J A Copland
Affiliation: Mayo Clinic
- Pathway signature and cellular differentiation in clear cell renal cell carcinomaHan W Tun
Department of Hematology Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10696. 2010..Clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) is the most common kidney cancer. The purpose of this study is to define a biological pathway signature and a cellular differentiation program in ccRCC...
- Reexpression of tumor suppressor, sFRP1, leads to antitumor synergy of combined HDAC and methyltransferase inhibitors in chemoresistant cancersSimon J Cooper
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 11:2105-15. 2012..Combinatorial treatment with romidepsin and decitabine in drug resistant tumors is a promising treatment strategy. Moreover, recombinant sFRP1 may be a novel therapeutic strategy for cancers with suppressed sFRP1 expression...
- Bioconjugated gold nanoparticles as a molecular based contrast agent: implications for imaging of deep tumors using optoacoustic tomographyJohn A Copland
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
Mol Imaging Biol 6:341-9. 2004..We have developed a molecular based contrast agent composed of gold nanoparticles conjugated to a monoclonal antibody that improves OAT imaging to potentiate its use in imaging deep tumors in early stages of cancer or metastatic lesions...
- Novel high-affinity PPARgamma agonist alone and in combination with paclitaxel inhibits human anaplastic thyroid carcinoma tumor growth via p21WAF1/CIP1J A Copland
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, Jacksonville, Florida 33224, USA
Oncogene 25:2304-17. 2006..We demonstrated that RS5444, a thiazolidinedione (Tzd) derivative, alone or in combination with paclitaxel, may provide therapeutic benefit to patients diagnosed with ATC...
- Efatutazone, an oral PPAR-γ agonist, in combination with paclitaxel in anaplastic thyroid cancer: results of a multicenter phase 1 trialR C Smallridge
Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:2392-400. 2013..A phase 1 study was initiated to determine the safety, potential effectiveness, and maximal tolerated dose and recommended phase 2 dose of efatutazone and paclitaxel in anaplastic thyroid cancer...
- Loss of type III transforming growth factor-beta receptor expression is due to methylation silencing of the transcription factor GATA3 in renal cell carcinomaS J Cooper
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Oncogene 29:2905-15. 2010..These data support a sequential model whereby loss of GATA3 expression through epigenetic silencing decreases TbetaRIII expression during ccRCC progression...
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: pathogenesis and emerging therapiesR C Smallridge
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 22:486-97. 2010..Newer systemic therapies are being tried, and more effective combinations are needed to improve patient outcomes...
- Detailed molecular fingerprinting of four new anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cell lines and their use for verification of RhoB as a molecular therapeutic targetLaura A Marlow
Mayo Clinic, Department of Cancer Biology, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:5338-47. 2010..Up to 42% of human thyroid cancer cell lines are redundant or not of correct tissue origin, and a comprehensive analysis is currently nonexistent. Mechanistically, RhoB has been identified as a novel molecular target for ATC therapy...
- Type III transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) receptor mediates apoptosis in renal cell carcinoma independent of the canonical TGF-beta signaling pathwayVitaly Margulis
Department of Urology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:5722-30. 2008..We evaluated the role of TbetaRIII in mediation of apoptosis using in vitro cell culture and in vivo animal models of clear cell renal cell carcinoma...
- Malignant melanoma in the 21st century: the emerging molecular landscapeAleksandar Sekulic
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 83:825-46. 2008..We review the emerging molecular landscape of melanoma and its implications for better management of patients with melanoma...
- Expression of the type III TGF-beta receptor is negatively regulated by TGF-betaNadine Hempel
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:905-12. 2008....
- Secreted frizzled-related protein 1 loss contributes to tumor phenotype of clear cell renal cell carcinomaMichelle L Gumz
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:4740-9. 2007..In an effort to gain a better understanding of signaling events in clear cell RCC (cRCC), we investigated the antitumor activity of secreted frizzled-related protein 1 (sFRP1), a negative regulator of Wnt signaling...
