Michele J Karel
- Using a Values Discussion Guide to facilitate communication in advance care planningMichele J Karel
VA Boston Healthcare System and Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, VA Medical Center 3 5 C, 940 Belmont Street, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
Patient Educ Couns 55:22-31. 2004..A VDG appears a useful tool in a repertoire of advance care planning tools, which need to be geared towards the needs and abilities of particular patients and families...
- Capacity to consent to treatment: empirical comparison of three instruments in older adults with and without dementiaJennifer Moye
Boston VA Healthcare System, Brockton VA Medical Center, 940 Belmont Street, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
Gerontologist 44:166-75. 2004..The purpose of this study was to compare adults with and without dementia on capacities to consent to treatment as assessed by three instruments...
- Reasoning in the capacity to make medical decisions: the consideration of valuesMichele J Karel
Mental Health Service, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, USA
J Clin Ethics 21:58-71. 2010..To examine the contribution of "values-based reasoning" in evaluating older adults' capacity to make medical decisions...
- Empirical advances in the assessment of the capacity to consent to medical treatment: clinical implications and research needsJennifer Moye
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston VA Healthcare System, MA 02301, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 26:1054-77. 2006....
- Neuropsychological predictors of decision-making capacity over 9 months in mild-to-moderate dementiaJennifer Moye
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and Mental Health Service Line, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02301, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:78-83. 2006..Older adults with dementia may have diminished capacity to make medical treatment decisions...
- Agreement between instruments for rating treatment decisional capacityRonald J Gurrera
Mental Health Service, VA Boston Healthcare System, Harvard Medical School Department of Psychiatry, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:168-73. 2007..The objective of this study was to measure agreement between three treatment decisional capacity assessment instruments in mild to moderate dementia...
- Aging and mental health in the decade ahead: what psychologists need to knowMichele J Karel
Psychology Service, VA Boston Healthcare System, Brockton, Massachusetts, USA
Am Psychol 67:184-98. 2012..Policy advocacy for geropsychology clinical services, education, and research remains critical. Psychologists have much to offer an aging society...
- Three methods of assessing values for advance care planning: comparing persons with and without dementiaMichele J Karel
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 940 Belmont Street, Brockton, MA 02301, USA
J Aging Health 19:123-51. 2007..Although values assessment methods show promise, further item and scale development work is needed. Older adults with dementia should be included in clarifying values for advance care planning to the extent that they desire and are able...
- Development of a tool to evaluate geropsychology knowledge and skill competenciesMichele J Karel
VA Boston Healthcare System and Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Brockton, MA 02301, U S A
Int Psychogeriatr 22:886-96. 2010....
- Geropsychology training in a VA nursing home settingMichele J Karel
VA Boston Healthcare System, MA, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 25:83-107. 2005..The VA healthcare system allows great flexibility for psychologists to both provide psychological services and training in the nursing home setting...