Affiliation: Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Location: Rochester, MN, USA
Scientific reviewer member of NIH study Section for since 2009
Committee member of American Association for Cancer Research-Minority in Cancer research (AACR-MICR) for Minority Serving Institution Faculty Scholar Awards Committee since 2011
Scientific Reviewer for DOD, Breast Cancer Research Program and Physical Imaging/Radiation Oncology Panel, May 3-9 2009.
Editorial Board member of The Open Acoustics Journal
Session Co-Organizer of ASME-IMECE Symposium Viscoelasticity of Biological Tissues (Topic) Oct.2008.
Editor, Vibrations and Acoustics in Biomedical Applications: Imaging and Diagnostics, ASME Press,2007
Fellow Member of American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM)
Member of Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
Member of American Medical Association
Member of American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Member of AACR-WICR (Women In Cancer Research)
Member of AACR-MICR (Minorities In Cancer Research)
Member of American Society for Breast Diseases
Session Co-Chair of AIUM annual Convention, March 2010
Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Member of Breast Clinic Staff Meeting, April 2012 - Present
Full Primary Member of Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, MCCC, (Cancer Imaging program) and Full Secondary Member of Women’s Cancer programs
Faculty Member of Mayo Clinic Center for Translational Science Activities (CTSA), 2008- Present
Member of Mayo Clinic Breast Clinic Research Committee
Scientist Reviewer for Austrian Science Fund (FWF) to evaluate of a National Research Network (NFN) of Vienna "Photoacoustic Imaging in Biology and Medicine", Jan. 17-20. 2011.
Session Chairperson at MEDICON-07, Ljubljana, Slovenia, June 26-29, 2007.
Identification and Differentiation of Breast Masses by a Novel Imaging Method The Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
PI: Azra Alizad, MD
BREAST VIBROACOUSTOGRAPHY WITH ARRAY PROBE National Institutes of Health-NCI PI: Azra Alizad, MD
Fiscal Year 2007 $291,348
BREAST VIBROACOUSTOGRAPHY WITH ARRAY PROBE . National Institutes of Health-NCI. PI: Azra Alizad, MD
A Novel Thyroid Imaging Method for Improving Specificity. AIUM Endowment for Education & Research grant.
PI: Azra Alizad
Project period: 2008-2011.
COMBINED ACOUSTIC IMAGING AND VISCOELASTIC PARAMETERS ESTIMATION IN BREAST CANCER R01, National Institute of Health-NCI PI: Azra Alizad, MD
Fiscal Year: 2011 $423,873
COMBINED ACOUSTIC IMAGING AND VISCOELASTIC PARAMETERS ESTIMATION IN BREAST CANCER R01, National Institute of Health-NCI
PI: Azra Alizad, MD
Fiscal Year 2012 $488,454
COMBINED ACOUSTIC IMAGING AND VISCOELASTIC PARAMETERS ESTIMATION IN BREAST CANCER R01, National Institute of Health-NCI
PI: Azra Alizad, MD
Fiscal Year 2013
A new ultrasound-based technique for quantitative assessment of infant bone,
Mayo Clinic NIH Relief Grant Award (R21 HD70129),
PI: Azra Alizad.
Project Period July 3, 2012-June 30, 2014
1. In vivo thyroid vibro-acoustography: a pilot study. 2013, BMC Medical Imaging 13:12. doi: 10.1186/1471-2342-13-12. PMID:, PMCID:PMC361824.
2. Ultrasound bladder vibrometry (UBV) method for measuring viscoelasticity of the bladder wall, April 2013. Phys. Med. Biol. 58 (8), pp.2675-2695. PMID:. DOI:10.1088/0031-9155/58/8/2675.
3. Application of Vibro-Acoustography in Prostate Tissue Imaging. 2013 Medical Physics Vol.40 (2), pp: 022902. PMID:. PMCID:3562334. DOI:10.1118/1.4773890.
4. A Beamforming Study for Implementation of Vibro-Acoustography with a 1.75-D Array Transducer. March 2013, IEEE-Trans. Ultra. Ferro. Frequ. Contr. Vol.60 (3), pp. 535-52. xdoi:10.1109/TUFFC.2013.2595. PMID: PMCID:PMC3610531, NIHMSID: 452418.
5. Breast vibro-acoustography: initial results show promise. 2012, Breast Cancer Research, 14(5):R128. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:. DOI:10.1186/bcr3323.
