ARTHUR JOSEPH BARSKY
Affiliation: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Cognitive behavior therapy for hypochondriasis: a randomized controlled trialArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 291:1464-70. 2004..Hypochondriasis is a chronic, distressing, and disabling condition that is prevalent in ambulatory medical practice. Until recently, no specific treatment has been clearly demonstrated to be effective...
- Distinctive patterns of medical care utilization in patients who somatizeArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Med Care 44:803-11. 2006..If there were a way of routinely identifying such patients, one that did not require intensive, case-by-case review, they could be targeted for specific interventions to improve their use of medical care...
- Somatization increases medical utilization and costs independent of psychiatric and medical comorbidityArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry and Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:903-10. 2005..Somatoform disorders are an important determinant of medical care utilization, but their independent effect on utilization is difficult to determine because somatizing patients frequently have psychiatric and medical comorbidity...
- Mapping the road from childhood trauma to adult somatization: the role of attachmentRobert J Waldinger
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospitaland Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Psychosom Med 68:129-35. 2006..This study tested whether insecure attachment mediates the link between childhood trauma and adult somatization...
- Foreign-body ingestion in patients with personality disordersDavid F Gitlin
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Psychosomatics 48:162-6. 2007
- A personality characteristic, somatic absorption, and the perception of somatic symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis patientsIlana M Braun
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Rheumatol 35:782-9. 2008..This study tested the hypothesis that a personality trait, somatic absorption, is correlated with symptom severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Relationship between somatosensory amplification and alexithymia in a Japanese psychosomatic clinicMutsuhiro Nakao
Center for Evidence Based Medicine, Department of Hygiene and Public Health, School of Medicine, Teikyo University, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
Psychosomatics 43:55-60. 2002..Somatosensory amplification appears to be associated with difficulties identifying and describing feelings, not externally oriented thinking, in Japanese patients...
- Psychobiological perspectives on somatoform disordersWinfried Rief
Brigham and Women s Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:996-1002. 2005....
- Does somatosensory amplification decrease with antidepressant treatment?Kemal Sayar
Bakirkoy Mental Health Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Psychosomatics 46:340-4. 2005..Whether somatosensory amplification is a measure of depression per se should be tested in a more definitive and larger future study...
- Relaxation Response,Somatic Style & Rheumatoid ArthritisArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additional group analyses will be conducted to determine the influence of cognitive and attitudinal variables on outcome. ..
- Hypochondriasis:Diagnosis, Description and Medical CareArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..An intent-to-treat analytic design will be used to compare the two groups on the outcomes of interest at 6- and 12-month follow-up, after controlling for any group differences at baseline. ..
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..
- HYPOCHONDRIASIS--DIAGNOSIS, DESCRIPTION AND MEDICAL CAREArthur Barsky; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Treatment of Hypochondriasis with CBT and/or SSRIARTHUR JOSEPH BARSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Most recently, the 2004 National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on Clinical Trials stated that ''the portfolio must include more research in this area". ..