Genomes and Genes
Nathan W Cummins
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Anti-apoptotic mechanisms of HIV: lessons and novel approaches to curing HIVNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 70:3355-63. 2013..Only by understanding how infected cells avoid HIV-induced cell death can an effective strategy to kill infected cells be developed...
- Human immunodeficiency virus envelope protein Gp120 induces proliferation but not apoptosis in osteoblasts at physiologic concentrationsNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Disease, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24876. 2011..This suggests that Gp120 is not an inducer of apoptosis in human osteoblasts and likely does not directly contribute to osteoporosis in infected patients by this mechanism...
- Isolation of a TRAIL antagonist from the serum of HIV-infected patientsDavid J Schnepple
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 286:35742-54. 2011..Knockdown of TRAIL-s abrogates this resistance. We propose that TRAIL-s is a novel adaptive mechanism of apoptosis resistance acquired by HIV-infected cells to avoid their elimination by TRAIL-dependent effector mechanism...
- The HIV-1-specific protein Casp8p41 induces death of infected cells through Bax/BakAmy M Sainski
Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Virol 85:7965-75. 2011..This understanding allows the design of strategies to interrupt this form of death of HIV-1-infected cells...
- Intracellular Casp8p41 content is inversely associated with CD4 T cell countNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Infect Dis 202:386-91. 2010..This suggests that Casp8p41 is a relevant mediator of CD4 T cell death during HIV infection...
- Patients with discordant responses to antiretroviral therapy have impaired killing of HIV-infected T cellsSekar Natesampillai
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001213. 2010..Therefore, HIV protease regulates both HIV replication as well as HIV induced T cell depletion, the hallmark of HIV pathogenesis...
- Casp8p41 expression in primary T cells induces a proinflammatory responseJulie A Taylor
Division of Infectious Diseases, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
AIDS 24:1251-8. 2010..Herein, we questioned whether Casp8p41-induced NFkappaB activation impacts the cytokine profile of cells expressing Casp8p41...
- Polymorphism in tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand receptor 1 is associated with poor viral response to interferon-based hepatitis C virus therapy in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected individualsStacey A Rizza
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
AIDS 24:2639-44. 2010..There are currently no biomarkers that predict treatment response in these coinfected patients...
- Short communication: CD4 T cell declines occurring during suppressive antiretroviral therapy reflect continued production of casp8p41Nathan W Cummins
1 Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 30:476-9. 2014....
- Heme oxygenase-1 regulates the immune response to influenza virus infection and vaccination in aged miceNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
FASEB J 26:2911-8. 2012..HO-1 affects the immune response to both influenza infection and vaccination, suggesting that therapeutic induction of HO-1 expression may represent a novel adjuvant to enhance influenza vaccine effectiveness...