Patrick B Wood
Affiliation: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- Stress and dopamine: implications for the pathophysiology of chronic widespread painPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, LSU Health Science Center Shreveport, 1501 Kings Highway Shreveport, LA 71103, USA
Med Hypotheses 62:420-4. 2004..A stress-related dysfunction of mesolimbic dopaminergic activity might serve as the basis for other fibromyalgia-associated phenomena as well...
- Open trial of pindolol in the treatment of fibromyalgiaPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Science Center Shreveport, LA 71103 3932, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:1812-6. 2005..Evidence suggests that fibromyalgia is related to both chronic sympathetic hyperactivity and decreased levels of serotonin...
- Accelerated brain gray matter loss in fibromyalgia patients: premature aging of the brain?Anil Kuchinad
McGill Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
J Neurosci 27:4004-7. 2007..Moreover, the regions in which we demonstrate objective changes may be functionally linked to core features of the disorder including affective disturbances and chronic widespread pain...
- Role of central dopamine in pain and analgesiaPatrick B Wood
Angler Biomedical Technologies, LLC, 18401 Reed Parks Road, Jonestown, TX 78645, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 8:781-97. 2008....
- Insular hypometabolism in a patient with fibromyalgia: a case studyPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Louisiana 71103, USA
Pain Med 9:365-70. 2008..Neuroimaging studies have demonstrated differential involvement of a variety of brain centers in fibromyalgia both at baseline and in response to stimulation. The insular cortex is one such structure...
- Novel pharmacotherapy for fibromyalgiaPatrick B Wood
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Department of Family Medicine, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 16:829-41. 2007..Key insights from basic research are the basis for increased optimism for effective relief among patients and clinicians...
- Reduced presynaptic dopamine activity in fibromyalgia syndrome demonstrated with positron emission tomography: a pilot studyPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Shreveport, LA 71103, USA
J Pain 8:51-8. 2007..Although the small sample size makes these findings preliminary, it appears that FMS might be characterized by a disruption of dopaminergic neurotransmission...
- Mesolimbic dopaminergic mechanisms and pain controlPatrick B Wood
Departments of Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Psychiatry, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
Pain 120:230-4. 2006
- Changes in hippocampal metabolites after effective treatment for fibromyalgia: a case studyPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Psychiatry, LSU Health Sciences Center, Biomedical Research Institute of NW Louisiana, Shreveport, USA
Clin J Pain 25:810-4. 2009..Basic science has demonstrated the hippocampus to be exquisitely sensitive to the effects of stressful experience, which results in changes including alterations in metabolite content and frank atrophy...
- Changes in gray matter density in fibromyalgia: correlation with dopamine metabolismPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, USA
J Pain 10:609-18. 2009..The current results confirm our previous findings that FM is associated with altered brain morphometry. Alterations in dopamine metabolism might contribute to the associated changes in gray matter density...
- Hippocampal metabolite abnormalities in fibromyalgia: correlation with clinical featuresPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, LSU Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
J Pain 10:47-52. 2009..681, P = .018). Our results indicate that fibromyalgia is associated with brain metabolite abnormalities within the right hippocampus that correlate with patient symptoms...
- Neuroimaging in functional somatic syndromesPatrick B Wood
Department of Family Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71103, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 67:119-63. 2005
- Fibromyalgia patients show an abnormal dopamine response to painPatrick B Wood
McGill University Centre for Research on Pain, Faculty of Dentistry, 3640 University Street, Strathcona Building, Montreal, QC, Canada, H3A 2B2
Eur J Neurosci 25:3576-82. 2007....
- A reconsideration of the relevance of systemic low-dose ketamine to the pathophysiology of fibromyalgiaPatrick B Wood
Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Pain 7:611-4. 2006..The implications for future therapies for fibromyalgia, and indeed many other chronic pain conditions, are discussed in light of these insights...