Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Post-marketing experience with an opioid nasal spray for migraine: lessons for the futureE Loder
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Cephalalgia 26:89-97. 2006..The implications of these lessons for future drug development and post-marketing surveillance in the migraine field are considered...
- The approach to the difficult patientElizabeth Loder
Division of Headache and Pain, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Faulkner Hospitals, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 97:233-8. 2010....
- The 2012 AHS/AAN guidelines for prevention of episodic migraine: a summary and comparison with other recent clinical practice guidelinesElizabeth Loder
Graham Headache Center and the Department of Neurology, Division of Headache and Pain, Brigham and Women s and Faulkner Hospitals, Boston, MA, USA
Headache 52:930-45. 2012..We review the characteristics, methods, consistency, and quality of the AHS/AAN guidelines in comparison with recently issued guidelines from other specialty societies...
- The impact of migraine prevention on daily activities: a longitudinal and responder analysis from three topiramate placebo-controlled clinical trialsCarl Dahlof
Gothenburg Migraine Clinic, c o Läkarhuset, Södra vägen 27, S 41135 Gothenburg, Sweden
Health Qual Life Outcomes 5:56. 2007..001). The MSQ measures how much migraine limits/interrupts daily performance. Pooled analyses of pivotal trial data were conducted to further assess how topiramate 100 mg/d affects daily activities and patient functioning...
- Menstrual migraine: clinical considerations in light of revised diagnostic criteriaE Loder
Faculty of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 125 Nashua Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neurol Sci 26:s121-4. 2005..This paper reviews evidence for specific acute and pre-emptive treatment strategies, including the use of hormonal supplementation, scheduled triptans and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs...
- Headache attributed to psychiatric disorder: a case seriesElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Psychosomatics 46:326-33. 2005..The revised headache classification system appropriately recognizes headaches attributed to psychiatric disorder as a form of secondary headache...
- Part II: clinical efficacy and tolerability of zolmitriptan orally disintegrating tablet in the acute treatment of migraineElizabeth W Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 21:S8-12. 2005..Adverse events observed with zolmitriptan ODT were similar to those associated with the serotonin1B/1D agonists as a class, and were generally transient and of mild or moderate intensity...
- Cluster headache and the heartElizabeth Loder
Headache Management Program, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, 125 Nashua Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 10:142-6. 2006..In addition, a number of important treatment options for cluster headache have effects on cardiovascular function that must be considered in planning therapy. The implications of these findings for clinical practice are discussed...
- Cluster headache treatment dilemmas: the experts respondElizabeth Loder
1153 Centre Street, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 11:141-7. 2007....
- Migraine in pregnancyElizabeth Loder
Division of Headache and Pain, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Faulkner Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
Semin Neurol 27:425-33. 2007..Women with migraine have an increased risk for several serious pregnancy complications, but there is little convincing evidence of an increase in neonatal complications. Migraine is not a contraindication to breast-feeding...
- Tension-type headacheElizabeth Loder
Division of Headache and Pain, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Faulkner Hospitals, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
BMJ 336:88-92. 2008
- Tolerance and loss of beneficial effect during migraine prophylaxis: clinical considerationsElizabeth W Loder
John R Graham Headache Center and Division of Headache and Pain, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Faulkner Hospitals, Boston, MA, USA
Headache 51:1336-45. 2011..Selected behavioral and environmental treatment techniques might also be useful. We describe a practical, structured approach to evaluation and management of relapse with migraine prophylaxis...
- Conclusion: how primary care physicians can help their patients with migraineElizabeth W Loder
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Med 118:45S-46S. 2005
- Migraine diagnosis and treatmentElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Prim Care 31:277-92, vi. 2004..Guidelines are available that summarize the quality of evidence for individual interventions, but treatment must be individualized...
- Use of botulinum toxins for chronic headaches: a focused reviewElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School, Headache and Pain Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin J Pain 18:S169-76. 2002..Current data suggest that botulinum toxin is safe and does not produce systemic effects associated with other types of headache treatments...
- Placebo effects in oral triptan trials: the scientific and ethical rationale for continued use of placebo controlsE Loder
Pain and Headache Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Cephalalgia 25:124-31. 2005..These observations support the view that the inclusion of a placebo group remains of major scientific and ethical importance in trials of migraine medications...
