Thomas M Maddox
- Implications of the 2013 ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guidelines for Adults in Contemporary Cardiovascular Practice: Insights From the NCDR PINNACLE RegistryThomas M Maddox
Cardiology Section, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 64:2183-92. 2014....
- Patient access and 1-year outcomes of percutaneous coronary intervention facilities with and without on-site cardiothoracic surgery: insights from the Veterans Affairs (VA) Clinical Assessment, Reporting, and Tracking (CART) programThomas M Maddox
From the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, CO T M M, M A S, C O, M E P, S M B, P M H, T T T, J S R University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO T M M, M A S, C O, M E P, S M B, P M H, T T T, J S R Kaiser Permanente Colorado, Denver, CO T T T Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, IL A R S, B S and Veterans Health Administration, U S Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC R J J
Circulation 130:1383-91. 2014..The Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system has used this strategy, with strict quality oversight, since 2005, and can provide insight into this question...
- A national clinical quality program for Veterans Affairs catheterization laboratories (from the Veterans Affairs Clinical Assessment, Reporting, and Tracking Program)Thomas M Maddox
Cardiology Section 111B, Veterans Affairs Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado Electronic address
Am J Cardiol 114:1750-7. 2014..Its approach holds promise in achieving the goals of a learning health care system. ..
- Cardiac crossroads: deciding between mechanical or bioprosthetic heart valve replacementMaggie N Tillquist
School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, USA
Patient Prefer Adherence 5:91-9. 2011..Decision aids can be useful in integrating preferences in the valve decision. Finally, future directions in valve technology, anticoagulation, and medical decision-making are discussed...
- Variations in coronary artery disease secondary prevention prescriptions among outpatient cardiology practices: insights from the NCDR (National Cardiovascular Data Registry)Thomas M Maddox
Veterans Affairs Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, Colorado Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 63:539-46. 2014....
- Association between hyperglycemia at admission during hospitalization for acute myocardial infarction and subsequent diabetes: insights from the veterans administration cardiac care follow-up clinical studySupriya Shore
Corresponding author Thomas M Maddox
Diabetes Care 37:409-18. 2014..Therefore, we examined the association between hyperglycemia (≥140 mg/dL) at admission and evidence of diabetes among patients with AMI without known diabetes within 6 months of their hospitalization...
- Clopidogrel use and hospital quality in medically managed patients with non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarctionThomas M Maddox
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, CO, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 5:523-31. 2012..However, clopidogrel has historically been underused in this population. We evaluated contemporary rates of its use and evaluated associated factors, with a particular focus on hospital quality of myocardial infarction (MI) care...
- Recent hospitalization for non-coronary events and use of preventive medications for coronary artery disease: an observational cohort studySteven M Bradley
Health Services Research and Development Northwest Center of Excellence, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, and University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 11:42. 2011....
- The prognostic importance of abnormal heart rate recovery and chronotropic response among exercise treadmill test patientsThomas M Maddox
Denver VAMC University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Am Heart J 156:736-44. 2008..However, little is known about their prognostic use in combination and in addition to the Duke Treadmill Score (DTS)...
- One-year health status outcomes of unstable angina versus myocardial infarction: a prospective, observational cohort study of ACS survivorsThomas M Maddox
Denver VAMC University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 7:28. 2007..Little is known, however, about the health status outcomes (angina, physical function, and quality of life) of UA versus MI patients among survivors of an ACS hospitalization...
- Blood pressure trajectories and associations with treatment intensification, medication adherence, and outcomes among newly diagnosed coronary artery disease patientsThomas M Maddox
Cardiology Section, Denver VAMC University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 3:347-57. 2010..However, longitudinal studies evaluating these relationships and outcomes are limited...
- Utilization of secondary prevention therapies in patients with nonobstructive coronary artery disease identified during cardiac catheterization: insights from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry Cath-PCI RegistryThomas M Maddox
Denver VAMC University of Colorado Denver, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 3:632-41. 2010..Therefore, we compared rates of secondary prevention medication prescription between patients with nonobstructive and obstructive CAD...
