Alan B Ettinger
Affiliation: Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Use of antiepileptic drugs for nonepileptic conditions: psychiatric disorders and chronic painAlan B Ettinger
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, New York 11040, USA
Neurotherapeutics 4:75-83. 2007..Topiramate and divalproex sodium have utility in the prophylaxis or acute treatment of migraine. Further rigorous studies are needed to clarify the utility of AEDs in nonepileptic conditions...
- Psychotropic effects of antiepileptic drugsAlan B Ettinger
EEG Lab, North Shore LIJ, Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers, 270 05 76th Ave, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Neurology 67:1916-25. 2006..We review most studies of the psychotropic effects of AEDs that have involved potential psychiatric applications and have been reported in the psychiatric literature...
- Commentary on "Personality changes following temporal lobectomy for epilepsy"Alan B Ettinger
Division of EEG and Epilepsy, Department of Neurology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 270-05 76th Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:601-2. 2004
- Depression and comorbidity in community-based patients with epilepsy or asthmaAlan Ettinger
Department of Neurology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 270 05 76th Ave, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Neurology 63:1008-14. 2004....
- Prevalence of bipolar symptoms in epilepsy vs other chronic health disordersAlan B Ettinger
Department of Neurology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Neurology 65:535-40. 2005..To estimate the comparative prevalence of bipolar symptoms in respondents with epilepsy vs other chronic medical conditions...
- Best clinical and research practice in epilepsy of older people: Focus on antiepileptic drug adherenceAlan B Ettinger
North Shore LIJ Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers, EEG Lab LIJMC, 270 05 76th Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Epilepsy Behav 15:S60-3. 2009..This issue highlights that to ameliorate the impact of epilepsy for the older person with epilepsy, a greater understanding is required so that appropriate interventions can be tailored...
- Effect of lamotrigine on depressive symptoms in adult patients with epilepsyAlan B Ettinger
North Shore LIJ Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, EEG Lab, 270 05 76th Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 10:148-54. 2007..1, P=ns). Compared with placebo, lamotrigine improved mood symptoms independently of seizure reduction in patients with generalized seizures. Lamotrigine may be useful in treating patients with epilepsy and comorbid depressive symptoms...
- Prevalence and cost of nonadherence to antiepileptic drugs in elderly patients with epilepsyAlan B Ettinger
North Shore Long Island Jewish Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers, EEG Lab LIJMC, New Hyde Park, NY 11040, USA
Epilepsy Behav 14:324-9. 2009..0008), other outpatient ancillary (+$1741, P=0.0081), and total health care (+$2674, P=0.0059) costs. AED adherence among elderly patients with epilepsy is suboptimal and associated with increased seizures and health care costs...
- Do mood instability symptoms in epilepsy represent formal bipolar disorder?Connie Lau
Department of Neurology, North Shore LIJ Health System, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
Epilepsia 53:e37-40. 2012..Symptoms picked up by the MDQ may be epilepsy-related depressive symptoms. Bipolar symptoms are associated with more disability, worse QOL, and may have treatment implications...
- Effects of lamotrigine compared with levetiracetam on anger, hostility, and total mood in patients with partial epilepsyDavid M Labiner
Department of Neurology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Epilepsia 50:434-42. 2009..To assess anger/hostility during treatment with lamotrigine adjunctive therapy versus levetiracetam adjunctive therapy in patients with partial seizures...
- Sexual dysfunction in patients with epilepsy: communication strategies and assessment toolsOlga Fishman
Department of Neurology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY, USA
CNS Spectr 11:38-45. 2006..The utility of standardized sexual dysfunction questionnaires is reviewed and the important elements of appropriate and effective counseling are highlighted...
- Consensus statement: the evaluation and treatment of people with epilepsy and affective disordersJohn J Barry
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
Epilepsy Behav 13:S1-29. 2008..Recommendations are based on the general depression literature as well as epilepsy-specific studies. It is hoped that this document will improve the overall detection and subsequent treatment of affective illnesses in PWE...
- Aggression and violence in mood disordersDeborah M Weisbrot
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Putnam Hall South Campus, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11790 8794, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 11:649-71, xi. 2002..This article is intended to heighten clinician awareness of the complex relationship between mood disorders and aggression...