Beth A Lown
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Commentary: Lost in translation? How electronic health records structure communication, relationships, and meaningBeth A Lown
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Acad Med 87:392-4. 2012....
- Strategies for creating a faculty fellowship in medical education: report of a 10-year experienceCharles J Hatem
The Academy Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Acad Med 84:1098-103. 2009....
- Developing a peer assessment of lecturing instrument: lessons learnedLori R Newman
Shapiro Institute for Education and Research, Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Acad Med 84:1104-10. 2009....
- Patients as partners in radiology education: an innovative approach to teaching and assessing patient-centered communicationBeth A Lown
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, 300 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Acad Radiol 15:425-32. 2008..We focused on communication in the diagnostic mammography suite, where patient-radiologist interactions are often intense and stressful...
- Continuing professional development for interprofessional teams supporting patients in healthcare decision makingBeth A Lown
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Interprof Care 25:401-8. 2011..Educational leaders and researchers can institutionalize such curricula by linking them with quality improvement and patient safety initiatives...
- Women's and residents' experiences of communication in the diagnostic mammography suiteBeth A Lown
Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, Department of Medicine, 300 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Patient Educ Couns 77:328-37. 2009..To gain understanding of radiology residents' and women's experiences, concerns, information needs, coping strategies and perspectives about optimal communication during diagnostic mammography...
- Mutual influence in shared decision making: a collaborative study of patients and physiciansBeth A Lown
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Health Expect 12:160-74. 2009..Little attention has been paid to patients' behaviors that facilitate shared decision making or to the influence of patients and physicians on each other during this process...
- Communication in the diagnostic mammography suite: implications for practice and trainingJ Pierre Sasson
Department of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, 300 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Acad Radiol 15:417-24. 2008..We surveyed radiology residents and staff about communication training, practices, and experiences communicating directly with patients in the diagnostic mammography suite...
- The Schwartz Center Rounds: evaluation of an interdisciplinary approach to enhancing patient-centered communication, teamwork, and provider supportBeth A Lown
Department of Medicine, Mount Auburn Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Acad Med 85:1073-81. 2010..The authors investigated changes in attendees' self-reported behaviors and beliefs about patient care, sense of teamwork, stress, and personal support...
- Caring attitudes in medical education: perceptions of deans and curriculum leadersBeth A Lown
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:1514-22. 2007..Systems of undergraduate medical education and patient care can create barriers to fostering caring attitudes...
- The academic health center coming of age: helping faculty become better teachers and agents of educational changeCharles J Hatem
The Academy Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Acad Med 81:941-4. 2006..Lastly, future directions for these fellowships are presented...
- An agenda for improving compassionate care: a survey shows about half of patients say such care is missingBeth A Lown
Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:1772-8. 2011..We also recommend the development of systematic approaches to help health care professionals improve the skills required for compassionate care...
- A model for communication skills assessment across the undergraduate curriculumElizabeth A Rider
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Med Teach 28:e127-34. 2006..By presenting an approach for implementation, the authors hope to provide guidance for the successful integration of communication skills assessment in undergraduate medical education...