Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Facing death in the fly: genetic analysis of apoptosis in DrosophilaK McCall
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cambridge, MA, USA
Trends Genet 13:222-6. 1997....
- Induction of apoptosis by Drosophila reaper, hid and grim through inhibition of IAP functionL Goyal
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Departments of Biology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
EMBO J 19:589-97. 2000..These data provide strong in vivo evidence for a previously published model of cell death regulation in Drosophila...
- The Drosophila gene hid is a direct molecular target of Ras-dependent survival signalingA Bergmann
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Cell 95:331-41. 1998..These findings define a novel mechanism by which growth factor signaling directly inactivates a critical component of the intrinsic cell death machinery. These studies provide further insights into the function of ras as an oncogene...
- DCP-1, a Drosophila cell death protease essential for developmentZ Song
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 275:536-40. 1997..Loss of zygotic DCP-1 function in Drosophila caused larval lethality and melanotic tumors, showing that this gene is essential for normal development...
- Requirement for DCP-1 caspase during Drosophila oogenesisK McCall
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biology, 31 Ames Street, 68 430, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 279:230-4. 1998..The dcp-1- phenotype suggests that the cytoskeletal and nuclear events in the nurse cells make use of the machinery normally associated with apoptosis and that apoptosis of the nurse cells is a necessary event for oocyte development...
- Stage-specific regulation of caspase activity in drosophila oogenesisJ S Peterson
Department of Biology, Boston University, 5 Cummington Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Dev Biol 260:113-23. 2003..This limited caspase activation in dying nurse cells may prevent destruction of the nurse cell cytoskeleton and the connected oocyte...
- The Drosophila caspases Strica and Dronc function redundantly in programmed cell death during oogenesisJ S Baum
Department of Biology, Graduate Program, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell Death Differ 14:1508-17. 2007..This reveals a novel pathway of cell death in the ovary that utilizes strica, dronc, dcp-1 and drice, and importantly illustrates strong redundancy among the caspases...
- Probes of chromatin accessibility in the Drosophila bithorax complex respond differently to Polycomb-mediated repressionK McCall
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
EMBO J 15:569-80. 1996..In contrast, T7 RNA polymerase can transcribe from its target promoter in all segments of the embryo. Thus, Pc-mediated repression blocks activated polymerase II transcription, but does not simply exclude all proteins...
- Enhancer traps in the Drosophila bithorax complex mark parasegmental domainsK McCall
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Genetics 138:387-99. 1994..Thus, the enhancer traps reveal parasegmental domains that are maintained by Polycomb-mediated repression. Such domains may be realized by parasegmental differences in chromatin structure...
- Searching for pattern and mutation in the Drosophila genome with a P-lacZ vectorE Bier
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, San Francisco, California
Genes Dev 3:1273-87. 1989..This type of screen appears to be an effective way to find new loci that may play a role in the development of the Drosophila nervous system...
- Programmed cell death in the germlineJ S Baum
Department of Biology, Boston University, 5 Cummington St, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Semin Cell Dev Biol 16:245-59. 2005..This review focuses on the cell death events that occur during gametogenesis in both vertebrates and invertebrates. It also examines the signals and machinery that initiate and carry out these germ cell deaths...
- Generating lineage-specific markers to study Drosophila developmentN Perrimon
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
Dev Genet 12:238-52. 1991..Insertion strains generated with P-elements that carry various sequences upstream of the lacZ gene exhibit an increased variety of expression patterns that can be used to study Drosophila development...