- National trends and outcomes for the surgical therapy of ileocolonic Crohn's disease: a population-based analysis of laparoscopic vs. open approachesKelly Lesperance
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1251-9. 2009..The laparoscopic approach to Crohn's disease has demonstrated benefits in several small series. We sought to examine its use and outcomes on a national level...
- The morbidity of Clostridium difficile infection after elective colonic resection-results from a national population databaseKelly Lesperance
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98433, USA
Am J Surg 201:141-8. 2011..Clostridium difficile (CD), a gram-positive rod bacterium, resides normally within the human colon. Antibiotic treatment alters normal colonic flora, potentiating abnormal overgrowth of CD...
- The significance of penetrating gluteal injuries: an analysis of the Operation Iraqi Freedom experienceKelly Lesperance
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Washington, USA
J Surg Educ 65:61-6. 2008..Although penetrating gluteal injuries rarely are life-threatening, the risk for concomitant injury to regional anatomic structures warrants additional evaluation. We analyzed factors affecting the management and outcomes of these injuries...
- Expanding use of emergency endovascular repair for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: disparities in outcomes from a nationwide perspectiveKelly Lesperance
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:1165-70; discussion 1170-1. 2008..We sought to examine the national trends in use and associated outcomes with EVAR...
- Resectional gastric bypass outcomes in active duty soldiers: a retrospective reviewLionel R Brounts
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 5:657-61. 2009..We report our experience with such patients undergoing open resectional gastric bypass...
- Early postoperative fever and the "routine" fever work-up: results of a prospective studyRichard Lesperance
Department of General Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington 98431, USA
J Surg Res 171:245-50. 2011..Fever in the postoperative period frequently results in a battery of diagnostic tests in search of an etiology. We sought to evaluate the incidence and utility of extensive postoperative fever evaluations in a teaching hospital setting...
- A simplified set of trauma triage criteria to safely reduce overtriage: a prospective studyRyan Lehmann
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA 98431 1100, USA
Arch Surg 144:853-8. 2009..Many trauma systems have adopted complex triage algorithms that are difficult to use and contain poorly validated variables...