Vincent T Martin
- Ovarian hormones and migraine headache: understanding mechanisms and pathogenesis--part 2Vincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267 0535, USA
Headache 46:365-86. 2006..Clearly a greater knowledge of ovarian hormones and their effect on migraine is essential to a greater understanding of the mechanisms and pathogenesis of migraine headache...
- Menstrual migraine: a review of prophylactic therapiesVincent T Martin
University of Cincinnati, Division of General Internal Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Room 6603, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0535, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 8:229-37. 2004..Short-term prophylactics should be tried first because menstrual migraines generally last for 1 to 4 days only. Continuous prophylactics may be considered in those with attacks refractory to short-term therapies...
- New theories in the pathogenesis of menstrual migraineVincent T Martin
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 12:453-62. 2008..Only through an understanding of the mechanisms involved in menstrual migraine can we gain insight into the management of this severe and debilitating form of migraine headache...
- Evaluating the safety and tolerability profile of acute treatments for migraineVincent T Martin
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, 2624 Clifton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221, USA
Am J Med 118:36S-44S. 2005..Therefore, consideration should be given to the tolerability and safety of medications before their use as abortive medications for the treatment of migraine headache...
- Eletriptan treatment of migraine in patients switching from barbiturate-containing analgesics: results from a multiple-attack studyV T Martin
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 452674217, USA
Cephalalgia 25:726-34. 2005..There were no serious treatment-related adverse events. We conclude that in poor responders to butalbital-caffeine combinations, switching to eletriptan 40 mg was well-tolerated and efficacious...
- Ovarian hormones and pain response: a review of clinical and basic science studiesVincent T Martin
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 4217, USA
Gend Med 6:168-92. 2009..This suggests that fluctuations in the ovarian hormones encountered during the female menstrual cycle may increase pain response...
- Symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and their association with migraine headacheVincent T Martin
Departmentof Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 4217, USA
Headache 46:125-37. 2006..To determine the association between the severity of premenstrual (PMS) symptoms and headache outcome measures during natural menstrual cycles and after medical oophorectomy...
- Efficacy of eletriptan in triptan-naïve patients: results of a combined analysisVincent T Martin
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 4217, USA
Headache 47:181-8. 2007..To compare the efficacy and tolerability of eletriptan 20 mg, 40 mg, and 80 mg in triptan-naïve patients (who have not previously used triptans) versus triptan-experienced patients (who have previously used triptans)...
- Epidemiology and biology of menstrual migraineVincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Headache 48:S124-30. 2008..This paper will review the biological bases for the hormonal changes that occur during the menstrual cycle and review the prevalence and burden of menstrual migraine among female headache sufferers...
- Chronic rhinitis and its association with headache frequency and disability in persons with migraine: Results of the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) StudyVincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
Cephalalgia 34:336-48. 2014..Rhinitis is a comorbidity of migraine, but its relationship to migraine headache frequency and headache-related disability is unknown...
- Clinical characteristics of chronic rhinitis patients with high vs low irritant trigger burdensJonathan A Bernstein
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 109:173-8. 2012..Patients with chronic allergic rhinitis (AR) and nonallergic rhinitis (NAR) often experience irritant-induced symptoms. The clinical relevance of the magnitude of their symptoms in response to these nonspecific stimuli remains unclear...
- Defining the relationship between ovarian hormones and migraine headacheVincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 4217, USA
Headache 45:1190-201. 2005....
- Headache and facial pain: differential diagnosis and treatmentJonathan A Bernstein
Professor of Medicine, Director of Clinical Research, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 1:242-51. 2013..Secondary headaches are those that occur as a result of some other disorder and include brain tumors, rhinosinusitis, diseases of intracranial and extracranial vasculature, and temporomandibular joint disease. ..
- Joint hypermobility syndrome: A common clinical disorder associated with migraine in womenElise M Bendik
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 234 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0535, USA
Cephalalgia 31:603-13. 2011..67 (95% CI 1.01, 2.76) and 2.99 (95% CI 1.66, 5.38), respectively, for JHS patients. Our study suggests that JHS is a clinical disorder strongly associated with an increased prevalence, frequency, and disability of migraine in females...
- Ovarian hormones and migraine headache: understanding mechanisms and pathogenesis--part IVincent T Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH 45267 4217, USA
Headache 46:3-23. 2006..The second manuscript will focus on the clinical studies detailing the influence of estrogen and progesterone on migraine headache...
- Cardiovascular tolerability and safety of triptans: a review of clinical dataDavid W Dodick
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, AZ 85359, USA
Headache 44:S20-30. 2004..Therefore, the conclusions of this review cannot be extended to patients with cardiovascular disease. The cardiovascular safety profile of triptans favors their use in the absence of contraindications...
- Migraine and women's healthJeanetta C Rains
Center for Sleep Evaluation, Elliot Hospital, Manchester, New Hampshire, USA
J Am Med Womens Assoc 57:73-8. 2002..This paper argues that migraine is an important women's health concern and that greater attention to migraine promises to make a demonstrable improvement in the quality of life of many women...