ARTHUR JOSEPH BARSKY
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Cognitive behavior therapy for hypochondriasis: a randomized controlled trialArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 291:1464-70. 2004..Hypochondriasis is a chronic, distressing, and disabling condition that is prevalent in ambulatory medical practice. Until recently, no specific treatment has been clearly demonstrated to be effective...
- Distinctive patterns of medical care utilization in patients who somatizeArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Med Care 44:803-11. 2006..If there were a way of routinely identifying such patients, one that did not require intensive, case-by-case review, they could be targeted for specific interventions to improve their use of medical care...
- Somatization increases medical utilization and costs independent of psychiatric and medical comorbidityArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry and Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:903-10. 2005..Adjusting the findings for the presence of psychiatric and medical comorbidity had relatively little effect on this association...
- Mapping the road from childhood trauma to adult somatization: the role of attachmentRobert J Waldinger
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospitaland Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Psychosom Med 68:129-35. 2006..This study tested whether insecure attachment mediates the link between childhood trauma and adult somatization...
- Foreign-body ingestion in patients with personality disordersDavid F Gitlin
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Psychosomatics 48:162-6. 2007
- A personality characteristic, somatic absorption, and the perception of somatic symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis patientsIlana M Braun
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Rheumatol 35:782-9. 2008..This study tested the hypothesis that a personality trait, somatic absorption, is correlated with symptom severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Relationship between somatosensory amplification and alexithymia in a Japanese psychosomatic clinicMutsuhiro Nakao
Center for Evidence Based Medicine, Department of Hygiene and Public Health, School of Medicine, Teikyo University, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
Psychosomatics 43:55-60. 2002..Somatosensory amplification appears to be associated with difficulties identifying and describing feelings, not externally oriented thinking, in Japanese patients...
- Psychobiological perspectives on somatoform disordersWinfried Rief
Brigham and Women s Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:996-1002. 2005....
- Does somatosensory amplification decrease with antidepressant treatment?Kemal Sayar
Bakirkoy Mental Health Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Psychosomatics 46:340-4. 2005..Whether somatosensory amplification is a measure of depression per se should be tested in a more definitive and larger future study...
- Relaxation Response,Somatic Style & Rheumatoid ArthritisArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additional group analyses will be conducted to determine the influence of cognitive and attitudinal variables on outcome. ..
- Hypochondriasis:Diagnosis, Description and Medical CareArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..An intent-to-treat analytic design will be used to compare the two groups on the outcomes of interest at 6- and 12-month follow-up, after controlling for any group differences at baseline. ..
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..
- HYPOCHONDRIASIS--DIAGNOSIS, DESCRIPTION AND MEDICAL CAREArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIARTHUR JOSEPH BARSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..