Affiliation: Lankenau Institute for Medical Research
- Mutation in G6PD gene leads to loss of cellular control of protein glutathionylation: mechanism and implicationIraimoudi S Ayene
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, 100 Lancaster Avenue, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:123-35. 2008..The specific role of G6PD in the control of such global protein glutathionylation and Ku function was further demonstrated by reintroducing the G6PD gene into E89 (A1A) cells, which showed a normal phenotype...
- Glucose deprivation increases nuclear DNA repair protein Ku and resistance to radiation induced oxidative stress in human cancer cellsJie Li
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Cell Biochem Funct 27:93-101. 2009..The additional resistance caused by glucose deprivation in cancer cells has clinical significance since solid tumors are known to have low level of glucose due to diffusion limited blood supply and higher metabolic activity...
- Mutation in the glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase gene leads to inactivation of Ku DNA end binding during oxidative stressIraimoudi S Ayene
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:9929-35. 2002..In view of the rapidly escalating number of roles ascribed to Ku, these results may have widespread ramifications...
- Radiation response of cells during altered protein thiol redoxJohn E Biaglow
Department of Radiation Oncology and Biochemistry, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Radiat Res 159:484-94. 2003..The results also show that protein thiol status is a critical factor in cell survival after irradiation...
- Role of vicinal protein thiols in radiation and cytotoxic responsesJohn E Biaglow
Department of Biochemistry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Radiat Res 165:307-17. 2006..We conclude that radiation sensitivity and cell survival are dependent on vicinal thiol and GSH. In the former and latter cases, the protein thiols are also important...
- DNA strand breakage by bivalent metal ions and ionizing radiationIraimoudi S Ayene
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 83:195-210. 2007..To investigate mechanisms of DNA breakage via the interaction of bivalent metal ion, thiol reducing agent and ionizing radiation, in *OH scavenging abilities comparable to those in cells...
- Oxidative Pentose Cycle in Hypoxic Cancer Cell ResponseIRAIMOUDI AYENE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we will determine the mechanisms of redox modification- mediated hypoxic sensitization by determining its effect on DNA double strand breaks, DNA repair protein Kf, GSH detoxification and pro-apoptotic factors. ..