- Suicide prevalence in chemical dependency programs: preliminary data from a national sample, and an examination of risk factorsOtto Kausch
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 22:97-102. 2002..Thirty-eight percent of the sample had a comorbid mood disorder and 38% had a comorbid personality disorder. Risk factors relating to the potential for suicide in chemical dependency programs are discussed...
- Suicide attempts among veterans seeking treatment for pathological gamblingOtto Kausch
Louis Stokes VA Medical Center, Brecksville Division, Brecksville, OH 44141, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:1031-8. 2003..There has been no attempt in previous studies to identify the contributions of comorbid conditions, such as substance abuse, to the suicide attempts of pathological gamblers...
- Patterns of substance abuse among treatment-seeking pathological gamblersOtto Kausch
Louis Stokes Veterans Administration Medical Center, Brecksville Division Veterans Addiction Recovery Center VARC, 10000 Brecksville Rd, Brecksville, Ohio 44141, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 25:263-70. 2003..These factors have important implications for treatment and prevention of relapse, as well as for theories of addictions...
- Pathological gambling among elderly veteransOtto Kausch
Louis Stokes Veterans Administration Medical Center, Brecksville Division, Veterans Addiction Recovery Center, 10000 Brecksville Road, Brecksville, OH 44141, USA
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 17:13-9. 2004..They were equally likely as the younger cohort to carry a psychiatric diagnosis, and depression was the most common diagnosis...
- Lifetime histories of trauma among pathological gamblersOtto Kausch
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Addict 15:35-43. 2006..A history of trauma was associated with a greater relative frequency of suicide attempts and drug and alcohol dependence, more severe scores in measures of psychiatric distress, and limited effects on personality functioning...
- Cocaine abuse in the elderly: a series of three case reportsOtto Kausch
Department of Psychiatry, Case Western University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:562-5. 2002
- Irrational fear of AIDS associated with suicidal behaviorOtto Kausch
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 10:266-71. 2004..Although such cases are not common and suicidality among such patients is not common, it is helpful for clinicians to be aware of the potential risk for serious suicidal acts in patients who develop this irrational belief system...