Elsa F Velazquez
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Histologic grade and perineural invasion are more important than tumor thickness as predictor of nodal metastasis in penile squamous cell carcinoma invading 5 to 10 mmElsa F Velazquez
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02445, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:974-9. 2008..The probability of inguinal node metastasis in patients with grade 1 tumors without perineural invasion is almost nonexistent whereas for high-grade tumors associated with perineural invasion is near 80%...
- Desmoplastic/spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. A diagnostically challenging tumor mimicking a scar: clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 6 casesElsa F Velazquez
Departments of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 32:333-9. 2010..Careful search for atypical features and squamous differentiation, immunohistochemical studies, and, in some cases, deeper sections are required to establish the diagnosis...
- Penile squamous cell carcinoma: anatomic, pathologic and viral studies in Paraguay (1993-2007)Elsa F Velazquez
Pathology Department, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 29:185-98. 2007..Probable precursor lesions of penile carcinoma include squamous hyperplasia, low and high grade squamous intraepithelial neoplasia and lichen sclerosus...
- Clinical relevance of neutral endopeptidase (NEP/CD10) in melanomaElsa F Velazquez
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Transl Med 5:2. 2007..We investigated the role of NEP expression in the clinical progression of cutaneous melanoma...
- Positive resection margins in partial penectomies: sites of involvement and proposal of local routes of spread of penile squamous cell carcinomaElsa F Velazquez
New York University Medical Center, Department of Pathology, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:384-9. 2004....
- Epithelial abnormalities and precancerous lesions of anterior urethra in patients with penile carcinoma: a report of 89 casesElsa F Velazquez
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mod Pathol 18:917-23. 2005..Keratinizing and hyperplastic squamous metaplasias may be important in the pathogenesis of special types of penile carcinomas such as verrucous carcinoma...
- Distinctive immunohistochemical profile of penile intraepithelial lesions: a study of 74 casesAlcides Chaux
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 35:553-62. 2011..The use of a triple p16/p53/Ki-67 immunohistochemical panel was found to be helpful in the classification, differential diagnosis, and morphologic standardization of penile intraepithelial lesions...
- Limitations in the interpretation of biopsies in patients with penile squamous cell carcinomaElsa F Velazquez
New York University Medical Center, NY, USA
Int J Surg Pathol 12:139-46. 2004....
- Immunity to the melanoma inhibitor of apoptosis protein (ML-IAP; livin) in patients with malignant melanomaJun Zhou
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Immunol Immunother 61:655-65. 2012..High frequency immune responses in melanoma patients, associations with favorable treatment outcomes, and its essential role in melanoma pathogenesis support the development of ML-IAP as a disease marker and therapeutic target...
- Histologic classification of penile intraepithelial neoplasiaElsa F Velazquez
Caris Life Sciences, Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 29:96-102. 2012..It takes into account the similarities between vulvar and penile pathology and the hypothesis of a bimodal pathway of penile cancer progression...
- Expression of the cancer/testis antigen NY-ESO-1 in primary and metastatic malignant melanoma (MM)--correlation with prognostic factorsElsa F Velazquez
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Cancer Immun 7:11. 2007..Our study suggests that patients with metastatic MM who express NY-ESO-1 may benefit from NY-ESO-1-based immunotherapy...
- Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the penis: a clinicopathologic study of 15 casesElsa F Velazquez
Department of Dermatology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:1152-8. 2005..Diffuse immunoreactivity for p53, compared with a more basal and focal reactivity in differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, may be indicative of a late mutation in the natural progression of the disease...
- New pathologic entities in penile carcinomas: an update of the 2004 world health organization classificationAlcides Chaux
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 29:59-66. 2012..In this review special emphasis is given to the differential diagnosis of these special variants with a discussion of the possible implications for clinical management...
- CTLA-4 blockade with ipilimumab induces significant clinical benefit in a female with melanoma metastases to the CNSF Stephen Hodi
Melanoma Program, Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 5:557-61. 2008..MRI of the spine and brain revealed multiple metastases. The patient received ipilimumab and after 3 months experienced intermittent confusion and focal seizures...
- Histopathologic spectrum of psoriasiform skin reactions associated with tumor necrosis factor-α inhibitor therapy. A study of 16 biopsiesAlvaro C Laga
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 32:568-73. 2010..Because the different histopathologic findings may be subtle, clinical correlation is crucial to make the diagnosis...
- Lichen sclerosus in 68 patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the penis: frequent atypias and correlation with special carcinoma variants suggests a precancerous roleElsa F Velazquez
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:1448-53. 2003..These findings suggest that lichen sclerosus may represent preneoplastic condition for at least some types of penile cancers, in particular those not related to human papillomavirus...
- Expression of the embryonic stem cell transcription factor SOX2 in human skin: relevance to melanocyte and merkel cell biologyAlvaro C Laga
Department of Pathology, Program in Dermatopathology, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Pathol 176:903-13. 2010..In aggregate, these findings suggest that SOX2 is a novel biomarker for subpopulations of normal skin cells that reside in established stem cell niches and that might relate to Merkel cell and melanocyte ontogeny and tumorigenesis...
- Infectious granulomatous dermatitis associated with Rothia mucilaginosa bacteremia: A case reportElizabeth A Morgan
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 32:175-9. 2010..mucilaginosa bacteremia and raises awareness of this unusual histopathological presentation in the setting of a bacterial infection affecting the skin...
- Major response to imatinib mesylate in KIT-mutated melanomaF Stephen Hodi
The Melanoma Program, Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2046-51. 2008
- Preputial variability and preferential association of long phimotic foreskins with penile cancer: an anatomic comparative study of types of foreskin in a general population and cancer patientsElsa F Velazquez
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:994-8. 2003..For these reasons we support preventive circumcision in patients with long and phimotic foreskins living in high-risk areas. Cancers not related to long foreskins and phimosis may be causally different...
- Aluminum granuloma after administration of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine. Report of a caseDerek K Marsee
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 30:622-4. 2008..Aluminum granulomas should be included in the differential diagnosis of deep granulomatous reaction in young women, due to the high frequency of vaccination in this population...
- Establishment of antitumor memory in humans using in vitro-educated CD8+ T cellsMarcus O Butler
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Sci Transl Med 3:80ra34. 2011..Therefore, this approach may broaden the availability of adoptive cell therapy to patients both alone and in combination with other therapeutic modalities...
- Carcinoma cuniculatum: a distinctive variant of penile squamous cell carcinoma: report of 7 casesJose E Barreto
Instituto de Patologia e Investigacion and Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Asuncion, Asuncion, Paraguay
Am J Surg Pathol 31:71-5. 2007..Unlike most subtypes of penile SCCs and despite the deep invasion, none of the tumors showed groin or systemic dissemination at time of diagnosis...
- Epithelial lesions associated with invasive penile squamous cell carcinoma: a pathologic study of 288 casesAntonio L Cubilla
Instituto de Patologia e Investigacion, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Asuncion, Paraguay
Int J Surg Pathol 12:351-64. 2004..The association and histologic similarities between high-grade SIL of the basaloid, warty, or mixed forms with their invasive counterparts indicate these lesions are their likely precursors...
- Pseudohyperplastic squamous cell carcinoma of the penis associated with lichen sclerosus. An extremely well-differentiated, nonverruciform neoplasm that preferentially affects the foreskin and is frequently misdiagnosed: a report of 10 cases of a distinctAntonio L Cubilla
, Asuncion, Paraguay
Am J Surg Pathol 28:895-900. 2004..Because it was present in all cases, lichen sclerosus may play a precancerous role...