D S Dwyer
Affiliation: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- An ethanol-sensitive variant of the PC12 neuronal cell line: sensitivity to alcohol is associated with increased cell adhesion and decreased glucose accumulationD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, LSU Medical Center Shreveport, Shreveport, Louisiana, 71130, USA
J Cell Physiol 178:93-101. 1999..Thus, there appears to be an interplay between energy metabolism in the cell and the response to ethanol...
- Molecular simulation of the effects of alcohols on peptide structureD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, LSU Medical Center Shreveport 71130, USA
Biopolymers 49:635-45. 1999..The data suggest that alcohols at low concentrations affect protein structure mainly through a combination of hydrogen-bonding and hydrophobic interactions that are influenced by the properties of the solvent...
- Antipsychotic drugs affect glucose uptake and the expression of glucose transporters in PC12 cellsD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, LSU Medical Center Shreveport Shreveport, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 23:69-80. 1999....
- Dopamine receptor antagonists modulate glucose uptake in rat pheochromocytoma (PC12) cellsD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport 71130 3932, USA
Neurosci Lett 274:151-4. 1999..These findings may have implications for the adverse effects of these drugs and for the interpretation of imaging studies of brain glucose metabolism in patients on antipsychotic medications...
- Chemical properties of alcohols and their protein binding sitesD S Dwyer
LSU Medical Center Shreveport, Department of Psychiatry, Louisiana 71130, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 57:265-75. 2000..Binding at these sites may alter the local protein structure or displace bound solvent molecules and perturb the function of key proteins...
- Inhibition of glucose transport in PC12 cells by the atypical antipsychotic drugs risperidone and clozapine, and structural analogs of clozapineT D Ardizzone
Department of Pharmacology, LSU Health Sciences Center, 1501 Kings Hwy, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Brain Res 923:82-90. 2001..Furthermore, this work may provide clues about how the antipsychotic drugs produce hyperglycemia in vivo...
- Glucose metabolism in relation to schizophrenia and antipsychotic drug treatmentD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Louisiana 71130 3932, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 13:103-13. 2001..This paper reviews the relevant literature in a preliminary attempt to understand the implications of such clinical findings in the light of basic research...
- Electronic properties of the amino acid side chains contribute to the structural preferences in protein foldingD S Dwyer
Department of Psychiatry, LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport, 71130 3932, USA
J Biomol Struct Dyn 18:881-92. 2001..A theoretical model has been proposed to explain how the electronic properties of the side chain groups might influence folding along the peptide backbone...