Ernst R Berndt
Affiliation: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Authorized generic drugs, price competition, and consumers' welfareErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:790-9. 2007..We posit that long-run prices and shares are likely essentially unaffected by authorized generics and that potential costs to consumers from any delayed generic entry are likely small...
- Industry funding of the FDA: effects of PDUFA on approval times and withdrawal ratesErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 50 Memorial Drive, E52 452, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 4:545-54. 2005....
- Advance market commitments for vaccines against neglected diseases: estimating costs and effectivenessErnst R Berndt
MIT Sloan School of Management, USA
Health Econ 16:491-511. 2007..Readers can conduct their own sensitivity analyses employing a web-based spreadsheet tool...
- Stratified medicine: strategic and economic implications of combining drugs and clinical biomarkersMark R Trusheim
MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 4307, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 6:287-93. 2007....
- Pharmaceuticals in U.S. health care: determinants of quantity and priceErnst R Berndt
MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Econ Perspect 16:45-66. 2002
- Uncertain prognosis for high-quality diagnostics: clinical challenges, economic barriers and needed reformsMark R Trusheim
MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Pharmacogenomics 14:325-34. 2013....
- To inform or persuade? Direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugsErnst R Berndt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
N Engl J Med 352:325-8. 2005
- Changes in the costs of treating mental health disorders: an overview of recent research findingsErnst R Berndt
Alfred P Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 22:37-50. 2004..However, a substantial portion of treatment is not supported by clinical evidence...
- An analysis of the diffusion of new antidepressants: variety, quality, and marketing effortsErnst R Berndt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 5:3-19. 2002..The overall level and market share success of the various selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors ( SSRIs ) relative to a representative older generation tricyclic (such as amitriptyline) provides a useful focus for studying such issues...
- The value of antihypertensive drugs: a perspective on medical innovationDavid M Cutler
Department of Economics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:97-110. 2007..More effective use of antihypertensive medication would have an impact on mortality akin to eliminating all deaths from medical errors or accidents...
- Vaccine advance-purchase agreements for low-income countries: practical issuesErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 24:653-65. 2005..We identify several practical issues that we believe the public health and policy community should consider further in the design of an advance-purchase commitment...
- The impact of treatment-resistant depression on health care utilization and costsWilliam H Crown
MEDSTAT Group, Cambridge, Mass, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 63:963-71. 2002..Very little is known about the health care costs of patients with treatment-resistant depression...
- Effects of pharmaceutical promotion on adherence to the treatment guidelines for depressionJulie M Donohue
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Med Care 42:1176-85. 2004....
- Generic entry, reformulations and promotion of SSRIs in the USHaiden A Huskamp
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 26:603-16. 2008..However, little is known about how newer strategies to extend patent life, including product reformulation introduction or obtaining approval to market for additional clinical indications, influence promotion...
- Treatment costs of venlafaxine and selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors for depression and anxietyGeorge J Wan
Wyeth Research, Philadelphia, USA
Manag Care Interface 15:24-30. 2002..472, respectively; P = .02), but total health care expenditures were not significantly different...
- Promotion of prescription drugs to consumersMeredith B Rosenthal
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 346:498-505. 2002..Guidelines issued in 1997 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding advertising to consumers through electronic media are considered by some to be responsible for unleashing a flood of direct-to-consumer advertising...
- Being directJulie M Donohue
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, USA
Mark Health Serv 25:30-6. 2005
- Prescriber intent, off-label usage, and early discontinuation of antidepressants: a retrospective physician survey and data analysisJay M Pomerantz
Health New England, Springfield, MA, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:395-404. 2004..We explore various possibilities, including prescriber intent and patient diagnosis, to explain some of this early discontinuation...
- The medical treatment of depression, 1991-1996: productive inefficiency, expected outcome variations, and price indexesErnst R Berndt
MIT and NBER, Boston, MA 02127, USA
J Health Econ 21:373-96. 2002..Based on hedonic regression equations that account for the effects of changing patient mix, we find reductions that range from about -1.66 to -2.13% per year...
- Benefit plan design and prescription drug utilization among asthmatics: do patient copayments matter?William H Crown
Front Health Policy Res 7:95-127. 2004..There is no strong statistical evidence that higher levels of out-of-pocket copayments for prescription drugs influence asthma treatment patterns. However, physician/practice prescribing preferences influence patient treatment...
- Depression treatment: a lifelong commitment?Martin B Keller
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 36:133-41. 2002..Additional well-designed studies addressing these issues are urgently needed...