- Health-related quality-of-life outcomes among coronary artery bypass graft surgery patientsThomas M Maddox
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center Staff Cardiologist, Section of Cardiology, Denver VAMC, Denver, CO, USA
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 7:365-72. 2007..We will also offer our view on the current state and future directions of HRQL assessment and use...
- Angina at 1 year after myocardial infarction: prevalence and associated findingsThomas M Maddox
Cardiology Section 111B, Denver Veterans Affairs MedicalCenter, 1055 Clermont St, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1310-6. 2008..Eradication of angina is a primary goal of care after myocardial infarction (MI). However, the prevalence of angina 1 year after MI and factors associated with it are unknown...
- Impaired heart rate recovery is associated with new-onset atrial fibrillation: a prospective cohort studyThomas M Maddox
Cardiology Section, Denver VAMC, Denver, CO, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:11. 2009..However, whether impaired HRR is associated with incident AF is unknown. We studied the association of impaired HRR with the development of incident AF, after controlling for demographic and clinical confounders...
- Medication adherence and the patient with coronary artery disease: challenges for the practitionerThomas M Maddox
Denver VAMC, USA bUniversity of Colorado, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 24:468-72. 2009..Despite its importance, nonadherence remains a significant problem among this population, and a variety of studies have sought to determine its prevalence, contributing factors, and interventions for improvement...
- Delays in filling clopidogrel prescription after hospital discharge and adverse outcomes after drug-eluting stent implantation: implications for transitions of careP Michael Ho
Institute for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente of Colorado, Denver, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 3:261-6. 2010..The frequency with which patients delay filling a clopidogrel prescription after DES implantation and the association of this delay with adverse outcomes is unknown...
- Increased risk of bleeding in patients on clopidogrel therapy after drug-eluting stents implantation: insights from the HMO Research Network-Stent Registry (HMORN-stent)Thomas T Tsai
Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Interv 3:230-5. 2010..Little is known about the competing risk of bleeding from clopidogrel in "real world" clinical practice...
- Medication nonadherence is associated with a broad range of adverse outcomes in patients with coronary artery diseaseP Michael Ho
Cardiology Section, Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
Am Heart J 155:772-9. 2008..Little is known about the effect of nonadherence among patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) on a broad spectrum of outcomes including cardiovascular mortality, cardiovascular hospitalizations, and revascularization procedures...
- Adherence to dabigatran therapy and longitudinal patient outcomes: insights from the veterans health administrationSupriya Shore
Veterans Affairs Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, CO University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, CO
Am Heart J 167:810-7. 2014..We aimed to describe adherence to dabigatran in the first year after initiation and assess the association between non-adherence to dabigatran and clinical outcomes in a large integrated healthcare system...
- Practice-level variation in use of recommended medications among outpatients with heart failure: Insights from the NCDR PINNACLE programPamela N Peterson
Department of Medicine, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO
Circ Heart Fail 6:1132-8. 2013....
- Contraindicated medication use in dialysis patients undergoing percutaneous coronary interventionThomas T Tsai
Denver VA Medical Center, Cardiology Section 111B, 1055 Clermont St, Denver, CO 80220, USA
JAMA 302:2458-64. 2009..Little is known about the use of such medications and their effects on outcomes in clinical practice...
- Patterns of statin initiation, intensification, and maximization among patients hospitalized with an acute myocardial infarctionSuzanne V Arnold
From Saint Luke s Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, MO S V A, M K, F T, J A S Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, IN Z Z, P L M, J B and Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, CO T M M
Circulation 129:1303-9. 2014..Although studies have documented rates of statin prescription as a quality performance measure, variations in hospitals' rates of initiating, intensifying, and maximizing statin therapy after acute myocardial infarction are unknown...
- Normal coronary rates for elective angiography in the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System: insights from the VA CART program (veterans affairs clinical assessment reporting and tracking)Steven M Bradley
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, Colorado Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 63:417-26. 2014..This study sought to determine if an integrated healthcare system is selective and consistent in the use of angiography, as reflected by normal coronary rates...
- Risk of adverse outcomes associated with concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors following acute coronary syndromeP Michael Ho
Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
JAMA 301:937-44. 2009..Prior mechanistic studies reported that omeprazole decreases the platelet inhibitory effects of clopidogrel, yet the clinical significance of these findings is not clear...