- Genomic profiling identifies alterations in TGFbeta signaling through loss of TGFbeta receptor expression in human renal cell carcinogenesis and progressionJohn A Copland
Internal Medicine Department, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Oncogene 22:8053-62. 2003..In addition, these studies unequivocably demonstrate a link between loss of TBR3 and a human disease...
- Lower expression levels of the transforming growth factor beta receptor type II protein are associated with a less aggressive tumor phenotype and improved survival among patients with clear cell renal cell carcinomaAlexander Scott Parker
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Hum Pathol 38:453-61. 2007..Data from this investigation are the first to suggest that loss of TbetaRII expression is associated with improved ccRCC patient survival, especially among those patients with less aggressive disease profiles at time of surgery...
- Lymphocyte activation antigen CD70 expressed by renal cell carcinoma is a potential therapeutic target for anti-CD70 antibody-drug conjugatesChe Leung Law
Seattle Genetics, Inc, Bothell, Washington 98021, USA
Cancer Res 66:2328-37. 2006....
- High sensitivity of in vivo detection of gold nanorods using a laser optoacoustic imaging systemMohammad Eghtedari
Center for Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0456, USA
Nano Lett 7:1914-8. 2007..Our results suggest that LOIS can be used for in vivo detection of gold nanorods at low concentrations and the nanoparticles can be engineered to enhance the diagnostic power of optoacoustic imaging...
- Potential nonhormonal therapeutics for medical treatment of leiomyomasSteven L Young
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Semin Reprod Med 22:121-30. 2004..The rationale, evidence, and potential for the use of each of these compounds in the treatment of leiomyomas are discussed...
- Gene therapy of uterine leiomyomas: adenovirus-mediated expression of dominant negative estrogen receptor inhibits tumor growth in nude miceAyman Al-Hendy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Tex, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1621-31. 2004..Leiomyomas (fibroids) are common estrogen-dependent uterine tumors with no effective medicinal treatment; hysterectomy is the mainstay of management...
- Atypical protein kinase Ciota plays a critical role in human lung cancer cell growth and tumorigenicityRoderick P Regala
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Biol Chem 280:31109-15. 2005..Our data indicate that PKCiota may be an attractive molecular target for mechanism-based therapies for treatment of lung cancer...
- Molecular diagnosis of a BRAF papillary thyroid carcinoma with multiple chromosome abnormalities and rare adrenal and hypothalamic metastasesJohn A Copland
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Thyroid 16:1293-302. 2006..Molecular characterization of thyroid tumors is rarely applied to patient management. Our aim was to demonstrate the application of molecular and cell biology to patient care...
- A p120 catenin isoform switch affects Rho activity, induces tumor cell invasion, and predicts metastatic diseaseMasahiro Yanagisawa
Department of Cancer Biology, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
J Biol Chem 283:18344-54. 2008..The data indicate that the increased expression of p120 isoform 1 during tumor progression contributes to the invasive phenotype of cadherin-deficient carcinomas and that the N-terminal domain of p120 is a valid therapeutic target...
- Inhibition of proliferation and estrogen receptor signaling by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma ligands in uterine leiomyomaKevin D Houston
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA
Cancer Res 63:1221-7. 2003..These results suggest that in uterine leiomyomas PPARgamma activation is growth inhibitory and that this inhibition is mediated at least in part by negative cross-talk between ER and PPAR signaling pathways...
- TGF Beta receptor biology in human renal cell carcinomaJOHN COPLAND; Fiscal Year: 2007..Completion of these studies will define the role of TbetaR3 loss in RCC carcinogenesis, the function of TbetaR3 in normal renal biology and carcinogenesis, and the mechanism of regulation of TbetaR3 in RCC biology. ..
- RhoB in cancer pathogenesis and as a target in combinatorial therapyROBERT SMALLRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TGF Beta receptor biology in human renal cell carcinomaJOHN COPLAND; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of these studies will define the role of TbetaR3 loss in RCC carcinogenesis, the function of TbetaR3 in normal renal biology and carcinogenesis, and the mechanism of regulation of TbetaR3 in RCC biology. ..