Tina J Hieken
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Preoperative axillary imaging with percutaneous lymph node biopsy is valuable in the contemporary management of patients with breast cancerTina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Electronic address
Surgery 154:831-8; discussion 838-40. 2013..Data are lacking on the value of this approach in identifying cases that fall outside Z11 guidelines...
- Imaging response and residual metastatic axillary lymph node disease after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for primary breast cancerTina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:3199-204. 2013..We evaluated post-NAC axillary imaging and surgical pathology to understand how imaging might direct axillary surgery...
- Selective or routine axillary disease staging for patients with clinically lymph node-negative breast cancer?Tina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, Ill, USA
Surgery 140:500-7; discussion 507-8. 2006..Therefore, we hypothesized that a subset of patients in whom SLNB can be avoided can be identified before operation...
- Optimizing the management of cutaneous melanoma in the elderlyChristina Tragos
Department of Surgery, NorthShore University HealthSystem Skokie Hospital, Skokie, Chicago, IL, USA
Surgery 150:828-35. 2011..Melanoma characteristics appear to be different in the elderly, and outcomes worse. We undertook this study to characterize our experience with melanoma in the elderly and identify factors associated with outcome...
- Adverse outcomes associated with noncompliance with melanoma treatment guidelinesJennifer Erickson Foster
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, 9669 North Kenton, Suite 204, Skokie, IL, 60076, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2395-402. 2008..Therefore, we undertook this study to evaluate the effect of variance from National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) recommendations on postoperative complication rates and disease recurrence...
- Tumor-infiltrating lymphocyte response in cutaneous melanoma in the elderly predicts clinical outcomesTravis E Grotz
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Melanoma Res 23:132-7. 2013..Further investigation to characterize this lymphocytic infiltrate and to confirm its clinical significance as a predictor of nodal status, patient outcome, and response to immunotherapy in elderly melanoma patients appears warranted...
- Increased lymph node evaluation with colorectal cancer resection: does it improve detection of stage III disease?Sachin S Kukreja
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, IL 60076, USA
Arch Surg 144:612-7. 2009..Evaluation of 12 or more lymph nodes (LNs) with colorectal cancer (CRC) resection may not improve detection of stage III disease...
- Management of benign intraductal solitary papilloma diagnosed on core needle biopsyRyan E Swapp
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:1900-5. 2013..The purpose of this study was to determine whether surgical excision of benign solitary intraductal papillomas (BSIP) diagnosed by core needle biopsy (CNBx) without an associated high-risk lesion and concordant with imaging is justified...
- Accuracy of diagnostic biopsy for cutaneous melanoma: implications for surgical oncologistsTina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, NorthShore University Healthsystem, Skokie Hospital, Skokie, IL, USA Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN, USA
Int J Surg Oncol 2013:196493. 2013..We undertook this study to identify how frequently final tumor stage and treatment recommendations changed from diagnostic biopsy to final histopathology after wide local excision (WLE)...
- National practice patterns in preoperative and postoperative antibiotic prophylaxis in breast procedures requiring drains: survey of the American Society of Breast SurgeonsRushin D Brahmbhatt
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:3205-11. 2012..To assess national practice patterns regarding use of perioperative antibiotics by surgeons performing breast operations requiring drainage tubes...
- Predicting relapse in ductal carcinoma in situ patients: an analysis of biologic markers with long-term follow-upTina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, 9669 North Kenton Avenue, Suite 204, Skokie, IL 60076, USA
Am J Surg 194:504-6. 2007..Optimal treatment remains controversial and, because of a long natural history, may not be evident for many years. We undertook this study to identify markers of disease recurrence...
- Factors associated with surgical decision making in women with early-stage breast cancer: a literature reviewMaire Brid Mac Bride
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 22:236-42. 2013..However, studies show that mastectomy is still being used by women with early-stage breast cancer...
- The value of sentinel lymph node biopsy in elderly breast cancer patientsTina J Hieken
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, 9669 North Kenton Ave, Suite 204, Skokie, IL 60076, USA
Am J Surg 188:440-2. 2004..We undertook this study to evaluate changes in adjuvant treatment attributable to sentinel lymph node biopsy...
- A comparative analysis of core needle biopsy and final excision for breast cancer: histology and marker expressionMatthew Ough
Department of Surgery, NorthShore University Healthcare System, Skokie Hospital, Skokie, IL 60076, USA
Am J Surg 201:692-4. 2011..Thus, we undertook this study to evaluate the accuracy of CNB as a predictor of breast cancer histology and marker expression...
- Compliance with melanoma treatment guidelines in a community teaching hospital: time trends and other variablesJennifer L Erickson
Department of Surgery, Rush North Shore Medical Center, 9669 North Kenton, Suite 204, Skokie, Illinois 60076, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1211-7. 2008..The purpose of our study was to evaluate our institutional compliance with National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) melanoma treatment guidelines...