- Impaired chronotropic response to exercise stress testing in patients with diabetes predicts future cardiovascular eventsP Michael Ho
1Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Diabetes Care 31:1531-3. 2008..To assess the association between impaired chronotropic response (CR) and adverse events among patients with diabetes referred for exercise treadmill testing (ETT)...
- Hospital-level variation in angina and mortality at 1 year after myocardial infarction: insights from the Translational Research Investigating Underlying Disparities in Acute Myocardial Infarction Patients' Health Status (TRIUMPH) RegistryRebecca Vigen
From the University of Texas at Southwestern, Dallas R V Saint Luke s Mid America Heart Institute University of Missouri, Kansas City J A S, P G J, S V A VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver T M M, P M H, S M B University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora T M M, P M H, S M B and Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research CCOR Consortium, Denver T M M, P M H, S M B
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 7:851-6. 2014..Understanding the relationship between symptoms and longer-term mortality could inform the importance of these outcomes for monitoring quality of care...
- Feasibility of proactive medical device surveillance: the VA Clinical Assessment Reporting and Tracking (CART) programThomas T Tsai
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Department of Medicine, CART Coordinating Center, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Med Care 51:S57-61. 2013..Cardiac catheterization laboratories are high-device utilization areas well suited for device surveillance...
- Impact of medication nonadherence on hospitalizations and mortality in heart failureAshley A Fitzgerald
Division of Cardiology, Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Card Fail 17:664-9. 2011..Limited literature exists on the association between medication adherence and outcomes among patients with heart failure...
- Nonobstructive coronary artery disease and risk of myocardial infarctionThomas M Maddox
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver2University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora
JAMA 312:1754-63. 2014..Little is known about cardiac adverse events among patients with nonobstructive coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Modifiable factors associated with failure to attain low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goal at 6 months after acute myocardial infarctionSeth S Martin
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am Heart J 165:26-33.e3. 2013..We sought to illuminate patient and provider characteristics associated with LDL-C goal nonattainment after AMI...
- Cardiovascular care facts: a report from the national cardiovascular data registry: 2011Frederick A Masoudi
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, Colorado Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 62:1931-47. 2013....
- Safety and Effectiveness of Drug-Eluting Versus Bare-Metal Stents in Saphenous Vein Bypass Graft Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: Insights From the Veterans Affairs CART ProgramVikas Aggarwal
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado University of Colorado, Denver Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, Colorado
J Am Coll Cardiol 64:1825-36. 2014..However, data for the effectiveness of drug-eluting stents (DES) versus bare-metal stents (BMS) in SVG-PCI are unclear...
- Medication adherence in patients with diabetes and dyslipidemia: associated factors and strategies for improvementLucas N Marzec
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Cardiology Section, 111B, 1055 Clermont Street, Denver, CO, 80220, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 15:418. 2013..Cost-related barriers to medication adherence have recently been addressed through examination of health system approaches to decreasing cost-related non-adherence. ..
- Invasive coronary procedure use and outcomes among veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: insights from the Veterans Affairs Clinical Assessment, Reporting, and Tracking ProgramSteven M Bradley
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, CO University of Colorado School of Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Denver, CO Electronic address
Am Heart J 168:381-390.e6. 2014..We compared the patient characteristics and postprocedural outcomes of veterans with and without PTSD undergoing coronary angiography...
- Aging of the United States population: impact on heart failureRebecca Vigen
Division of Cardiology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Curr Heart Fail Rep 9:369-74. 2012....
- Update on diabetic cardiomyopathy: inches forward, miles to goMaggie N Tillquist
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Curr Diab Rep 12:305-13. 2012..These recent insights provide important additions to our knowledge about diabetic cardiomyopathy, but much remains unknown...
- Disparities in cardiac care: rising to the challenge of Healthy People 2010Marsha Lillie-Blanton
Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation, Washington, DC 20005, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:503-8. 2004....
- Preoperative cardiovascular evaluation for noncardiac surgeryThomas M Maddox
Zena and Michael A Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, Box 1030, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One East 100th Street, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 72:185-92. 2005..The best risk reduction strategy for these patients is perioperative beta blockade use. The role of coronary revascularization specifically to reduce perioperative cardiac complications remains unproven...