6. Vibro-acoustography Beam Formation with Reconfigurable Arrays. 2012, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 59 (7), pp. 1421-31. PMCID: 408637
7. Vibro-acoustography and multifrequency image compounding. Ultrasonics. 2011; 51:689-96. PMCID: PMID:. PMCID:3090462. DOI:10.1016/j.ultras.2011.02.001.
8. A review of vibro-acoustography and its potential applications in medicine. 2011, Current Medical Imaging Reviews 7(4), 350-359. PMID:. PMCID:3298414.
9. Thermal safety of vibro-acoustography using a confocal transducer. 2010, Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology 36(2):343-9. PMID:. PMCID:2835550. DOI:10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2009.10.003.
10. Vibro-acoustography imaging of permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds in an excised human prostate – Preliminary results and technical feasibility. Ultrasonics, 2009, Vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 389-94. PMID:. PMCID:2715013. DOI:10.1016/j.ultras.2008.10.011.
11. Image features in medical vibro-acoustography: In vitro and in vivo results. 2008. Ultrasonics “special issue” 48; 559–562, PMID: . PMCID:2651638. DOI:10.1016/j.ultras.2008.04.014.
12. Prostate cryotherapy monitoring using vibro-acoustography – Preliminary results of an ex-vivo study and technical feasibility. 2008, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 55(11):2584-2592. PMID:. PMCID:2758914. DOI:10.1109/TBME.2008.2001284.
13. Integration of vibro-acoustography imaging modality with the traditional mammography. 2007, Int J Biomed Imaging.:40980, 8 pages. PMID: . PMCID: PMC1893012. DOI:10.1155/2007/40980.
14. Critical issues in breast imaging by vibro-acoustography. 2006, Ultrasonics 44 Suppl 1:e217-220. PMID:. DOI:10.1016/j.ultras.2006.06.021.
15. Vibrational characteristics of fracture and fracture repair of an excised rat femur: Application to excised rat femurs. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 2006, 128(3):300-308. PMID:. DOI:10.1115/1.2187037.
16. Potential applications of vibro-acoustography in breast imaging. 2005 Technol Cancer Res Treat 4(2):151-8, (Invited Paper). PMID: .
17. Characteristics of audio sound generated by ultrasound imaging systems. 2005, Journal of Acoustic Society of America, 117(3):1448-55, PMID:.
18. Application of vibro-acoustography for detection of calcified arteries in breast tissues. 2004, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 23:267-273, PMID: .
19. Performance of Vibro-acoustography in detecting of microcalcifications in excised human breast tissue: A study on 74 breast tissue samples. 2004, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 23(3): 307-312. PMID: . DOI:10.1109/TMI.2004.824241.
20. Imaging mass lesions by vibro-acoustography: Modeling and experiment. 2004. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 23(9):1087-93, PMID:. DOI:10.1109/TMI.2004.828674.
21. Detection of calcium deposits on heart valve leaflets by vibro-acoustography: An in vitro study. 2002, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 15(11):1391-1395,. PMID:.
22. Vibro-acoustic tissue mammography. 2002, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 21(1):1-8, PMID: . DOI:10.1109/42.981229.
23. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 8. Organ systems. 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(8): 796-800. PMID:.
24. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 7. Complex genetic disorders. 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(7):707-14, PMID:.
25. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 6. 2000, Complex cardiovascular defects. Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(6):637-643. PMID:.
26. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 5. Tumors: 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(5):421-6. PMID: .
27. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 4. Connective tissue. 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(4):325-330, PMID:.
28. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 3. Shunts. 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(3):248-253. PMID:.
29. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 2. Storage disease. 2000, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(2):164-170, PMID:.
30. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: Part 1. 2000Cardiomyopathy. Journal of American Society of Echocardiography 13(1):73-86. PMID:.
31. Detection of native heart valve calcification with vibro-acoustography. 2001, Circulation 104(17suppl): II-354.
32. Etiology and neurological complications of bacterial meningitis in 189 patients. 1997, Acta Medica Iranica 35(1&2):33-38.
33. Intestinal anthrax with massive ascites and peritonitis in a two-year-old child. 1995, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal 14(5):394-395.
