April F Eichler
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Multidisciplinary management of brain metastasesApril F Eichler
Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Oncologist 12:884-98. 2007....
- Survival in patients with brain metastases from breast cancer: the importance of HER-2 statusApril F Eichler
Department of Neurology, Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cancer 112:2359-67. 2008..To the authors' knowledge, established prognostic factors for survival after the diagnosis of BM in breast cancer patients do not take into account HER-2 status, which may have increasing relevance in the trastuzumab therapy era...
- Utility of administrative claims data for the study of brain metastases: a validation studyApril F Eichler
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey 9E, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Neurooncol 95:427-31. 2009..These results suggest that Medicare claims data may be used to evaluate clinical and epidemiological issues related to brain metastases in elderly cancer patients...
- EGFR mutation status and survival after diagnosis of brain metastasis in nonsmall cell lung cancerApril F Eichler
Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Yawkey 9E, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuro Oncol 12:1193-9. 2010..70-6.41) were independently associated with survival. In NSCLC patients with BM, EGFR mutation status is associated with improved survival, independent of age, functional status, extracranial disease status, and number of BMs...
- Phase I trial with biomarker studies of vatalanib (PTK787) in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma treated with enzyme inducing anti-epileptic drugs and standard radiation and temozolomideElizabeth R Gerstner
Stephen E and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Yawkey 9E, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Neurooncol 103:325-32. 2011..Vatalanib was well tolerated and this study demonstrates the safety of oral small molecule inhibitors in newly diagnosed GBM patients. Blood biomarkers may be useful as pharmacodynamic markers of response to anti-angiogenic therapies...
- Randomized controlled trial of a video decision support tool for cardiopulmonary resuscitation decision making in advanced cancerAngelo E Volandes
Massachusetts General Hospital, General Medicine Unit, 50 Staniford St, 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:380-6. 2013..Decision making regarding cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is challenging. This study examined the effect of a video decision support tool on CPR preferences among patients with advanced cancer...
- Phase II study of cediranib, an oral pan-vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with recurrent glioblastomaTracy T Batchelor
Stephen E and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Yawkey 9E, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:2817-23. 2010..Glioblastoma is an incurable solid tumor characterized by increased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). We performed a phase II study of cediranib in patients with recurrent glioblastoma...
- Combined targeting of HER2 and VEGFR2 for effective treatment of HER2-amplified breast cancer brain metastasesDavid P Kodack
Edwin L Steele Laboratory for Tumor Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E3119-27. 2012..These findings support the clinical development of this three-drug regimen for the treatment of HER2-amplified breast cancer brain metastases...
- The biology of brain metastases-translation to new therapiesApril F Eichler
Stephen E and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 8:344-56. 2011..This Review discusses what is known about the biology of brain metastases, what preclinical models are available to study the disease, and which novel therapeutic strategies are being studied in patients...
- Diffusion and perfusion imaging in subacute neurotoxicity following high-dose intravenous methotrexateApril F Eichler
Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuro Oncol 9:373-7. 2007..The absence of vascular or perfusion abnormalities suggests that transient cytotoxic edema in white matter may explain the syndrome of subacute MTX neurotoxicity...
- Polysomy for chromosomes 1 and 19 predicts earlier recurrence in anaplastic oligodendrogliomas with concurrent 1p/19q lossMatija Snuderl
Pathology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114 2698, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:6430-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prognostic significance of polysomy of chromosomes 1 and 19 in the setting of 1p/19q codeletion...
- Brain metastasesApril F Eichler
Scott R Plotkin, MD, PhD Department of Neurology, Stephen E and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Yawkey 9E, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Treat Options Neurol 10:308-14. 2008....
- Use of video to facilitate end-of-life discussions with patients with cancer: a randomized controlled trialAreej El-Jawahri
Departments of Medicine, Neurology and Cancer Center, and Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Staniford St, 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:305-10. 2010..To determine whether the use of a goals-of-care video to supplement a verbal description can improve end-of-life decision making for patients with cancer...