Kathy S Albain
Affiliation: Loyola University Medical Center
- Racial disparities in cancer survival among randomized clinical trials patients of the Southwest Oncology GroupKathy S Albain
Department of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:984-92. 2009..Our objective was to determine whether racial disparities in survival exist among patients enrolled in consecutive trials conducted by the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG)...
- Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trialKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Lancet Oncol 11:55-65. 2010....
- Reducing the global breast cancer burden: the importance of patterns of care researchKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Strich School of Medicine, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 6:412-20. 2005..This unique international effort would allow the development of strategies to improve diagnostic and treatment-related standards of care and survival outcomes, thus reducing the breast cancer burden worldwide...
- PIONEER: a phase III randomized trial of paclitaxel poliglumex versus paclitaxel in chemotherapy-naive women with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer and performance status of 2Kathy S Albain
Loyola University, Chicago Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:417-9. 2006
- Radiotherapy plus chemotherapy with or without surgical resection for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III randomised controlled trialKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153 5589, USA
Lancet 374:379-86. 2009..We therefore did this phase III trial to compare concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy followed by resection with standard concurrent chemotherapy and definitive radiotherapy without resection...
- Gemcitabine plus Paclitaxel versus Paclitaxel monotherapy in patients with metastatic breast cancer and prior anthracycline treatmentKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, 2160 S First Ave, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3950-7. 2008..It was designed as a pivotal study for the approval of G for a breast cancer treatment indication...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy and timing of tamoxifen in postmenopausal patients with endocrine-responsive, node-positive breast cancer: a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trialKathy S Albain
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, USA
Lancet 374:2055-63. 2009..We assessed the benefit of adding chemotherapy to adjuvant tamoxifen and whether tamoxifen should be given concurrently or after chemotherapy...
- Concurrent cisplatin, etoposide, and chest radiotherapy in pathologic stage IIIB non-small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group phase II study, SWOG 9019Kathy S Albain
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3454-60. 2002..These results also justify use of the SWOG-9019 approach as a control arm in ongoing phase III trials...
- Prediction of adjuvant chemotherapy benefit in endocrine responsive, early breast cancer using multigene assaysKathy S Albain
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Breast 18:S141-5. 2009..This literature-based review summarizes these data and provides a perspective on the limitations and clinical utility of these assays...
- Efficacy of gefitinib, an inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase, in symptomatic patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized trialMark G Kris
Thoracic Oncology Service, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
JAMA 290:2149-58. 2003..04) and diarrhea (P =.006). CONCLUSIONS: Gefitinib, a well-tolerated oral EGFR-tyrosine kinase inhibitor, improved disease-related symptoms and induced radiographic tumor regressions in patients with NSCLC persisting after chemotherapy...
- Multimodality therapy for stage III non-small-cell lung cancerDaniel Farray
Loyola University Medical Center, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153-5589, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:3257-69. 2005..Furthermore, how to incorporate radiation therapy, as well as whether it should be given at all in this subset of patients, are other important issues actively under study in ongoing trials...
- Multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized phase II trial of gemcitabine/cisplatin plus bevacizumab or placebo in patients with malignant mesotheliomaHedy L Kindler
University of Chicago ComprehensiveCancer Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:2509-15. 2012..We added the anti-VEGF antibody bevacizumab to gemcitabine/cisplatin in a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized phase II trial in patients with previously untreated, unresectable MM...
- Proceedings of the First Global Workshop on Breast Cancer: pathways to the evaluation and clinical development of novel agents for breast cancerKathy S Albain
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL
Clin Breast Cancer 10:421-39. 2010..This summary highlights selected challenges in the current management of breast cancer and discusses expert perspectives, key questions, areas of debate, and future directions...
- Clinical factors used to support prophylactic mastectomy for a male BRCA2 mutation carrierMaryam Guiahi
Department of Surgery, Cardinal Bernardin, Cancer Center, Loyola University Medical Center, IL 60153, USA
Surgery 139:704-6. 2006
- Prevalence of secondary causes of bone loss among breast cancer patients with osteopenia and osteoporosisPauline M Camacho
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hematology Oncology Institute, Department of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:5380-5. 2008..To determine the prevalence of secondary causes of bone loss among patients with breast cancer with osteopenia and osteoporosis...
