Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Beyond capacity: identifying ethical dilemmas underlying capacity evaluation requestsNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 54:103-10. 2013..Psychiatric consultations involving the evaluation of patients' medical decision-making capacity often seem to have little to do with truly compromised patient autonomy...
- Perspective: biomedicine--menace or straw man? Reexamining the biopsychosocial argumentNicholas Kontos
Harvard Medical School, and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Acad Med 86:509-15. 2011..The biopsychosocial model would be best served by shedding the biomedical straw man and modifying its ambitions...
- Ownership, responsibility and hospital care: lessons for the consultation psychiatristNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:257-62. 2008..To identify scenarios in which consultation psychiatrists encounter difficulty reconciling their clinical role with consultees' expectations and to suggest concepts that help navigate these situations...
- Psychiatric polypharmacy: a clinical approach based on etiology and differential diagnosisOliver Freudenreich
Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 20:79-85. 2012..Psychiatrists can ask themselves a Kantian question: would my way of prescribing lead to good, socially acceptable outcomes if followed by all physicians treating similar patients?..
- The muddles of medicine: a practical, clinical addendum to the biopsychosocial modelOliver Freudenreich
MGH Division of Psychiatry and Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Psychosomatics 51:365-9. 2010..The commonly-accepted "biopsychosocial model" does not always lend itself to the kind of pragmatic decisions that many clinical situations demand of physicians...
- The consultation psychiatrist as effective physicianNicholas Kontos
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Allilance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:20-3. 2003..These principles emphasize the medical model, the status of the psychiatrist as a medical expert, and the importance of defining one's professional limits...
- An approach to the patient with dysregulated mood: major depression and bipolar disorderJohn Querques
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Med Clin North Am 94:1117-26, x. 2010..In this article, the authors discuss a general approach for general internists, family practitioners, and other primary care providers to follow in caring for patients with suspected MDD or bipolar disorder...
- An approach to symptoms at the interface of medicine and psychiatry: pain, insomnia, weight loss and anorexia, fatigue and forgetfulness, and sexual dysfunctionOliver Freudenreich
Harvard Medical School, 25 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Med Clin North Am 94:1217-27, xi. 2010..The management of a patient in whom no satisfactory medical or psychiatric diagnosis can be made is also reviewed briefly...