Brian C Lund
- Regional differences in prescribing quality among elder veterans and the impact of rural residenceBrian C Lund
Veterans Rural Health Resource Center Central Region, VA Iowa City Health Care System, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Rural Health 29:172-9. 2013..Therefore, the objectives of this study were to characterize prescribing quality variation among older adults across geographic region, and to compare prescribing quality across rural versus urban residence...
- Patient and facility characteristics associated with benzodiazepine prescribing for veterans with PTSDBrian C Lund
Center for ComprehensiveAccess and Delivery Research and Evaluation, and Veterans Rural Health ResourceCenter Central Region, Iowa City Veterans Affairs VA Health Care System, 601 Hwy 6 W, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Psychiatr Serv 64:149-55. 2013..Although use has declined, the VHA prescription rate is ≥30% nationally. To inform intervention design, this study examined patient- and facility-level correlates of benzodiazepine prescribing...
- Benzodiazepine prescribing variation and clinical uncertainty in treating posttraumatic stress disorderBrian C Lund
Center for Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Mailstop 152, 601 Hwy 6 W, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Psychiatr Serv 64:21-7. 2013....
- Declining benzodiazepine use in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderBrian C Lund
Center for Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 73:292-6. 2012..We examined recent trends in benzodiazepine prescribing among veterans with PTSD in terms of frequency of use, duration of use, and dose...
- Inappropriate prescribing predicts adverse drug events in older adultsBrian C Lund
Center for the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Ann Pharmacother 44:957-63. 2010..However, no such link has been established for actual inappropriate prescribing using implicit measures...
- Beers criteria as a proxy for inappropriate prescribing of other medications among older adultsBrian C Lund
Center for Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation, Veterans Affairs Iowa City Health Care System, Iowa City, IA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 45:1363-70. 2011..The Beers criteria are a compilation of medications deemed potentially inappropriate for older adults, widely used as a prescribing quality indicator...
- Aligning clinical practice to PTSD treatment guidelines: medication prescribing by provider typeThad E Abrams
Center for Comprehensive Access andDelivery Research and Evaluation, Iowa City Veterans Affairs VA Health Care System, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Psychiatr Serv 64:142-8. 2013..S. Department of Defense. To better understand this practice, this study examined prescribing frequencies for three classes of psychiatric medications and the proportion of prescribing attributable to various provider types...
- Prescribing trends in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderNancy C Bernardy
National Center for PTSD, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05001, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 73:297-303. 2012..The authors examined prescribing patterns for other medications to better understand the general context in which the changes in benzodiazepine prescribing have occurred in the VA...
- The concurrent use of anticholinergics and cholinesterase inhibitors: rare event or common practice?Ryan M Carnahan
Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:2082-7. 2004..To measure the prevalence of anticholinergic use cross-sectionally in patients receiving cholinesterase inhibitors and to describe change in use of anticholinergics upon inception of cholinesterase inhibitor treatment...
- Association of health literacy with medication knowledge, adherence, and adverse drug events among elderly veteransHilary J Mosher
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Health Commun 17:241-51. 2012..14; or with adverse drug events at 1 year (48% vs. 33% vs. 40%; p = .30). Patients with lower health literacy have poorer medication knowledge but not lower adherence or increased adverse drug events...
- The comparative effectiveness of hydrochlorothiazide and chlorthalidone in an observational cohort of veteransBrian C Lund
Center for Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 14:623-9. 2012....
- Early discontinuation and suboptimal dosing of prazosin: a potential missed opportunity for veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderBruce Alexander
Iowa City VA Health Care System Mailstop 152, 601 Hwy 6 West, Iowa City, IA 52246
J Clin Psychiatry 76:e639-44. 2015..As existing literature suggests this novel treatment option to be underutilized, we examined a cohort of veterans with PTSD initiating prazosin to characterize their typical duration of use and dosing patterns...
- Increased polysedative use in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderNancy C Bernardy
National Center for PTSD, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT, USA Department of Psychiatry, The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH, USA
Pain Med 15:1083-90. 2014..Pharmacologic approaches to these conditions can produce an accumulation of sedating medications with potential for safety concerns...
- The association of weight gain and olanzapine plasma concentrationsPaul J Perry
Department of Clinical and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:250-4. 2005..The association of weight gain with plasma concentrations during treatment with olanzapine may support the utilization of plasma drug concentration as a marker for antipsychotic-induced weight gain in the treatment of schizophrenia...
- Incidence- Versus Prevalence-Based Measures of Inappropriate Prescribing in the Veterans Health AdministrationBrian C Lund
Center for Comprehensive Access and Delivery Research and Evaluation, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Iowa City, Iowa
J Am Geriatr Soc 63:1601-7. 2015..To describe variations in potentially inappropriate prescribing (PIP) and characterize the extent to which switching to an incidence-based indicator would affect health system quality rankings...
- Renewed interest in chlorthalidone: evidence from the Veterans Health AdministrationMichael E Ernst
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science and College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 12:927-34. 2010..44; 95% confidence interval, 0.42-0.46). Evaluation of national prescribing trends indicates that hydrochlorothiazide remains the most commonly prescribed thiazide, but there appears to be a shift toward more new users of chlorthalidone...
- Anabolic steroid use in weightlifters and bodybuilders: an internet survey of drug utilizationPaul J Perry
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, and the College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1112, USA
Clin J Sport Med 15:326-30. 2005..Prior reports of anabolic steroid use suggest polypharmacy and high doses of injectable agents...
- Evaluation of the Iowa Medicaid pharmaceutical case management programElizabeth A Chrischilles
Health Effectiveness Research Center, Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 44:337-49. 2004..To test the effect of pharmaceutical case management (PCM) on medication safety and health care utilization...