- Prophylaxis of menstrual migraine with triptans: problems and possibilitiesElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School and Pain and Headache Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Neurology 59:1677-81. 2002..Triptans would have to show compelling advantages over other therapy to be a plausible prophylactic treatment for menstrual migraine...
- Stiff-person syndrome presenting with headacheE Loder
Headache and Pain Management Programs, The Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cephalalgia 25:237-9. 2005
- Cluster headache from the patient's point of viewElizabeth Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, 125 Nashua Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 9:120-5. 2005..The patient responses provide important information for physicians and others who seek a more complete understanding of cluster headache...
- Safety of sumatriptan in pregnancy: a review of the data so farElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
CNS Drugs 17:1-7. 2003..However, current information is not sufficient to rule out small increases in the risk for birth defects. For this reason, caution should be exercised in making a positive recommendation for the use of sumatriptan during pregnancy...
- Pain-free rates with zolmitriptan 2.5 mg ODT in the acute treatment of migraine: results of a large double-blind placebo- controlled trialElizabeth Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 21:381-9. 2005..Zolmitriptan 2.5 mg orally disintegrating tablets (ODT) allow patients to take the medication without fluids, which is convenient and avoids the risk of fluid-induced exacerbation of nausea/vomiting...
- What is the evolutionary advantage of migraine?E Loder
Headache and Pain Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cephalalgia 22:624-32. 2002..migraine as a design constraint. An evolutionary perspective on migraine allows the generation of important hypotheses about the disorder and suggests rewarding possibilities for further research...
- Preference comparison of rizatriptan ODT 10-mg and sumatriptan 50-mg tablet in migraineE Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Headache 41:745-53. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: A significantly greater proportion of patients preferred rizatriptan ODT 10-mg to sumatriptan 50-mg tablet for the acute treatment of migraine. Efficacy and safety data are consistent with the preference findings...
- Postpartum headacheA M Klein
Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 19:422-30. 2010..A structured approach to headache evaluation in the postpartum patient will be presented to help differentiate the possible causes of headache...
- Migraine: primary care challenges in diagnosis and treatment. IntroductionRichard B Lipton
Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Am J Med 118:1S-2S. 2005
- Off-label prescribing of drugs in specialty headache practiceElizabeth W Loder
Harvard Medical School, Headache Management Program, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Headache 44:636-41. 2004..To assess the extent of off-label prescribing in specialty headache practice...
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled comparison of botulinum toxin type a injection sites and doses in the prevention of episodic migraineJoel R Saper
Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Pain Med 8:478-85. 2007..However, the optimal treatment paradigm and patient population have yet to be defined...
- Evaluating the triptansNinan T Mathew
Houston Headache Clinic, and Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas 77004, USA
Am J Med 118:28S-35S. 2005..Data from published comparator trials, based on commonly used efficacy end points and pharmacokinetic properties underlying patient-preferred outcomes, are reviewed in this article...
- Migraine with aura during pregnancyRandolph W Evans
1200 Binz 1370, Houston, TX 77004, USA
Headache 43:80-4. 2003
- Headache as a side effect of combination estrogen-progestin oral contraceptives: a systematic reviewElizabeth W Loder
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 193:636-49. 2005..We conducted a 2-part systematic review of published studies to examine the evidence that combination oral contraceptives can aggravate or cause headache...
- The quality of headache treatment in the United States: review and analysis of recent dataElizabeth W Loder
The Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Headache Program, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Headache 45:939-46. 2005..Professional headache societies need to devote considerable resources to address the problem of widespread and important deficiencies in simple, fundamental care processes for headache...
- Headache and combination estrogen-progestin oral contraceptives: integrating evidence, guidelines, and clinical practiceElizabeth W Loder
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Headache and Pain Program, Boston, MA, USA
Headache 45:224-31. 2005..The authors' recommendations regarding OC use in various primary headache disorders are summarized...
- Menstrual migraine: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and impactElizabeth W Loder
Harvard Medical School, Graham Headache Centre, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Headache 46:S55-60. 2006..Moreover, compared with headaches that occur during other times in the cycle, menstrual migraines are more severe in most women and may be of longer duration, as well as more resistant to treatment in a subset of women...