Kerwyn Casey Huang
Affiliation: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dynamic structures in Escherichia coli: spontaneous formation of MinE rings and MinD polar zonesKerwyn Casey Huang
Department of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 12 111, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12724-8. 2003..Recent discoveries suggest that protein oscillations may play a general role in proper chromosome and plasmid partitioning...
- Mechanics of membrane bulging during cell-wall disruption in gram-negative bacteriaKristopher E Daly
Department of Physics, Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts 01610, USA
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 83:041922. 2011..We also discuss the general implications of our model to membrane deformations in eukaryotic blebbing and vesiculation in red blood cells...
- Lipid localization in bacterial cells through curvature-mediated microphase separationRanjan Mukhopadhyay
Department of Physics, Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Biophys J 95:1034-49. 2008..This observation is consistent with recent experiments showing that in Escherichia coli cells with reduced cardiolipin concentrations, cardiolipin and the osmoregulatory protein ProP fail to localize to the poles...
- Pattern formation within Escherichia coli: diffusion, membrane attachment, and self-interaction of MinD moleculesRahul V Kulkarni
NEC Laboratories America, Inc, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, USA
Phys Rev Lett 93:228103. 2004..We derive analytically the probability density, and correspondingly the length scale, for MinD attachment zones. Our simple analytical model illustrates the processes giving rise to the observed localization of cellular MinD zones...
- The Min system as a general cell geometry detection mechanism: branch lengths in Y-shaped Escherichia coli cells affect Min oscillation patterns and division dynamicsArchana Varma
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
J Bacteriol 190:2106-17. 2008..The results provide further evidence that Min protein oscillations act as a general cell geometry detection mechanism that can locate poles even in branched cells...
- A curvature-mediated mechanism for localization of lipids to bacterial polesKerwyn Casey Huang
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 2:e151. 2006..More generally, aggregates of lipids, proteins, or lipid-protein complexes may localize in response to features of cell geometry incapable of localizing individual molecules...
- Cooperative gating and spatial organization of membrane proteins through elastic interactionsTristan Ursell
Department of Applied Physics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 3:e81. 2007..This has important implications for how conformational changes organize membrane proteins into functional groups within membranes...