Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Biomarkers in the psychotherapeutic relationship: the role of physiology, neurobiology, and biological correlates of E.M.P.A.T.H.YHelen Riess
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 19:162-74. 2011..M.P.A.T.H.Y. mnemonic, that may guide and enhance psychotherapy. Empathic attunement to patients is equally relevant for psychopharmacologic interventions and psychotherapy, and for all patient-doctor relationships...
- Empathy training for resident physicians: a randomized controlled trial of a neuroscience-informed curriculumHelen Riess
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:1280-6. 2012..Physician empathy is an essential attribute of the patient-physician relationship and is associated with better outcomes, greater patient safety and fewer malpractice claims...
- Integrative time-limited group therapy for bulimia nervosaHelen Riess
Eating Disorders Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
Int J Group Psychother 52:1-26. 2002..This identification is valuable in directing future treatment, if needed. Pilot data for this approach are presented...
- Teaching the teachers: a model course for psychodynamic psychotherapy supervisorsHelen Riess
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Wang ACC 812, 15 Parkman St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Acad Psychiatry 32:259-64. 2008..There are no standard training programs for teaching psychotherapy supervisors effective, ethical, and legal aspects of supervision. This article describes an eight session training course containing essential information for supervisors...
- Improving empathy and relational skills in otolaryngology residents: a pilot studyHelen Riess
Psychiatry Department, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 144:120-2. 2011..A trend toward increased patient satisfaction was observed...
- The clinical relevance of psychophysiology: support for the psychobiology of empathy and psychodynamic processCarl Marci
Psychotherapy Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 15 Parkman Street, WACC 812, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Psychother 59:213-26. 2005..The implications of the case in support of the role of empathy in psychotherapy are discussed...
- The formulation as a collaborative conversationChris Gordon
Harv Rev Psychiatry 13:112-23. 2005