Ernest L Mazzaferri
Affiliation: Kathleen D. Schaum and Associates
- Is diagnostic iodine-131 scanning with recombinant human TSH useful in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid cancer after thyroid ablation?Ernest L Mazzaferri
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville 32608 4653, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1490-8. 2002..An elevated rhTSH-stimulated Tg greater than 2 ng/ml warrants further study...
- Management of low-risk differentiated thyroid cancerErnest L Mazzaferri
The Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32608 4653, USA
Endocr Pract 13:498-512. 2007....
- Management of papillary and follicular (differentiated) thyroid cancer: new paradigms using recombinant human thyrotropinE L Mazzaferri
Adjunct Professor of Medicine, University of Florida, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 9:227-47. 2002....
- A single recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated serum thyroglobulin measurement predicts differentiated thyroid carcinoma metastases three to five years laterRichard T Kloos
Division of Endocrinology, Shands Hospital, 1600 SW Archer Road, P O Box 100226, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0226, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5047-57. 2005..Testing for residual differentiated thyroid carcinoma relies heavily upon recombinant human (rh)TSH-stimulated serum thyroglobulin (Tg) levels, but the positive predictive value is often low...
- External beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancerKenyon M Meadows
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 27:24-8. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) for differentiated thyroid carcinomas...
- Using recombinant human TSH in the management of well-differentiated thyroid cancer: current strategies and future directionsE L Mazzaferri
Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Thyroid 10:767-78. 2000..Formal clinical investigations now planned to provide guidelines for the use of rhTSH for therapeutic 131I portend a new set of effective therapeutic paradigms for the management of differentiated thyroid cancer...
- Gonadal damage from 131I therapy for thyroid cancerErnest L Mazzaferri
Division of Endocrinology, Shands Hospital, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:313-4. 2002
- A consensus report of the role of serum thyroglobulin as a monitoring method for low-risk patients with papillary thyroid carcinomaE L Mazzaferri
Division of Endocrinology, Shands Hospital, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1433-41. 2003....
- Empirically treating high serum thyroglobulin levelsErnest L Mazzaferri
University of Florida Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Nucl Med 46:1079-88. 2005
- The therapeutic management of differentiated thyroid cancerJENNIFER A SIPOS
University of Florida, 1600 Archer Road, PO Box 100226, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:2627-37. 2008..The treatment of these tumors rests on a fine balance of providing care that reflects the anticipated course of the disease without overtreating the patient or providing reassurance that is unfounded...
- What is the optimal initial treatment of low-risk papillary thyroid cancer (and why is it controversial)?Ernest L Mazzaferri
The Ohio State University, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 23:579-88. 2009..The natural history of papillary cancer is such that patients who achieve disease-free status after total thyroidectomy and radioiodine therapy usually achieve normal life expectancy...
- Should all patients with subcentimeter thyroid nodules undergo fine-needle aspiration biopsy and preoperative neck ultrasonography to define the extent of tumor invasion?Ernest L Mazzaferri
Medicine, Ohio State University, Division of Endocrinology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Thyroid 18:597-602. 2008..Decisions involving the management of patients with papillary microcarcinoma are complex. Here we review and consider the literature in this area including two studies published in this issue of Thyroid...
- Percutaneous left ventricular partitioning in patients with chronic heart failure and a prior anterior myocardial infarction: Results of the PercutAneous Ventricular RestorAtion in Chronic Heart failUre PaTiEnts TrialErnest L Mazzaferri
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, The Ohio State University Heart and Vascular Center, 473 West 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210 1252, USA
Am Heart J 163:812-820.e1. 2012..The aim of this study was to assess the feasibility, safety, and preliminary efficacy of a novel percutaneous left ventricular partitioning device (VPD) in patients with chronic heart failure (HF) and a prior anterior myocardial infarction...
- Approach to the pregnant patient with thyroid cancerErnest L Mazzaferri
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:265-72. 2011..There is concern about therapy for thyroid cancer during this period, including the timing of surgery, the use of levothyroxine, and the assessment of follow-up during gestation...
- Cardiac magnetic resonance with edema imaging identifies myocardium at risk and predicts worse outcome in patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromeSubha V Raman
Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 55:2480-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to define the prevalence and significance of myocardial edema in patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (NSTE-ACS)...
- Percutaneous ventricular restoration using the parachute device in patients with ischemic heart failure: three-year outcomes of the PARACHUTE first-in-human studyMarco A Costa
From the Center for Research and Innovation Harrington Heart and Vascular Institute University Hospitals, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH M A C Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH E L M, W T A CardioVascular Center, Frankfurt, Germany H S
Circ Heart Fail 7:752-8. 2014..A study was conducted to assess safety and feasibility of a percutaneous ventricular restoration therapy using the Parachute device in subjects with HF because of a cardiac ischemic event...
- Managing thyroid microcarcinomasErnest L Mazzaferri
Division of Endocrinology, Shands Hospital, University of Florida, 4020 SW, 9rd Drive, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Yonsei Med J 53:1-14. 2012..The aim of this review is to summarize the clinical features of PTMC and identify the widely differing opinions concerning the diagnosis and management of these small ubiquitous thyroid tumors...
- The impact of assessing specimen adequacy and number of needle passes for fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodulesRachel Redman
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0275, USA
Thyroid 16:55-60. 2006..We believe this is a goal that training programs should strive to achieve...
- Diagnosis and management of medullary thyroid carcinomaNicole Massoll
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, PO Box 100275, Gainesville, FL 32610 0275, USA
Clin Lab Med 24:49-83. 2004..Moreover, new treatments for widespread MTC are necessary because current chemotherapy agents offer little benefit. New drugs that lock the action of tyrosine kinase offer some hope...
- Application of the Cre/loxP system to enhance thyroid-targeted expression of sodium/iodide symporterXiaoqin Lin
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2344-50. 2004..Finally, Tg promoter activity was partially restored in malignant thyroid cells by forced expression of the paired domain-containing transcription factor (Pax-8), allowing the Cre/loxP system to mildly enhance radioiodide uptake...
- Changing paradigms in the follow-up of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: an alternative to [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomographic scanningErnest L Mazzaferri
Endocr Pract 9:324-6. 2003
- Expanding indications for recombinant human TSH in thyroid cancerBryan R Haugen
Thyroid 18:687-94. 2008
- A comparison of short-term changes in health-related quality of life in thyroid carcinoma patients undergoing diagnostic evaluation with recombinant human thyrotropin compared with thyroid hormone withdrawalPamela R Schroeder
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 1830 East Monument Street, Suite 333, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:878-84. 2006..Levothyroxine (L-T4) withdrawal for thyroglobulin measurement and whole body scanning increases these tests' sensitivities but causes hypothyroidism. Recombinant human TSH (rhTSH) enables testing without L-T4 withdrawal...
- Managing small thyroid cancersErnest L Mazzaferri
JAMA 295:2179-82. 2006
- Thyroid cancer in thyroglossal duct remnants: a diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmaErnest L Mazzaferri
Thyroid 14:335-6. 2004
- Training, credentialing and re-credentialing for the performance of a thyroid FNA: a synopsis of the National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of the Science ConferenceBritt Marie E Ljung
Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 1785, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 36:400-6. 2008..http://thyroidfna.cancer.gov/pages/info/agenda/)..
- Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancerDavid S Cooper
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, MD, USA
Thyroid 16:109-42. 2006