Affiliation: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and associated diseases among outpatients in a public hospitalJian Huang
Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA 71130 3932, USA
South Med J 96:558-62. 2003....
- Up-regulation of DLK1 as an imprinted gene could contribute to human hepatocellular carcinomaJian Huang
Shanghai Ministry Key Laboratory of Disease and Health Genomics, Chinese National Human Genome Center at Shanghai, 351 Guo Shou Jing Road, Shanghai 201203, China
Carcinogenesis 28:1094-103. 2007..These data suggest that DLK1 as an imprinted gene could be significantly up-regulated in HCC due to certain epigenetic events and contribute to the oncogenesis of this tumor...
- Physicians' weight loss counseling in two public hospital primary care clinicsJian Huang
Lusiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130 3932, USA
Acad Med 79:156-61. 2004....
- Tipping the scales: the effect of literacy on obese patients' knowledge and readiness to lose weightEstela M Kennen
Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
South Med J 98:15-8. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the association between the literacy level of overweight/obese patients and their weight-loss knowledge, attitudes, and readiness...
- Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients with metabolic syndromeJian Huang
Department of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
J Investig Med 56:931-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine non-HDL cholesterol in relation to other lipid components and comorbidities in MS patients...
- Provider and patient intervention to improve weight loss: a pilot study in a public hospital clinicTerry C Davis
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Department of Medicine and Pediatrics, Shreveport, LA 71130, United States
Patient Educ Couns 72:56-62. 2008..To assess the efficacy of a literacy-appropriate weight loss intervention targeting providers and patients in improving physicians' weight loss counseling and patients' self-reported beliefs, and self-efficacy...
- Mild hypothermia induced before cardiac arrest reduces brain edema formation in ratsFeng Xiao
Department of Emergency Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Acad Emerg Med 9:105-14. 2002..The authors hypothesized that mild hypothermia induced before CA attenuates brain edema formation by preventing neutrophil-mediated dysfunction of the endothelial cell junction proteins...
- Rhabdomyolysis in response to weight-loss herbal medicineIshak A Mansi
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine in Shreveport, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
Am J Med Sci 327:356-7. 2004..Physicians should be aware of the potential side effects of many herbal medicines. It may be advisable to measure serum CK enzyme for patients who admit using weight-loss herbs...
- Protective effect of pentoxifylline on volume-induced lung injury in newborn pigletsWilliam E Smalling
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Biol Neonate 86:15-21. 2004..These results suggest that PTXF may be effective in modulating lung inflammation associated with mechanical ventilation in neonates...
- Regularized estimation in the accelerated failure time model with high-dimensional covariatesJian Huang
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Biometrics 62:813-20. 2006..The proposed method is evaluated using simulations and demonstrated on a real data example...
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 suppresses oridonin-induced L929 apoptosis through extracellular signal-regulated kinase-dependent and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-independent pathwayJian Huang
China Japan Research Institute of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, China
J Pharmacol Sci 102:305-13. 2006..However, in the presence of FGF-2, Bcl-2 phosphorylation was blocked, and the Ras/Raf/ERK signal pathway was activated and protected against the oridonin-induced apoptosis by the alternative function of promoting of Bcl-2 expression...
- The Helicobacter pylori virulence factor CagA promotes Erk1/2-mediated Bad phosphorylation in lymphocytes: a mechanism of CagA-inhibited lymphocyte apoptosisYongliang Zhu
Department of Gastroenterology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Cell Microbiol 9:952-61. 2007..Our results reveal that CagA, to some extent like IL-3, can enhance lymphocytes' ability to evade apoptosis through phosphorylation of Bad. This may account, at least in part, for the ability of CagA to promote lymphomagenesis...
- Correlates of lifetime suicide attempts among individuals with affective disorders in a Chinese rural communityMao Sheng Ran
University of Guam, Mangilao, Guam 96923, USA
Arch Suicide Res 11:119-27. 2007....
- Treatment-enhanced CD4+Foxp3+ glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family related high regulatory tumor-infiltrating T cells limit the effectiveness of cytokine-based immunotherapyAklile Berhanu
Department of Immunology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Immunol 178:3400-8. 2007..Importantly, in vivo depletion of CD4+ T cells resulted in the ability of previously ineffective, rFL plus rGM-CSF therapy-induced CD8+ T cells to now mediate tumor regression...
- Down-regulation of SFRP1 as a putative tumor suppressor gene can contribute to human hepatocellular carcinomaJian Huang
Shanghai Ministry Key Laboratory of Disease and Health Genomics, Chinese National Human Genome Center at Shanghai, Shanghai, China
BMC Cancer 7:126. 2007..However, whether the down-regulation of SFRP1 can contribute to hepatocarcinogenesis still remains unclear...
