Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Biomarkers in the psychotherapeutic relationship: the role of physiology, neurobiology, and biological correlates of E.M.P.A.T.H.YHelen Riess
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 19:162-74. 2011..M.P.A.T.H.Y. mnemonic, that may guide and enhance psychotherapy. Empathic attunement to patients is equally relevant for psychopharmacologic interventions and psychotherapy, and for all patient-doctor relationships...
- Empathy training for resident physicians: a randomized controlled trial of a neuroscience-informed curriculumHelen Riess
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:1280-6. 2012..Physician empathy is an essential attribute of the patient-physician relationship and is associated with better outcomes, greater patient safety and fewer malpractice claims...
- Integrative time-limited group therapy for bulimia nervosaHelen Riess
Eating Disorders Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
Int J Group Psychother 52:1-26. 2002..This identification is valuable in directing future treatment, if needed. Pilot data for this approach are presented...
- Teaching the teachers: a model course for psychodynamic psychotherapy supervisorsHelen Riess
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Wang ACC 812, 15 Parkman St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Acad Psychiatry 32:259-64. 2008..There are no standard training programs for teaching psychotherapy supervisors effective, ethical, and legal aspects of supervision. This article describes an eight session training course containing essential information for supervisors...
- Improving empathy and relational skills in otolaryngology residents: a pilot studyHelen Riess
Psychiatry Department, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 144:120-2. 2011..A trend toward increased patient satisfaction was observed...
- The clinical relevance of psychophysiology: support for the psychobiology of empathy and psychodynamic processCarl Marci
Psychotherapy Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 15 Parkman Street, WACC 812, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Psychother 59:213-26. 2005..The implications of the case in support of the role of empathy in psychotherapy are discussed...
- E.m.p.a.T.h.y.: a tool to enhance nonverbal communication between clinicians and their patientsHelen Riess
Dr Riess is associate clinical professor of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, and Director, Empathy and Relational Science Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts Mr Kraft Todd is clinical research coordinator, Empathy and Relational Science Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, and lab manager, Human Cooperation Lab, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Acad Med 89:1108-12. 2014..A detailed description of the E.M.P.A.T.H.Y. acronym and a brief summary of the literature that supports each component of the teaching tool are provided. ..
- The influence of the patient-clinician relationship on healthcare outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJohn M Kelley
Empathy and Relational Science Program, Psychiatry Department, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America Psychology Department, Endicott College, Beverly, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e94207. 2014..To determine whether the patient-clinician relationship has a beneficial effect on either objective or validated subjective healthcare outcomes...
- The formulation as a collaborative conversationChris Gordon
Harv Rev Psychiatry 13:112-23. 2005