- Inhibition of Notch signaling reduces the stem-like population of breast cancer cells and prevents mammosphere formationPeter Grudzien
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Anticancer Res 30:3853-67. 2010..One approach may be targeting signaling pathways, like Notch, that are involved in stem cell self-renewal and survival...
- Acute lung injury associated with vinorelbineTawee Tanvetyanon
Division of Hematology/Oncology, and Lung Transplantation Program, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1952-3. 2006
- Prospective multicenter study of the impact of the 21-gene recurrence score assay on medical oncologist and patient adjuvant breast cancer treatment selectionShelly S Lo
Loyola University Medical Center, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, 2160 S First Ave, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1671-6. 2010..This multicenter study was designed to prospectively examine whether RS affects physician and patient adjuvant treatment selection and satisfaction...
- Correlation of nipple aspiration and ductal lavage cytology with histopathologic findings for patients before scheduled breast biopsy examinationKristine E West
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S. 1st Ave, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Surg 191:57-60. 2006..The role of ductal lavage in accurately predicting lesions present on subsequent breast histologic evaluation of planned biopsy examinations requires further investigation...
- Phase III trial of maintenance gefitinib or placebo after concurrent chemoradiotherapy and docetaxel consolidation in inoperable stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: SWOG S0023Karen Kelly
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2450-6. 2008..Early clinical studies with gefitinib showed promising efficacy and mild toxicity in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Thus, gefitinib was an ideal agent to evaluate in a maintenance setting in stage III disease...
- Gemcitabine in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy: a phase II California cancer consortium trialPrimo N Lara
University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 6:102-7. 2004..06). We concluded that salvage gemcitabine in this dose and schedule is safe and tolerable in previously platinum-treated patients with NSCLC...
- Quantification of chemotherapeutic target gene mRNA expression in human breast cancer biopsies: comparison of real-time reverse transcription-PCR vs. relative quantification reverse transcription-PCR utilizing DNA sequencer analysis of PCR productsAgnes Juhasz
Department of Medical Oncology, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, California 91010, USA
J Clin Lab Anal 17:184-94. 2003..By allowing the measurement of intratumoral target gene expression, these new methods may prove useful in predicting the clinical utility of gemcitabine- and platinum-containing chemotherapy programs in patients with solid tumors...
- Consolidation docetaxel after concurrent chemoradiotherapy in stage IIIB non-small-cell lung cancer: phase II Southwest Oncology Group Study S9504David R Gandara
University of California, Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2004-10. 2003..Nevertheless, this study remains hypothesis-generating and does not provide definitive evidence of the benefit of this approach. Phase III trials evaluating the S9504 regimen have been initiated to validate these results...
- The potential role of surgery after induction treatmentDominique H Grunenwald
Thoracic Department, Institut Mutualiste Montsouris, Paris, France
Semin Radiat Oncol 14:335-9. 2004..Finally, we conclude that mediastinal nodal downstaging after induction therapy significantly improves the survival of patients who are surgically resected after induction...
- Improving survival and reducing toxicity with chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer : a realistic goal?Fiona H Blackhall
Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Treat Respir Med 4:71-84. 2005....
- Current standards and ongoing controversies in the management of locally advanced non-small cell lung cancerHoward West
Swedish Cancer Institute, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Semin Oncol 32:284-92. 2005..While there exists a range of acceptable standard approaches to the treatment of stage III NSCLC, this review will describe several conclusions that have emerged and how they evolved...
- Sequencing of tamoxifen and radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery in early-stage breast cancerLori J Pierce
Southwest Oncology Group, San Antonio, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:24-9. 2005..04; P = .54). CONCLUSION: The current analysis does not suggest an adverse effect on local or systemic control with CONC versus SEQ TAM and RT in node-negative breast cancer. A randomized trial is encouraged to validate these results...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology 2003 update on the role of bisphosphonates and bone health issues in women with breast cancerBruce E Hillner
J Clin Oncol 21:4042-57. 2003..Although new data addressing when to stop therapy, alternative doses or schedules for administration, and how to best coordinate bisphosphonates with other palliative therapies are needed, they are not currently being investigated...
