Maria Jose Miguez
Affiliation: Kathleen D. Schaum and Associates
- The role of alcohol on platelets, thymus and cognitive performance among HIV-infected subjects: are they related?Maria Jose Miguez-Burbano
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Florida International University, Miami, FL, USA
Platelets 20:260-7. 2009..06). Thymus volume and platelet counts were negatively affected by alcohol and were predictors of cognitive performance and improvements after HAART. These results could have important clinical and therapeutic implications...
- Cognitive performance and the thymus among HIV-infected subjects receiving HAARTMaria J Miguez-Burbano
Robert Stempel School of public Health and School of Medicine, Florida International University, Miami, FL, USA
Biologics 2:321-7. 2008....
- The influence of different types of alcoholic beverages on disrupting highly active antiretroviral treatment (HAART) outcomeMaria Jose Miguez-Burbano
Florida International University, 13313 Kingsbury Drive, Wellington, FL 33414, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 44:366-71. 2009..Discrepant findings may be related to confounding variables, including gender, patterns of alcohol abuse and type of alcohol beverage beyond the amount consumed...
- Low cholesterol? Don't brag yet ... hypocholesterolemia blunts HAART effectiveness: a longitudinal studyMaria Jose Miguez
Institute of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, Florida International University College of Medicine, Miami, USA
J Int AIDS Soc 13:25. 2010..In vitro studies suggest that reducing cholesterol inhibits HIV replication. However, this effect may not hold in vivo, where other factors, such as cholesterol's immunomodulatory properties, may interact...
- Interleukin-6 and platelet protagonists in T lymphocyte and virological responseMaria Jose Miguez
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Disease Prevention, University of Miami, School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Platelets 16:281-6. 2005..In thrombocytopenic individuals, the latter was associated with the poorest immunological and virological responses...
- Massage treatment in HIV-1 infected Dominican children: a preliminary report on the efficacy of massage therapy to preserve the immune system in children without antiretroviral medicationGail Shor-Posner
Division of Disease Prevention, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL
J Altern Complement Med 10:1093-5. 2004..No studies have been conducted, however, that specifically target massage therapy to enhance immune function in HIV+ children...
- Impact of selenium status on the pathogenesis of mycobacterial disease in HIV-1-infected drug users during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyGail Shor-Posner
Division of Disease Prevention, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:169-73. 2002..015); these findings suggest that selenium status may have a profound impact on the pathogenesis of mycobacterial disease...
- Hypocalcaemia, alcohol drinking and viroimmune responses in ART recipientsMaria Jose Miguez
School of Integrated Science and Humanity, Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th Street DM 445B, Miami, FL 33199, USA
Alcohol 46:763-8. 2012..This paper provides the first evidence that hypoCa accounts for some of the variation in viroimmune measures in HAART recipients and suggests that hypoCa may be mediating alcohol's deleterious effects...
- Cognitive behavioral HIV risk reduction in those receiving psychiatric treatment: a clinical trialRobert M Malow
Florida International University, Biscayne Bay Campus, 3000 NE 151 St, AC1 260, Miami, FL 33191, USA
AIDS Behav 16:1192-202. 2012..However, meaningful changes in critical risk reduction skills and intentions may require a more focused intervention and may vary by gender...
- HIV treatment in drug abusers: impact of alcohol useMaria Jose Miguez
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Addict Biol 8:33-7. 2003..2 - 17, p = 0.04). Alcohol consumption is prevalent in our HIV-1 infected drug user cohort and significantly impacts both immunological and virological response to HAART treatment...
- Impact of a massage therapy clinical trial on immune status in young Dominican children infected with HIV-1Gail Shor-Posner
Division of Disease Prevention, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:511-6. 2006..The effectiveness of massage therapy on immune parameters was evaluated in young Dominican HIV+ children without current access to antiretroviral therapies...
- The importance of HIV status and gender when designing prevention strategies for anal cancerMaria Jose Miguez
School of Integrated Sciences and Humanity, Florida International University, Miami, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 22:454-64. 2011..Therefore, we will review existing information on how HIV status and gender may affect the manifestation of HPV, particularly focusing on epidemiology, screening, and treatment issues...
- HIV knowledge and risk behaviors among women in law enforcement in Bogota, Colombia: potential role as community educatorsMaria Jose Miguez-Burbano
Division of Disease Prevention, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1400 Northwest 10th Avenue, 6th Floor, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Urban Health 82:iv43-57. 2005..Because of their professional role in the community, training for LEW in HIV/AIDS education/prevention programs should be considered...