34. Rapid diagnosis of septicemia by hematologic tests. 1995, Iran J Pediatr 5(18): pp. 119-130.
35. Shigellosis: A survey of 2001 patients. 1992, Iran J Pediatr 4 (14): pp.115-125.
36. Diagnostic Value of endotoxin test in gram-negative septicemia. 1992, Iran J Pediatr, 4 (l3): pp. 85-104.
37. Vibro-acoustography: Identifying breast lesions via a new imaging modality. 2007, RT image Magazine 20(32):32-34, (Invited Feature article).
38. Breast Vibro-acoustography. In: Suri J. S., Rangayyan R. M., Laxminarayan S. Eds.: Emerging Technologies in Breast Imaging and its Applications. 2006, American Scientific Publishers (ASP), Valencia, USA, Chapter 11, pp. 197-205, (Invited). ISBN-10: 158883090X | ISBN-13: 978-
39. Biomedical Applications of Vibrations and Acoustics in Therapy, Bioeffects and Modeling. 2008, ASME Press, NY, NY, ISBN-10: | ISBN-13: 978- | Edition: 1
40. Vibro-acoustography by using 1.75D ultrasound array transducer to detect and localize permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds: ex vivo study, 2013, Proc. SPIE, Medical Imaging 2013: Ultrasonic Imaging, Tomography, and Therapy, Vol. 86750. doi:10.1117/12.2007367.
41. Model-free compression creep method for differentiation of lesion from background tissue. 2012, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, pp. 2533-35.
42. Vibro-acoustography beamforming and imaging with a 1.75D array transducer, 2011, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, PP. 672-675. ISSN: 1948-5719, doi: 10.1109/ULTSYM.2011.0163. INSPEC Accession Number:
43. Vibro-acoustography beam formation with reconfigurable arrays. 2011, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 130, (4 pt 2):2425.
44. Acoustic versus ultrasonic breast imaging. 2010, Proceedings of 20th International Congress on Acoustics, Vol.1, 84-87. ISBN: 978-0-646-54052-8.
45. Applications of low-frequency vibration in assessment of biological tissue. 2010, The 17th International Congress on Sound & Vibration, pp. 3617-24. ISBN: 978-1-61782-255-1
46. Beamforming for vibro-acoustography using a 1.75D array transducer. 2010, J of Acout. Soc. Am. 127(3 Pt.2):1828. ISSN: 0001-4966 (print), doi.org/10.1121/1.3384241
47. Vibro-acoustic imaging during permanent prostate brachytherapy and biopsy. 2010, Proceeding of Eur Urol Suppl Volume 9, Issue 2, Page 234. doi:10.1016/S1569-9056(10)60702-6.
48. A novel thyroid imaging method for improving specificity. 2010, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 29(3 Suppl.):S6.
49. Updates on thyroid imaging by vibro-acoustography. 2011, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 30:S96.
50. Vibro-acoustography with rotational liner array transducer. 2010. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 128(4 pt 2):2363. doi.org/10.1121/1.3508388, IOSSN: 0001-4966 (print)
51. Tissue heating in vibro-acoustography. 2009, J. of Acoust. Soc. Am., 126(4 Pt. 2):2176. DOI:10.1121/1.3248501.
52. Frequency compounding in multifrequency vibro-acoustography. 2009, Proceeding of SPIE, Vol.7265, pp. 11-18, doi:10.1117/12.811770
53. Progress in in-vivo application of vibro-acoustography for breast lesion detection. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2009. (Supplement), Vol. 27, No. 3 (Suppl.), pp. 97-98.
54. Identification of prostate tissue structures and lesions by vibro-acoustography: An in-vitro study. 2007, Official Publication of the 19th International Congress on Acoustics, 38:1-5. ISBN:
55. A novel acoustic method for vibrational analysis of Large Bones. 2007, Proceeding of ICTCA2007 Annex, pp. 427-433.
56. Selected applications of dynamic radiation force of ultrasound in biomedicine. 2007, IFMBE Proceedings, Vol.16, pp.1021-4. doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-73044-6_264, Online ISBN: 978-3-540-73044-6, Print ISBN: 978-3-540-73043-9
57. In vivo breast vibro-acoustography: Recent results and new challenges. 2006 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, 1659-62. doi:10.1109/ULTSYM.2006.419
58. Comparative study of vibro-acoustography and B-mode ultrasound in prostate imaging. May 2008, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 123(5 pt. 2): 3788-3789. dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.2935448, ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
59. Prostate imaging by vibro-acoustography: An in-vitro study. 2008, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine (Suppl) 27(3):S97-S98.