- Breast cancer chemoprevention phase I evaluation of biomarker modulation by arzoxifene, a third generation selective estrogen receptor modulatorCarol J Fabian
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:5403-17. 2004..We performed a multi-institutional evaluation of arzoxifene in women with newly diagnosed ductal carcinoma in situ or T1/T2 invasive cancer...
- Phase III randomized placebo-controlled trial of two doses of megestrol acetate as treatment for menopausal symptoms in women with breast cancer: Southwest Oncology Group Study 9626J Wendall Goodwin
Cancer Research for the Ozarks, 1730 E Republic Rd, Suite V, Springfield, MO 65804, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1650-6. 2008..Prior progestin studies treating hot flashes in women have been short duration and single dose. This study tests the progestin megestrol acetate (MA) at two doses versus placebo over 6 months...
- The global breast cancer burden: variations in epidemiology and survivalGabriel N Hortobagyi
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 6:391-401. 2005..This will aid the development of tailored strategies to improve outcomes in general as well as the standard of care for underserved populations and reduce the burden of breast cancer worldwide...
- Therapeutic strategies for combined-modality therapy of locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: rationale for consolidation docetaxel therapyDavid R Gandara
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, CA 95817 2229, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:S93-7. 2005..Herein, we review the rationale for a treatment paradigm employing consolidation docetaxel therapy after concurrent chemotherapy/RT and the results of recent clinical trials using this approach...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for lymph node-negative, estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer: a tale of three trialsKathy S Albain
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1801-4. 2004
- Long-term survival with concurrent chemoradiation therapy followed by consolidation docetaxel in stage IIIB non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase II Southwest Oncology Group Study (S9504)David R Gandara
University of California, Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 8:116-21. 2006..Survival outcomes were compared with a predecessor study (S9019) with identical eligibility, staging criteria, and treatment, excepting docetaxel consolidation...
- p27(Kip1) and cyclin E expression and breast cancer survival after treatment with adjuvant chemotherapyPeggy L Porter
Division of Human Biology and Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:1723-31. 2006..We studied these markers in a clinical trial setting with patients with breast cancer treated by a uniform drug regimen so that treatment was not associated with variability in outcome...
- Impact of a peer-delivered telephone intervention for women experiencing a breast cancer recurrenceCarolyn Cook Gotay
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:2093-9. 2007..The Southwest Oncology Group conducted a phase III randomized trial to evaluate the effectiveness of a brief telephone intervention...
- A phase II study of cisplatin preceded by a 12-h continuous infusion of concurrent hydroxyurea and cytosine arabinoside (Ara-C) for adult patients with malignant gliomas (Southwest Oncology Group S9149)Lode J Swinnen
Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, CRB 2M88, 1650 Orleans Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Neurooncol 86:353-8. 2008..Although benefit might be possible in a more platinum-sensitive tumor type, further clinical trials with this regimen for patients with glioblastoma multiforme or anaplastic astrocytoma are not justified...
- Late cardiac effects of adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer survivors treated on Southwest Oncology Group protocol s8897Patricia A Ganz
School of Medicine, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles, 650 Charles Young Dr South, Room A2 125 CHS, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6900, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1223-30. 2008..The late cardiac effects of adjuvant anthracycline therapy in survivors of early-stage breast cancer have had limited study. Subclinical and clinical cardiac late effects may contribute to added comorbidity over time...
- Time from treatment to subsequent diagnosis of brain metastases in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective review by the Southwest Oncology GroupLaurie E Gaspar
MBA, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, 1665 N Ursula St, Box F 706, Ste 1032, Aurora, CO 80010 0510, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:2955-61. 2005..CONCLUSION Brain metastases often develop early in the course of treatment for stage IIIA/B NSCLC. The statistical designs of ongoing trials of prophylactic cranial irradiation in stage III NSCLC have taken this into account...