Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- New trends in the management of oral mucositisStephen Sonis
Division of Dentistry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 3:S54-6. 2005
- Serum amyloid P ameliorates radiation-induced oral mucositis and fibrosisLynne A Murray
Promedior, Inc, 371 Phoenixville Pike, Malvern, PA, 19355, USA
Fibrogenesis Tissue Repair 3:11. 2010..To evaluate the effect of the anti-fibrotic protein serum amyloid P (SAP) on radiation-induced oral mucositis (OM) and fibrosis in a hamster cheek-pouch model...
- Oral mucositisStephen T Sonis
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Anticancer Drugs 22:607-12. 2011..Although there are currently few treatment options for oral mucositis at the moment, the recognition that its underlying biology is complex has provided a range of treatment options that are currently being developed...
- The relationship between mucosal cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression and experimental radiation-induced mucositisS T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Oral Oncol 40:170-6. 2004..The kinetics of COX-2 expression relative to mucositis progression suggests that COX-2 is not a primary driver of radiation injury, but instead plays an amplifying role...
- The pathobiology of mucositisStephen T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:277-84. 2004
- Perspectives on cancer therapy-induced mucosal injury: pathogenesis, measurement, epidemiology, and consequences for patientsStephen T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 100:1995-2025. 2004....
- Is oral mucositis an inevitable consequence of intensive therapy for hematologic cancers?Stephen T Sonis
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 2:134-5. 2005
- A biological approach to mucositisStephen T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine at Brigham and Women s Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Support Oncol 2:21-32; discussion 35-6. 2004..Each phase offers a potential target for therapeutic intervention...
- Oral mucositis in cancer therapyStephen T Sonis
Department of Oral Medicine Infection and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Support Oncol 2:3-8. 2004..Continued research is needed to optimize when these treatments should be administered during the course of cancer therapy to maximize therapeutic benefit...
- Pathobiology of oral mucositis: novel insights and opportunitiesStephen T Sonis
Department of Oral Medicine, Harvard Medical School Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Support Oncol 5:3-11. 2007..Insights into the mechanisms of oral mucositis are generating new approaches for effective, targeted treatment...
- Gene expression changes in peripheral blood cells provide insight into the biological mechanisms associated with regimen-related toxicities in patients being treated for head and neck cancersS Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine and Head and Neck Cancer, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, USA
Oral Oncol 43:289-300. 2007..to evaluate potential relationships between the expression of particular genes, canonical pathways, and functional networks in explaining the pathogenesis of regimen-related toxicities...
- Bony changes in the jaws of rats treated with zoledronic acid and dexamethasone before dental extractions mimic bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis in cancer patientsStephen T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine, Dana Farber Harvard Cancer Center, Boston, MA, United States
Oral Oncol 45:164-72. 2009....
- Oral complications of cancer therapyStephen T Sonis
Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 16:680-6; discussion 686, 691-2, 695. 2002..A surge of investigational interest has been directed at understanding the mechanisms of these stomatotoxicities and at developing treatment strategies to combat them...
- The gene expression sequence of radiated mucosa in an animal mucositis modelS T Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and the Department of Otal Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, USA
Cell Prolif 35:93-102. 2002..Our results demonstrate the sequential upregulation of a series of genes that, when taken collectively, suggest an intricate functional interaction...
- New thoughts on the initiation of mucositisS T Sonis
Harvard Farber Cancer Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Dis 16:597-600. 2010..This essay proposes new thoughts on the phase's components, how they might interact, and how they present new opportunities for treatment interventions and mucositis risk prediction...
- The biologic role for nuclear factor-kappaB in disease and its potential involvement in mucosal injury associated with anti-neoplastic therapyStephen T Sonis
Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13:380-9. 2002..This paper provides a review of the structure and function of NF-kappaB and speculates how its apparent enigmatic effect on normal and tumor cells may occur...
- Preliminary characterization of oral lesions associated with inhibitors of mammalian target of rapamycin in cancer patientsStephen Sonis
Division of Oral Medicine and Dentistry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA02115, USA
Cancer 116:210-5. 2010..An analysis of the appearance, course, and toxicity associations of mTOR inhibitor-associated stomatitis (mIAS) demonstrated that the condition is distinct from conventional mucositis (CM) and more closely resembles aphthous stomatitis...
- Regimen-related gastrointestinal toxicities in cancer patientsStephen T Sonis
Harvard Farber Cancer Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 4:26-30. 2010..The purpose of this review is to describe the scope, risk factors, pathobiology, and treatment opportunities for mucositis...
- Mucositis: The impact, biology and therapeutic opportunities of oral mucositisStephen T Sonis
Harvard Farber Cancer Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Oncol 45:1015-20. 2009..A number of eclectic molecules, all designed to interfere with pathways that lead to injury are in pre-clinical and clinical development...
- Attenuation of radiation- and chemoradiation-induced mucositis using gamma-D-glutamyl-L-tryptophan (SCV-07)B Watkins
Biomodels, L L C Watertown, MA, USA
Oral Dis 16:655-60. 2010..To evaluate the efficacy of a novel immunomodulating peptide (SCV-07) in attenuating the course of radiation-induced mucositis in an established animal model of oral mucositis (OM)...
- Management of oral mucositis in patients who have cancerRajesh V Lalla
Division of Oral Medicine, Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Connecticut Health Center MC 1605, 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Dent Clin North Am 52:61-77, viii. 2008..These agents are discussed in the context of recently updated evidence-based clinical management guidelines...