60. Vibro-acoustography of Thyroid. 2007, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 122(5 pt 2):3026. (Invited). dx.doi.org/10.1121/1.2942820, ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
61. Long bone vibration: Modeling and experimental measurements. 2006, In: Imaging the Future Medicine. Proceeding of WC (MPBE), pp. 2679-82.
62. Fusion of vibro-acoustography images and X-ray mammography. 2007, Proceeding of IEEE-EMBS, pp. 2803-2806. E-ISBN : 1-4244-003303, 1-4244-0032-5, doi:10.1109/IEMBS.2006.259426
63. Estimating elastic the properties of tissue. 2006, Proceeding of 2nd IC-SCCE (International Congress from Scientific Computing to computational Engineering), pp. 1-6.
64. Spectral characteristics of breast vibro-acoustography Images. 2006, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 120(5 pt 2):3269. ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
65. Progress in detection of breast lesions by vibro-acoustography: Preliminary in-vivo results. 2006, J Ultrasound Med (Suppl) 25(3):S9-S10, Invited).
66. Registration of vibro-acoustography images and X-ray mammography. 2006, Proceedings of IEEE-EMBS pp.1846-9. Print ISBN: 0-7803-8741-4, INSPEC Accession Number: 9208715, doi: 10.1109/IEMBS.2005.1616809
67. A Novel acoustical method for breast imaging. 2005, IFMBE (International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering) Proceedings; 11(1):1-4. PMID: . PMCID: 1458530.
68. Image artifacts in vibro-acoustography. 2005, Proceedings of the 7th IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing pp 570-72.
69. Progress in breast vibro-acoustography: Imaging breast lesions. 2007, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 121(5 pt 2):3110. (Invited) ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
70. Vibro-acoustography: Recent advances and future promises, 2005, Journal of Acoustical Society of America 118(3, pt 2): 2005. ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
71. In vivo breast vibro-acoustography. 2005, Journal of Acoustical Society of America 117(4 pt 2):2586. doi.org/10.1121/1.1852856, ISSN: 0001-4966 (print)
72. Monitoring bone fracture and healing by radiation force of ultrasound. 2005, J Ultrasound Med 24:S20.
73. An acoustic method for assessing bone fracture and healing. BONE - Official Journal of the International Bone and Mineral Society; 36 (Suppl 1), pp. S100-1; May 2005. ISSN: 8756-3282
74. Applications of low frequency vibration in biomedicine. 2005, Proceeding of NOVEM April pp1-8.
75. In vivo imaging with vibro-acoustography. 2005, Proceedings of the 34th Annual UIA (Ultrasonic Industry Association) Symposium. Should be added
76. Detection of liver lesions by vibro-acoustography. 2005, Proceeding of SPIE Medical Imaging, pp. 5750: 503-6.
77. The effects of fracture and fracture repair on the vibrational characteristics of an excised rat femur. 2004, Proceedings of IEEE 2004 Ultrasonic Symposium, pp.1513-6, doi:10.1109/ULTSYM.2004.1418090
78. Detection of calcified arteries in breast tissue by vibro-acoustography: implications on diagnosis of coronary artery diseases. 2003, IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium Proceeding, Vol.2, 1515-1518. doi:10.1109/ULTSYM.2003.1293194
79. Detection of tissue reaction to foreign bodies. 2003, Proceedings of 5th World Congress on Ultrasonics, pp.389-92. ISBN: OCLC Number:
80. Evaluating tissue characteristics from vibration pattern of implants. Proceedings of 10th International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2003: pp. 3621-8.
81. A study of microcalcifications detection in breast tissue by vibro-acoustography. 2003, Proceedings of 10th International Congress on Sound and Vibration pp. 3629-36.
82. Manifestations of solid masses in vibro-acoustography. 2002, Proceedings of the Ninth International Congress on Sound and Vibration, pp. 300-306.
83. Detection of breast microcalcifications by vibro-acoustography: advantages and limitations. 2001, Proceedings of the 17th International Congress on Acoustics, pp. 1-4.
84. Neurobrucellosis in children: 3 cases. 1992, Proceedings of the National Brucellosis Conference, Iran, pp. 90-98.
85. Introducing a New Ultrasound-Based Technique for Quantitative Assessment of Infant Bone, Abstract book of American Academy of Pediatric annual national conference, pp. 8; 2012.
86. In vivo breast vibro-acoustography with one- and 1.75-dimensional array transducers, Abstract Book of EUROSON, p. 222; 2012.
