoimmune factor VIII inhibitorsR K Pruthi
Department of Internal Medicine and Hematology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 6:314-22. 1999..Future laboratory and clinical studies are necessary for advancement of pathophysiologic knowledge and therapeutic options for patients with this uncommon but clinically important disorder...
- Sensitivity and specificity of denaturing high-pressure liquid chromatography for unknown protein C gene mutationsM R Taliani
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Genet Test 5:39-44. 2001..DHPLC is a rapid, automated, sensitive and specific screening method for unknown mutations within the PROC gene, and may be a useful screening method for unknown mutations within other genes...
- A highly-sensitive plasma von Willebrand factor ristocetin cofactor (VWF:RCo) activity assay by flow cytometryD Chen
Special Coagulation Laboratory, Division of Hematopathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Thromb Haemost 6:323-30. 2008..However, current manual or automated VWF:RCo assay methods have relatively poor operating characteristics. Our goal was to develop and validate a simple, accurate, specific and sensitive platelet-based VWF:RCo assay...
- Fechtner syndrome: physiologic analysis of macrothrombocytopeniaR D McBane
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 11:243-7. 2000..This case illustrates that 'giant' platelets are not universally present in Fechtner syndrome cases, although the platelets are enlarged. Finally, renal pathology other than Alport's nephropathy may be associated with this syndrome...
- Continuous factor VIII infusion therapy in patients with haemophilia A undergoing surgical procedures with plasma-derived or recombinant factor VIII concentratesD Dingli
Division of Hematology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Haemophilia 8:629-34. 2002....
- Update on the pathophysiology and classification of von Willebrand disease: a report of the Subcommittee on von Willebrand FactorJ E Sadler
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Thromb Haemost 4:2103-14. 2006..The clinical significance of this heterogeneity is under investigation, which may support further subdivision of VWD type 1 or type 2A in the future...