Genomes and Genes
Nathan W Cummins
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Anti-apoptotic mechanisms of HIV: lessons and novel approaches to curing HIVNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 70:3355-63. 2013..Only by understanding how infected cells avoid HIV-induced cell death can an effective strategy to kill infected cells be developed...
- Human immunodeficiency virus envelope protein Gp120 induces proliferation but not apoptosis in osteoblasts at physiologic concentrationsNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Disease, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24876. 2011..This suggests that Gp120 is not an inducer of apoptosis in human osteoblasts and likely does not directly contribute to osteoporosis in infected patients by this mechanism...
- Isolation of a TRAIL antagonist from the serum of HIV-infected patientsDavid J Schnepple
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 286:35742-54. 2011..Knockdown of TRAIL-s abrogates this resistance. We propose that TRAIL-s is a novel adaptive mechanism of apoptosis resistance acquired by HIV-infected cells to avoid their elimination by TRAIL-dependent effector mechanism...
- The HIV-1-specific protein Casp8p41 induces death of infected cells through Bax/BakAmy M Sainski
Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Virol 85:7965-75. 2011..This understanding allows the design of strategies to interrupt this form of death of HIV-1-infected cells...
- Intracellular Casp8p41 content is inversely associated with CD4 T cell countNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Infect Dis 202:386-91. 2010..This suggests that Casp8p41 is a relevant mediator of CD4 T cell death during HIV infection...
- Patients with discordant responses to antiretroviral therapy have impaired killing of HIV-infected T cellsSekar Natesampillai
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001213. 2010..Therefore, HIV protease regulates both HIV replication as well as HIV induced T cell depletion, the hallmark of HIV pathogenesis...
- Casp8p41 generated by HIV protease kills CD4 T cells through direct Bak activationAmy M Sainski
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experiment Therapeutics, Division of Oncology Research, Division of Infectious Diseases, and Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294 Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experiment Therapeutics, Division of Oncology Research, Division of Infectious Diseases, and Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294
J Cell Biol 206:867-76. 2014..These observations support a novel paradigm in which HIV converts a normal cellular constituent into a direct activator that functions like a BH3-only protein. ..
- Casp8p41 expression in primary T cells induces a proinflammatory responseJulie A Taylor
Division of Infectious Diseases, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
AIDS 24:1251-8. 2010..Herein, we questioned whether Casp8p41-induced NFkappaB activation impacts the cytokine profile of cells expressing Casp8p41...
- Polymorphism in tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand receptor 1 is associated with poor viral response to interferon-based hepatitis C virus therapy in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected individualsStacey A Rizza
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
AIDS 24:2639-44. 2010..There are currently no biomarkers that predict treatment response in these coinfected patients...
- Short communication: CD4 T cell declines occurring during suppressive antiretroviral therapy reflect continued production of Casp8p41Nathan W Cummins
1 Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 30:476-9. 2014....
- Heme oxygenase-1 regulates the immune response to influenza virus infection and vaccination in aged miceNathan W Cummins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
FASEB J 26:2911-8. 2012..HO-1 affects the immune response to both influenza infection and vaccination, suggesting that therapeutic induction of HO-1 expression may represent a novel adjuvant to enhance influenza vaccine effectiveness...