- Pathobiology of mucositisStephen T Sonis
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 20:11-5. 2004..To describe the pathogenesis of mucositis, summarize the techniques used to study the condition, and describe the current five-phase model that defines mucositis pathogenesis...
- Efficacy of superoxide dismutase mimetic M40403 in attenuating radiation-induced oral mucositis in hamstersChristopher K Murphy
ActivBiotics, Inc, Lexington, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:4292-7. 2008..The ability of i.p. administered M40403 to decrease the duration and severity of oral mucositis was assessed after treatment at different doses and dosing schedules. Oral mucositis was scored using the WHO grading scale...
- A phase I/II double-blind, placebo-controlled study of recombinant human interleukin-11 for mucositis and acute GVHD prevention in allogeneic stem cell transplantationJ H Antin
Department of Adult Oncology and Biostatistical Science, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 29:373-7. 2002..The use of IL-11 as GVHD prophylaxis in allogeneic transplantation cannot be recommended as administered in this trial...
- Caspase-11 is not necessary for chemotherapy-induced intestinal mucositisShin Jung Kang
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
DNA Cell Biol 23:490-5. 2004..These findings suggest that while caspase-11 activation occurs in response to melphalan, it does not have a primary role in the pathogenesis of intestinal mucositis...
- Microarrays and clinical dentistryWinston Patrick Kuo
Department of Oral Medicine, Infection and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:456-62. 2003....
- Gene expression profiling by DNA microarrays and its application to dental researchWinston Patrick Kuo
Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 188 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Oncol 38:650-6. 2002..The technology permits the simultaneous analysis of tens of thousands of genes for the purposes of gene discovery, disease diagnosis. improved drug development, and therapeutics tailored to specific disease processes...
- Deciphering gene expression profiles generated from DNA microarrays and their applications in oral medicineWinston Patrick Kuo
Department of Oral Medicine, Infection, and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Cambridge, MA 02115, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:584-91. 2004....
- Evaluation of pain associated with oral mucositis during the acute period after administration of high-dose chemotherapyDavid Cella
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60201, USA
Cancer 98:406-12. 2003..The findings of the current study may provide a clinical context for understanding the relation between objective indicators and patients' perceptions of OM...
- A phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multinational trial of iseganan for the prevention of oral mucositis in patients receiving stomatotoxic chemotherapy (PROMPT-CT trial)Francis J Giles
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 428, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 44:1165-72. 2003..6 and 2.0 (P = 0.0131). Iseganan was well tolerated; no systemic absorption was detected. Iseganan is safe and may be effective in reducing UOM and its clinical sequelae...
- Preclinical characterization of CG53135 (FGF-20) in radiation and concomitant chemotherapy/radiation-induced oral mucositisEnrique Alvarez
CuraGen Corp, Branford, Connecticut 06405, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:3454-61. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the activity of CG53135 (FGF-20), a protein with in vitro mitogenic activity on epithelial and mesenchymal cells, in two in vivo models of oral mucositis (OM)...
- Nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression in the oral mucosa following cancer chemotherapyRichard M Logan
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, North Terrace, SA 5005, Australia
Oral Oncol 43:395-401. 2007....
- Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of cancer therapy-induced oral and gastrointestinal mucositisEdward B Rubenstein
Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cancer 100:2026-46. 2004....
- Velafermin (rhFGF-20) reduces the severity and duration of hamster cheek pouch mucositis induced by fractionated radiationGulshan Ara
CuraGen Corporation, Branford, Connecticut, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 84:401-12. 2008..Our present study assessed the impact of velafermin on the severity and duration of oral mucositis that occurred as a consequence of fractionated radiation...
- Effects of ceramide inhibition on experimental radiation-induced oral mucositisDebby Hwang
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:321-9. 2005..In response to IR or other cellular stresses, ceramide production occurs either by the hydrolytic action of sphingomyelinase (SMase) or de novo via ceramide synthase...
- Characterisation of mucosal changes in the alimentary tract following administration of irinotecan: implications for the pathobiology of mucositisRichard M Logan
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, North Terrace, SA 5005, Australia
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:33-41. 2008....
- The role of pro-inflammatory cytokines in cancer treatment-induced alimentary tract mucositis: pathobiology, animal models and cytotoxic drugsRichard M Logan
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5005, Australia
Cancer Treat Rev 33:448-60. 2007....
- Updated clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of mucositisDorothy M Keefe
Department of Medical Oncology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Cancer 109:820-31. 2007..These efforts are likely to have significant clinical and economic impact on the treatment of cancer patients. Cancer 2007;109:820-31. (c) 2007 American Cancer Society...
- Serum levels of NFkappaB and pro-inflammatory cytokines following administration of mucotoxic drugsRichard M Logan
Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Cancer Biol Ther 7:1139-45. 2008..The aims of this study were to determine whether changes in serum levels of NFkappaB, TNF, IL-1beta and IL-6 following administration of different drugs predicted histological evidence of tissue damage...
- Emerging drugs for chemotherapy-induced mucositisDorothy M Keefe
Royal Adelaide Hospital, RAH Cancer Centre, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 13:511-22. 2008..The pathobiology of mucositis is complex, and agents that target mechanisms to prevent mucositis or accelerate healing are in high demand...
- Antimicrobial therapy to prevent or treat oral mucositisJ Peter Donnelly
Supportive Care Studies, Department of Haematology, University Medical Centre, St Radboud, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Lancet Infect Dis 3:405-12. 2003..Hence, there is a need to better understand the role of the microflora in the cause of oral mucositis if an antimicrobial agent for prevention and treatment of this disease is to be developed...