G I Papakostas
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Papakostas G, Charles D, Fava M. Are typical starting doses of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors sub-optimal? A meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-finding studies in major depressive disorder. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2010;11:300-7 pubmed publisher..Developing treatment strategies allowing clinicians to deliver higher initial SSRI doses while enhancing the tolerability of treatment may represent an alternative approach to improving the efficacy of treatment of MDD. ..
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Iosifescu D, Burns A, Nierenberg A, Alpert J, et al. Obesity among outpatients with major depressive disorder. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2005;8:59-63 pubmed..Greater relative body weight, but not obesity, predicted non-response. In conclusion, greater relative body weight was found to place MDD outpatients at risk for fluoxetine resistance. ..
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Denninger J, Tossani E, Pava J, Alpert J, et al. Psychosocial functioning during the treatment of major depressive disorder with fluoxetine. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004;24:507-11 pubmed
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Farabaugh A, Murakami J, Pava J, Alpert J, et al. Psychiatric comorbidity as a predictor of clinical response to nortriptyline in treatment-resistant major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:1357-61 pubmed..The presence of avoidant personality disorder conferred a poorer prognosis in treatment-resistant depression patients treated with nortriptyline. ..
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Iosifescu D, Roffi P, Alpert J, Rosenbaum J, et al. Axis III disorders in treatment-resistant major depressive disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2003;118:183-8 pubmed..Thus, the present results cannot be generalized to such populations. ..
- Papakostas G, Fava M. A meta-analysis of clinical trials comparing the serotonin (5HT)-2 receptor antagonists trazodone and nefazodone with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for the treatment of major depressive disorder. Eur Psychiatry. 2007;22:444-7 pubmed
- Papakostas G. Tolerability of modern antidepressants. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69 Suppl E1:8-13 pubmed
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Sonawalla S, Merens W, Iosifescu D, Alpert J, et al. Serum cholesterol in treatment-resistant depression. Neuropsychobiology. 2003;47:146-51 pubmed..The results of this study confirm the relationship between hypercholesterolemia and poor outcome in the treatment of MDD for patients with TRD. ..
- Papakostas G, Nutt D, Hallett L, Tucker V, Krishen A, Fava M. Resolution of sleepiness and fatigue in major depressive disorder: A comparison of bupropion and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Biol Psychiatry. 2006;60:1350-5 pubmed..Although preliminary, these results warrant prospectively designed studies examining potential differences between bupropion and the SSRIs on these specific depressive symptoms. ..
- Papakostas G, Petersen T, Burns A, Fava M. Adjunctive atomoxetine for residual fatigue in major depressive disorder. J Psychiatr Res. 2006;40:370-3 pubmed..Prospective as well as controlled studies are necessary to further explore the role of atomoxetine augmentation in MDD. ..
- Papakostas G, Nielsen R, Dragheim M, Tonnoir B. Efficacy and tolerability of vortioxetine versus agomelatine, categorized by previous treatment, in patients with major depressive disorder switched after an inadequate response. J Psychiatr Res. 2018;101:72-79 pubmed publisher..This study has the ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT01488071. ..
- Papakostas G, Mischoulon D, Shyu I, Alpert J, Fava M. S-adenosyl methionine (SAMe) augmentation of serotonin reuptake inhibitors for antidepressant nonresponders with major depressive disorder: a double-blind, randomized clinical trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167:942-8 pubmed publisher..1% versus 11.7%, respectively). These preliminary results suggest that SAMe can be an effective, well-tolerated, and safe adjunctive treatment strategy for SRI nonresponders with major depressive disorder and warrant replication. ..
- Papakostas G. Identifying patients with depression who require a change in treatment and implementing that change. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016;77 Suppl 1:16-21 pubmed publisher..Timely and appropriate treatment adjustment is necessary to help patients with MDD achieve recovery. ..
- Papakostas G, Martinson M, Fava M, Iovieno N. Demographic variables, design characteristics, and effect sizes of randomized, placebo-controlled, monotherapy trials of major depressive disorder and bipolar depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016;77:e619-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the present study suggests no clinically significant differences in the overall short-term efficacy of pharmacologic monotherapies for MDD and bipolar depression. ..
- Papakostas G, Cassiello C, Iovieno N. Folates and S-adenosylmethionine for major depressive disorder. Can J Psychiatry. 2012;57:406-13 pubmed..Although further randomized controlled trials in this area appear warranted, SAMe and L-methylfolate may represent a useful addition to the AD armamentarium. ..
- Papakostas G, Fava M. A metaanalysis of clinical trials comparing moclobemide with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for the treatment of major depressive disorder. Can J Psychiatry. 2006;51:783-90 pubmed