87. Introducing a novel acoustic imaging tool for breast cancer detection. 2012, Abstract book of the AACR Annual Meeting 53:981.
88. Applications of low-frequency vibration in assessment of biological tissues. 2010, The 17th International Congress on Sound & Vibration, Book of Abstracts; p.32.
89. Vibro-acoustography Manifestations in different pathology, 2009, ASME book of abstracts.
90. Introducing a novel technique for breast lesion imaging. 2009, American Society of Breast Disease 33rd Annual Symposium, poster 2.
91. Detection of thyroid nodules by a novel acoustic imaging method: An in-vitro study. 2009, International Congress on Ultrasonics, Book of abstracts, pp. 35.
92. Detection of breast lesions by a novel acoustic imaging method: Preliminary in-vivo results. 2008, International Medical Care & Diagnostic, Book of abstracts, p.83.
93. Use of vibro-acoustography for imaging prostate tissue structure and identifying prostate lesions. 2007, Proceedings of the 15th SPORE Investigator’s Workshop.
94. Identification of prostate tissue structures and lesions by vibro-acoustography: an in-vitro study. 2007, 19th International Congress on Acoustics, Book of Abstracts, pp. 371.
95. Application of dynamic radiation force of ultrasound and tissue acoustic response in medical imaging. 2007, 19th International Congress on Acoustics, Book of Abstracts, pp. 371.
96. Image features in medical vibro-acoustography. 2007, International Congress on Ultrasonics, Book of Abstracts 207: 211-212. (Invited).
97. Update in breast vibro-acoustography: In-vivo results. 2007, J Ultrasound Med (Suppl.).
98. In vivo breast imaging by vibro-acoustography: a novel imaging modality. 2006, ICR Book of abstracts, p 104.
99. Introducing a novel imaging method called vibro-acoustography for breast cancer detection: in vivo studies. 2006, EACR19, Book of abstracts p.190.
100. Studying modes of vibration in bone by ultrasound. 2005, Proceedings of ICSV12.
101. Detection of mass lesions in soft tissue by vibro-acoustography. 2005, SPIE Medical Imaging, 12-17, pp. 219.
102. Bone evaluation by radiation force of ultrasound. 2004, proceedings of 16th Bone Densitometry Workshop.
103. Detection of calcified arteries in breast tissue by vibro-acoustography. 2003, IEEE 2003 Ultrasonic Symposium, Book of abstracts, pp.257-259.
104. Manifestation of solid masses in vibro-acoustography. 2002, 9th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, p.39.
105. Application of vibro-acoustography in breast imaging. 2001, Mayo Research Forum.
106. Vibro-acoustography of soft tissue: Preliminary experimental results. 2001, 26th International Acoustical Imaging Symposium, p.30.
107. Detection of breast microcalcifications by vibro-acoustography: Advantages and limitations. 2001, 17th International Congress on Acoustics, p 212.
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 3. Shunts. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:248-53 pubmed
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 2. Storage disease. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:164-70 pubmed
- Alizad A, Mehrmohammadi M, Mitri F, Davis B, Sebo T, Mynderse L, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Med Phys. 2013;40:022902 pubmed publisher..The results of this pilot study suggest that in vivo VA imaging of the prostate may be of clinical utility. ..
- Urban M, Chalek C, Haider B, Thomenius K, Fatemi M, Alizad A. A beamforming study for implementation of vibro-acoustography with a 1.75-D array transducer. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2013;60:535-51 pubmed publisher..75-D array transducer offers several advantages over scanning with a linear-array transducer, including improved image resolution and contrast resulting from better elevation focusing of the imaging point-spread function. ..
- Alizad A, Whaley D, Greenleaf J, Fatemi M. Critical issues in breast imaging by vibro-acoustography. Ultrasonics. 2006;44 Suppl 1:e217-20 pubmed
- Urban M, Alizad A, Aquino W, Greenleaf J, Fatemi M. A Review of Vibro-acoustography and its Applications in Medicine. Curr Med Imaging Rev. 2011;7:350-359 pubmed..These studies have shown that vibro-acoustic data can be used for quantitative evaluation of elastic properties. This paper presents an overview of vibro-acoustography and its applications in the areas of biomedicine. ..
- Urban M, Alizad A, Fatemi M. Vibro-acoustography and multifrequency image compounding. Ultrasonics. 2011;51:689-96 pubmed publisher..This paper presents theory describing the physical origin of this artifact and use of image data created using multifrequency vibro-acoustography for reducing reverberation artifacts. ..
