Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Survey of sensitive information written in patient notes by psychiatry traineesSimon Kung
Dept of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic and Medical School, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Acad Psychiatry 37:31-4. 2013..The authors investigated whether notes written by psychiatry trainees were ready for release to patients...
- Comparing the Beck Depression Inventory-II (BDI-II) and Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) depression measures in an integrated mood disorders practiceSimon Kung
Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Affect Disord 145:341-3. 2013..Two popular instruments are the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI-II) and the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9). We compared the performance of these two instruments in a mood disorders setting...
- Treatment of nightmares with prazosin: a systematic reviewSimon Kung
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:890-900. 2012..Reduced nightmare severity with use of prazosin was consistently reported in the open-label trials, retrospective chart reviews, and single case reports...
- Posterior vitreous detachment and retinal tear after repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulationSimon Kung
Mayo Clinic, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Rochester, Minneapolis 55905, USA
Brain Stimul 4:218-21. 2011..As part of the routine clinical monitoring of rTMS side effects, we encourage attention toward ophthalmologic symptoms, especially in older patients...
- An electronic filing cabinet for "classic" articles and other teaching materials: something old, something newSimon Kung
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Acad Psychiatry 28:140-3. 2004..We attempt to recover these materials through a marriage of traditional reading lists and contemporary technology...
- Association of optimism-pessimism with quality of life in patients with head and neck and thyroid cancersSimon Kung
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:1545-52. 2006..To examine the relationship between optimism-pessimism and quality of life (QOL) in survivors of head and neck and thyroid cancers...
- Does gender influence outcomes from a multidisciplinary intervention for quality of life designed for patients with advanced cancer?Maria I Lapid
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN, 55905, USA
Support Care Cancer 21:2485-90. 2013..It has been well documented that there are gender differences in the symptoms associated with cancer treatment. This study explores the impact of gender on QOL for patients with newly diagnosed advanced cancer...
- A new interaction between SLC6A4 variation and child abuse is associated with resting heart rateGen Shinozaki
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Depress Anxiety 28:227-33. 2011..A child abuse history has also been associated with more rapid heart rate reactions...
- The use of slow-frequency prefrontal repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in refractory neuropathic painShirlene M Sampson
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J ECT 27:33-7. 2011..Given the high degree of suffering experienced by subjects with chronic neuropathic pain and the treatment resistance noted in this population, the use of slow-frequency rTMS as adjuvant therapy may be of significant clinical benefit...
- Electroconvulsive therapy for patients with major depression and probable Lewy body dementiaKeith G Rasmussen
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J ECT 19:103-9. 2003..All of them enjoyed substantial relief from depression with ECT, which they tolerated well. It is concluded that ECT can be effective in treating depression associated with probable Lewy Body dementia...
- Hypovitaminosis D in psychiatric inpatients: clinical correlation with depressive symptoms, cognitive impairment, and prescribing practicesDavid D Leedahl
Department of Pharmacy, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55902, USA
Psychosomatics 54:257-62. 2013..This correlation and subsequent prescribing practices of vitamin D supplementation were evaluated in a population of psychiatric inpatients...
- Serial infusions of low-dose ketamine for major depressionKeith G Rasmussen
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA
J Psychopharmacol 27:444-50. 2013..Side effects during the infusions have been common. It is not known whether serial infusions or lower infusion rates result in greater efficacy...
- Online resources for assessment and evaluationSheldon Benjamin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Acad Psychiatry 30:498-504. 2006..Assessment of competency requires analysis of performance data from numerous sources. This article reviews characteristics of Web-based evaluation and assessment systems and recommends areas for further development...