- The yeast RSC chromatin-remodeling complex is required for kinetochore function in chromosome segregationJing mei Hsu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Morse Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, and Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, State University of New York, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:3202-15. 2003....
- A new triterpenoid from Panax ginseng exhibits cytotoxicity through p53 and the caspase signaling pathway in the HepG2 cell lineJian Huang
Department of Phytochemistry, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 49, 103 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, P R China
Arch Pharm Res 31:323-9. 2008..Compound 1 had the highest cytotoxic potency, with an IC50 value of 20.1 microM, by stimulating p53-mediated cell cycle arrest at the G1 to S phase transition, leading to apoptosis via activation of the caspase signaling pathway...
- Regulation of gene expression in the mammalian eye and its relevance to eye diseaseTodd E Scheetz
Departments of Ophthalmology and Biomedical Engineering, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:14429-34. 2006..These data and analytical approaches can be used to facilitate the discovery of additional genes and regulatory elements involved in human eye disease...
- Combinational FLt3 ligand and granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor treatment promotes enhanced tumor infiltration by dendritic cells and antitumor CD8(+) T-cell cross-priming but is ineffective as a therapyAklile Berhanu
Department of Immunology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Cancer Res 66:4895-903. 2006..Based on the enhanced infiltration of tumors by CD4(+)CD25(+) TIL in Flt3 ligand + GM-CSF-treated mice, this could reflect the dominant influence of regulatory T cells in situ...
- Myosin light chain kinase and myosin phosphorylation effect frequency-dependent potentiation of skeletal muscle contractionGang Zhi
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17519-24. 2005....
- Intake of soy foods and soy isoflavones by rural adult women in ChinaZhaoping Liu
Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 29 Nanwei Road, Beijing, 100050, China
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:204-9. 2004..The distribution of intake was skewed to the right and varied among women in regard to region, age group and education level...
- Estrogen regulates neprilysin activity in rat brainJian Huang
College of Life Science, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China
Neurosci Lett 367:85-7. 2004..Estrogen replacement restores neprilysin levels back to control values. These changes in neprilysin activity suggest that in women estrogen is required to maintain basal levels of neprilysin...
- A robust two-way semi-linear model for normalization of cDNA microarray dataDeli Wang
Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Unit, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 6:14. 2005..Normalization is a basic step in microarray data analysis. A proper normalization procedure ensures that the intensity ratios provide meaningful measures of relative expression values...
- Genome-wide linkage analysis of blood pressure under locus heterogeneityXinqun Yang
Department of Biostatistics, Division of Statistical Genetics, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
BMC Genet 4:S78. 2003..01. Two of them (GATA14E09 and 049xd2) seem to overlap with linkage signals reported previously, while the other two are not linked to any known signals...
- Anti-SARS-CoV immunoglobulin G in healthcare workers, Guangzhou, ChinaWei Qing Chen
School of Public Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Zhongshan Road II 74, Guangzhou 510080, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 11:89-94. 2005..Low level of immunity among unaffected healthcare workers reinforces the need for adequate personal protection and other infection control measures in hospitals to prevent future epidemics...
- [Intake of soy isoflavones and its correlation with prevalence of chronic diseases among rural women in Weichang County and Lanzhou City in China]Zhaoping Liu
National Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 33:734-6. 2004..05). These findings indicated an inverse correlation between soy isoflavones intakes and the prevalence of chronic diseases, suggesting that soy isoflavones may play a potential role in the prevention for chronic diseases...
- [Study on inhibitory effect of matrine on cyclooxygenase-2 expression in colon cancer HT-29 cell line]Jian Huang
Department of Oncology, The Second Hospital Affiliated to Medical College of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 25:240-3. 2005..To explore the effect of matrine on cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression in colon cancer HT-29 cell line at the level of gene and protein...
- Pathogenicity of GB virus C on virus hepatitis and hemodialysis patientsWan Fu Zhu
Department of Microbiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:1739-42. 2003..To determine the pathogenicity of GB virus C (GBV-C) on liver and the effects of its co-infection on the clinical features and prognosis of patients with hepatitis B and C...
- Bcl-2 up-regulation and P-p53 down-regulation account for the low sensitivity of murine L929 fibrosarcoma cells to oridonin-induced apoptosisJian Huang
China Japan Research Institute of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, P R China
Biol Pharm Bull 28:2068-74. 2005..These results indicated that in L929 cells, there was a relationship among the low sensitivity to oridonin, down-regulation of p53 phosphorylation and Bcl-2 up-regulation...
- Ecclesiastes, cardiac arrest, and the electrocardiogramRaymond E Ideker
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 28:607-9. 2005