- Alizad A, Whaley D, Greenleaf J, Fatemi M. Image features in medical vibro-acoustography: in vitro and in vivo results. Ultrasonics. 2008;48:559-62 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that vibro-acoustography offers features that may be valuable for diagnostic purposes. ..
- GholamHosseini H, Alizad A, Fatemi M. Fusion of vibro-acoustography images and X-ray mammography. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2803-6 pubmed..By combining the information from X-ray mammogram and VA modalities into a single image, the accuracy of mammography interpretation which is important for women's health can be increased. ..
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 1. Cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:73-86 pubmed..topics will be explored, with examples from the database of the Mayo Clinic Echocardiography Laboratory:Cardiomyopathy Storage disease Shunts Connective tissue Tumors Complex cardiovascular defects Complex genetic disorders Organ system ..
- Alizad A, Walch M, Greenleaf J, Fatemi M. Vibrational characteristics of bone fracture and fracture repair: application to excised rat femur. J Biomech Eng. 2006;128:300-8 pubmed
- Pitruzzello A, Krassowska W, Lam A, Idriss S. A MULTICHANNEL FIBER-OPTIC MAPPING SYSTEM FOR INTRAMURAL RECORDING OF CARDIAC ACTION POTENTIALS. IFMBE Proc. 2005;11:nihms8476 pubmed..In addition, the system is highly flexible and can be used for virtually any experiment from single cell recording to surface and transmural mapping of the whole heart. ..
- Fatemi M, Alizad A, Greenleaf J. Characteristics of the audio sound generated by ultrasound imaging systems. J Acoust Soc Am. 2005;117:1448-55 pubmed..These findings suggest that fetuses may become exposed to a high-intensity audio sound during maternal ultrasound examinations. Therefore, contrary to common beliefs, ultrasound may not be considered a passive tool in fetal imaging. ..
- Alizad A, Whaley D, Greenleaf J, Fatemi M. Potential applications of vibro-acoustography in breast imaging. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2005;4:151-8 pubmed..In addition, we will briefly discuss our recent results of in vivo breast vibro-acoustography. Future developments and potential impact of vibro-acoustography in breast imaging are also discussed. ..
- Alizad A, Fatemi M, Wold L, Greenleaf J. Performance of vibro-acoustography in detecting microcalcifications in excised human breast tissue: a study of 74 tissue samples. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2004;23:307-12 pubmed..The results indicate that in most cases micro-calcifications can be detected by vibro-acoustography. Further development of vibro-acoustography may lead to a novel-imaging tool for in vivo detection of microcalcifications. ..
- Fatemi M, Wold L, Alizad A, Greenleaf J. Vibro-acoustic tissue mammography. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2002;21:1-8 pubmed..Resulting vibro-acoustographic images show microcalcifications with high contrast with respect to the background soft tissue. Structures such as dense sclerotic tissue do not seem to interfere with detection of microcalcifications. ..
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 8. Organ system. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:796-800 pubmed
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 6. Complex cardiovascular defects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:637-43 pubmed
- Mitri F, Davis B, Urban M, Alizad A, Greenleaf J, Lischer G, et al. Vibro-acoustography imaging of permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds in an excised human prostate--preliminary results and technical feasibility. Ultrasonics. 2009;49:389-94 pubmed publisher..The results presented in this research show that VA allows seed detection within a human prostate regardless of their orientation, as well as imaging intra-prostatic calcifications. ..
- Chen S, Aquino W, Alizad A, Urban M, Kinnick R, Greenleaf J, et al. Thermal safety of vibro-acoustography using a confocal transducer. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2010;36:343-9 pubmed publisher..05 degrees C for all three attenuation coefficients evaluated: 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7 dB/cm/MHz. Transducer self-heating during a single VA scan measured by a thermocouple is less than 0.27 degrees C. ..
- Alizad A, Seward J. Echocardiographic features of genetic diseases: part 7. Complex genetic disorders. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2000;13:707-14 pubmed
- Nayak R, Kumar V, Webb J, Gregory A, Fatemi M, Alizad A. Non-contrast agent based small vessel imaging of human thyroid using motion corrected power Doppler imaging. Sci Rep. 2018;8:15318 pubmed publisher..The results of this feasibility study were encouraging, and warrant further development and more in vivo validation in moving tissues and organs. ..