Cheryl A Kerfeld
Affiliation: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Zarzycki J, Erbilgin O, Kerfeld C. Bioinformatic characterization of glycyl radical enzyme-associated bacterial microcompartments. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2015;81:8315-29 pubmed publisher..Understanding this plasticity of function within a single BMC family, including characterization of differences in permeability and assembly, can inform approaches to BMC bioengineering and the design of therapeutics. ..
- Gupta S, Guttman M, Leverenz R, Zhumadilova K, Pawlowski E, Petzold C, et al. Local and global structural drivers for the photoactivation of the orange carotenoid protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E5567-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide experimental evidence for an ensemble of local and global structural changes, upon activation of the OCP, that are essential for photoprotection. ..
- Leverenz R, Sutter M, Wilson A, Gupta S, Thurotte A, Bourcier de Carbon C, et al. PHOTOSYNTHESIS. A 12 Ã… carotenoid translocation in a photoswitch associated with cyanobacterial photoprotection. Science. 2015;348:1463-6 pubmed publisher..Our results identify the origin of the photochromic changes in the OCP triggered by light and reveal the structural determinants required for interaction with the light-harvesting antenna during photoprotection. ..
- Kerfeld C, Erbilgin O. Bacterial microcompartments and the modular construction of microbial metabolism. Trends Microbiol. 2015;23:22-34 pubmed publisher..Viewing BMCs as genetic, structural, functional, and evolutionary modules provides a framework for understanding both BMC-mediated metabolism and for adapting their architectures for applications in synthetic biology. ..
- Cai F, Bernstein S, Wilson S, Kerfeld C. Production and Characterization of Synthetic Carboxysome Shells with Incorporated Luminal Proteins. Plant Physiol. 2016;170:1868-77 pubmed publisher..This system will be especially useful for developing synthetic carboxysomes for plant engineering. ..
- Montgomery B, Lechno Yossef S, Kerfeld C. Interrelated modules in cyanobacterial photosynthesis: the carbon-concentrating mechanism, photorespiration, and light perception. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:2931-40 pubmed publisher..We probe this connection by investigating light inputs into the CCM and photorespiratory pathways in the chromatically acclimating cyanobacterium Fremyella diplosiphon. ..
- Gonzalez Esquer C, Smarda J, Rippka R, Axen S, Guglielmi G, Gugger M, et al. Cyanobacterial ultrastructure in light of genomic sequence data. Photosynth Res. 2016;129:147-57 pubmed publisher..This compilation of images and genome-level domain occurrence will prove useful for a variety of analyses of cyanobacterial sequence data and provides a guidebook to morphological features. ..
- Melnicki M, Leverenz R, Sutter M, LÃ³pez Igual R, Wilson A, Pawlowski E, et al. Structure, Diversity, and Evolution of a New Family of Soluble Carotenoid-Binding Proteins in Cyanobacteria. Mol Plant. 2016;9:1379-1394 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the HCPs are a new family of functionally diverse carotenoid-binding proteins found among ecophysiologically diverse cyanobacteria. ..
- Bao H, Melnicki M, Kerfeld C. Structure and functions of Orange Carotenoid Protein homologs in cyanobacteria. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2017;37:1-9 pubmed publisher..Distinct functions from the canonical OCP have been revealed for some of these paralogs by recent structural and functional studies. ..
- Sutter M, Greber B, Aussignargues C, Kerfeld C. Assembly principles and structure of a 6.5-MDa bacterial microcompartment shell. Science. 2017;356:1293-1297 pubmed publisher..Given the conservation among shell proteins of all bacterial microcompartments, these principles apply to functionally diverse organelles and can inform the design and engineering of shells with new functionalities. ..
- Zarzycki J, Kerfeld C. The crystal structures of the tri-functional Chloroflexus aurantiacus and bi-functional Rhodobacter sphaeroides malyl-CoA lyases and comparison with CitE-like superfamily enzymes and malate synthases. BMC Struct Biol. 2013;13:28 pubmed publisher..Further studies involving site-directed mutagenesis based on these structures may be required to solve this puzzling question. ..