Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- System dynamics and dysfunctionalities: levers for overcoming emergency department overcrowdingGordon D Schiff
Brigham and Women s Hospital Center for Patient Safety Research and Practice, Division of General Medicine Primary Care Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 18:1255-61. 2011....
- Principles of conservative prescribingGordon D Schiff
Center for Patient Safety Research and Practice, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:1433-40. 2011....
- Medical error: a 60-year-old man with delayed care for a renal massGordon D Schiff
Center for Patient Safety Research and Practice, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
JAMA 305:1890-8. 2011..Emerging test management systems and critical test follow-up recommendations illustrate how applying these principles can enhance this important aspect of patient safety...
- Diagnostic error in medicine: analysis of 583 physician-reported errorsGordon D Schiff
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 1620 Tremont St, Third Floor, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1881-7. 2009..To better understand the types, causes, and prevention of such errors, we surveyed clinicians to solicit perceived cases of missed and delayed diagnoses...
- Introduction to special theme issue on health insurance in the United StatesGordon Schiff
Division of General Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Med Care 46:1003-8. 2008
- Minimizing diagnostic error: the importance of follow-up and feedbackGordon D Schiff
Division of General Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Med 121:S38-42. 2008
- Negative appendectomy rate in the era of CT: an 18-year perspectiveAli S Raja
Center for Evidence Based Imaging, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Radiology 256:460-5. 2010....
- Participation in an ambulatory e-pharmacovigilance systemJennifer S Haas
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:961-9. 2010....
- Ability of practitioners to identify solid oral dosage tabletsGordon D Schiff
Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, John Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:838-43. 2006..Physicians' and pharmacists' ability to correctly identify three commonly used oral dosage forms was assessed...
- Failure to recognize and act on abnormal test results: the case of screening bone densitometryPeter Cram
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 31:90-7. 2005..Failure to follow up on abnormal test results is common. A model was developed to capture the reasons why providers did not take action on abnormal test results...
- Missed hypothyroidism diagnosis uncovered by linking laboratory and pharmacy dataGordon D Schiff
Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, 1900 W Polk Street, Rm 901, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:574-7. 2005....
- Evaluating physician performance at individualizing care: a pilot study tracking contextual errors in medical decision makingSaul J Weiner
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Med Decis Making 27:726-34. 2007..The purpose of this study was to develop and test a methodology for measuring physicians' performance at contextualizing care and compare it to their performance at planning biomedically appropriate care...
- Introduction: Communicating critical test resultsGordon D Schiff
Department of Medicine, Cook County Stroger Hospital, Chicago, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 31:63-5, 61. 2005..The need for improving the timeliness of the communication of critical test results is reflected in a Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goal and is the basis for this special issue of the Journal...