Ernst R Berndt
Affiliation: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Authorized generic drugs, price competition, and consumers' welfareErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:790-9. 2007..We posit that long-run prices and shares are likely essentially unaffected by authorized generics and that potential costs to consumers from any delayed generic entry are likely small...
- The impact of incremental innovation in biopharmaceuticals: drug utilisation in original and supplemental indicationsErnst R Berndt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology and National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 24:69-86. 2006..The apparent decrease in the rate of approval of new molecular entities has provoked extensive discussion and fears that the productivity of biopharmaceutical research and development has severely declined in recent years...
- Industry funding of the FDA: effects of PDUFA on approval times and withdrawal ratesErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 50 Memorial Drive, E52 452, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 4:545-54. 2005....
- Advance market commitments for vaccines against neglected diseases: estimating costs and effectivenessErnst R Berndt
MIT Sloan School of Management, USA
Health Econ 16:491-511. 2007..Readers can conduct their own sensitivity analyses employing a web-based spreadsheet tool...
- Stratified medicine: strategic and economic implications of combining drugs and clinical biomarkersMark R Trusheim
MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 4307, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 6:287-93. 2007....
- Pharmaceuticals in U.S. health care: determinants of quantity and priceErnst R Berndt
MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Econ Perspect 16:45-66. 2002
- Uncertain prognosis for high-quality diagnostics: clinical challenges, economic barriers and needed reformsMark R Trusheim
MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Pharmacogenomics 14:325-34. 2013....
- To inform or persuade? Direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugsErnst R Berndt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
N Engl J Med 352:325-8. 2005
- Changes in the costs of treating mental health disorders: an overview of recent research findingsErnst R Berndt
Alfred P Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 22:37-50. 2004..However, a substantial portion of treatment is not supported by clinical evidence...
- Vaccine advance-purchase agreements for low-income countries: practical issuesErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 24:653-65. 2005..We identify several practical issues that we believe the public health and policy community should consider further in the design of an advance-purchase commitment...
- An analysis of the diffusion of new antidepressants: variety, quality, and marketing effortsErnst R Berndt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 5:3-19. 2002..The overall level and market share success of the various selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors ( SSRIs ) relative to a representative older generation tricyclic (such as amitriptyline) provides a useful focus for studying such issues...
- The value of antihypertensive drugs: a perspective on medical innovationDavid M Cutler
Department of Economics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:97-110. 2007..More effective use of antihypertensive medication would have an impact on mortality akin to eliminating all deaths from medical errors or accidents...
- The impact of treatment-resistant depression on health care utilization and costsWilliam H Crown
MEDSTAT Group, Cambridge, Mass, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:963-71. 2002..Very little is known about the health care costs of patients with treatment-resistant depression...
- Promotion of prescription drugs to consumersMeredith B Rosenthal
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 346:498-505. 2002..Guidelines issued in 1997 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding advertising to consumers through electronic media are considered by some to be responsible for unleashing a flood of direct-to-consumer advertising...
- Effects of pharmaceutical promotion on adherence to the treatment guidelines for depressionJulie M Donohue
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Med Care 42:1176-85. 2004....
- Generic entry, reformulations and promotion of SSRIs in the USHaiden A Huskamp
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 26:603-16. 2008..However, little is known about how newer strategies to extend patent life, including product reformulation introduction or obtaining approval to market for additional clinical indications, influence promotion...
- Treatment costs of venlafaxine and selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors for depression and anxietyGeorge J Wan
Wyeth Research, Philadelphia, USA
Manag Care Interface 15:24-30. 2002..472, respectively; P = .02), but total health care expenditures were not significantly different...
- The medical treatment of depression, 1991-1996: productive inefficiency, expected outcome variations, and price indexesErnst R Berndt
MIT and NBER, Boston, MA 02127, USA
J Health Econ 21:373-96. 2002..Based on hedonic regression equations that account for the effects of changing patient mix, we find reductions that range from about -1.66 to -2.13% per year...
- Depression treatment: a lifelong commitment?Martin B Keller
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 36:133-41. 2002..Additional well-designed studies addressing these issues are urgently needed...
- Being directJulie M Donohue
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, USA
Mark Health Serv 25:30-6. 2005
- Prescriber intent, off-label usage, and early discontinuation of antidepressants: a retrospective physician survey and data analysisJay M Pomerantz
Health New England, Springfield, MA, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:395-404. 2004..We explore various possibilities, including prescriber intent and patient diagnosis, to explain some of this early discontinuation...
- Benefit plan design and prescription drug utilization among asthmatics: do patient copayments matter?William H Crown
Front Health Policy Res 7:95-127. 2004..There is no strong statistical evidence that higher levels of out-of-pocket copayments for prescription drugs influence asthma treatment patterns. However, physician/practice prescribing preferences influence patient treatment...