V P Quinn
Affiliation: Kaiser Permanente
- Impact of type 2 diabetes on lower urinary tract symptoms in men: a cohort studyStephen K Van Den Eeden
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
BMC Urol 13:12. 2013..Studies of the impact of type 2 diabetes on the prevalence and incidence of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) among men have provided divergent results. We sought to examine this issue using two large and diverse cohorts...
- Preventive care and health behaviors among overweight/obese men in HMOsVirginia P Quinn
Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Research and Evaluation, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Am J Manag Care 18:25-32. 2012....
- Webinar Training: an acceptable, feasible and effective approach for multi-site medical record abstraction: the BOWII experienceChantal C Avila
Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Research and Evaluation, Pasadena, CA, USA
BMC Res Notes 4:430. 2011..abstract:..
- Generational status and duration of residence predict diabetes prevalence among Latinos: the California Men's Health StudyAmeena T Ahmed
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, USA
BMC Public Health 9:392. 2009..This study examined how generational status, duration of US residence, and language preference are associated with diabetes prevalence and to what extent these explain the higher prevalence among Latinos...
- Effectiveness of the 5-As tobacco cessation treatments in nine HMOsVirginia P Quinn
Research and Evaluation Department, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 So Los Robles Ave, 2nd Fl, Pasadena, CA 91188, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:149-54. 2009..The national clinical guideline recommends an intervention for tobacco use known as the 5-As (Ask, Advise, Assess, Assist, and Arrange). Little is known about the model's effectiveness outside the research setting...
- Tobacco-cessation services and patient satisfaction in nine nonprofit HMOsVirginia P Quinn
Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Research and Evaluation Department, Pasadena, California 91188, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:77-84. 2005..There is little information on the extent of compliance with the guideline's treatment model described by the "5A's" (Ask, Advise, Assess, Assist, Arrange)...
- Pneumococcal vaccination and risk of acute myocardial infarction and stroke in menHung Fu Tseng
Department of Research and Evaluation, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Kaiser Permanente, 100 S Los Robles Ave, Second Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
JAMA 303:1699-706. 2010..Multiple studies have shown that preventing influenza by vaccination reduces the risk of vascular events. However, the effect of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine on vascular events remains controversial...
- Red wine consumption not associated with reduced risk of colorectal cancerChun Chao
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 S Los Robles Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Nutr Cancer 62:849-55. 2010..Moderate red wine consumption was not associated with reduced risk of colorectal cancer in this population of middle-aged men...
- Body weight and height data in electronic medical records of childrenNing Smith
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, CA, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 5:237-42. 2010..To address this issue, we evaluated the quality of body weight and height measures for children based on sequential health care encounters...
- Correlates of prostate-specific antigen testing in a large multiethnic cohortReina Haque
Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Am J Manag Care 15:793-9. 2009..To examine factors associated with prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing in the multiethnic California Men's Health Study...
- Red wine consumption and risk of prostate cancer: the California men's health studyChun Chao
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Int J Cancer 126:171-9. 2010..16 (0.83-1.63). Neither red wine nor total alcohol consumption were associated with prostate cancer risk in this population of moderate drinkers...
- Trends in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease-related hospitalizations in US children, adolescents, and young adultsCorinna Koebnick
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 Los Robles, 2nd Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48:597-603. 2009..To investigate temporal trends of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and obesity among hospitalized US children, adolescents, and young adults over the past 2 decades and to examine potential sex disparities in NAFLD hospitalizations...
- Prevalence of extreme obesity in a multiethnic cohort of children and adolescentsCorinna Koebnick
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
J Pediatr 157:26-31.e2. 2010..To estimate the prevalence of extreme obesity in a large, multiethnic contemporary cohort of children and adolescents...
- Alcoholic beverage intake and risk of lung cancer: the California Men's Health StudyChun Chao
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 South Los Robles Avenue, Suite 201, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2692-9. 2008..We investigated the effect of alcoholic beverage consumption on the risk of lung cancer using the California Men's Health Study...
- The burden of rhinitis in a managed care organizationMichael Schatz
Department of Allergy, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, San Diego, California 92111, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 101:240-7. 2008..Rhinitis is a common health condition, but the extent of the burden in managed care organizations (MCOs) has not been well described...
- Asthma costs and utilization in a managed care organizationRobert S Zeiger
Department of Allergy, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, 7060 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:885-92.e5. 2008..Medical costs and health care utilization associated with asthma and the variation by treatment are poorly understood...
- Correlates of screening sigmoidoscopy use among men in a large nonprofit health planReina Haque
Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Pasadena, California 91101, USA
Cancer 110:275-81. 2007..The authors examined factors associated with screening sigmoidoscopy use among participants in the California Men's Health Study (CMHS)...
- Tobacco control efforts in managed care: what do the doctors think?Leif I Solberg
HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minneapolis, Minn 55440 1524, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:193-8. 2004....
- Tobacco-control policies in 11 leading managed care organizations: progress and challengesNancy A Rigotti
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston 02114, USA
Eff Clin Pract 5:130-6. 2002..Although evidence-based national guidelines for tobacco-dependence treatment have been available since 1996, translating these guidelines into clinical practice is challenging...
- Statin use and risk of prostate cancer in the California Men's Health Study cohortE Dawn Flick
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, 2000 Broadway, 5th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2218-25. 2007..Our findings suggest that long-term statin use might be associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer but perhaps only among regular nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug users...
- Receipt of appropriate primary breast cancer therapy and adjuvant therapy are not associated with obesity in older women with access to health careDiana S M Buist
Group Health Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:3428-36. 2007..The purpose of this study was to examine the association between BMI at breast cancer diagnosis and receipt of appropriate primary tumor therapy and adjuvant therapy...
- Using probabilistic corrections to account for abstractor agreement in medical record reviewsTimothy L Lash
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:1454-61. 2007..While many investigators use reliability data only as a metric for data quality, a more thorough approach can also quantitatively depict the uncertainty in the observed associations...
- Recruiting pregnant smokers into a clinical trial: using a network-model managed care organization versus community-based practicesElyse R Park
Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Prev Med 44:223-9. 2007..This paper reports the results of utilizing this novel approach and compares it with a typical decentralized practice-based recruitment strategy...
- Under utilization of surveillance mammography among older breast cancer survivorsTerry S Field
Meyers Primary Care Institute, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:158-63. 2008..Annual surveillance mammography is recommended for follow-up of women with a history of breast cancer. We examined surveillance mammography among breast cancer survivors who were enrolled in integrated healthcare systems...
- Does methodology affect the ability to monitor tobacco control activities? implications for HEDIS and other performance measuresLeif I Solberg
HealthPartners Research Foundation, Minneapolis, MN 55440 1524, USA
Prev Med 37:33-40. 2003..It is unclear whether methodological differences in sample size, survey methods, and analysis approach significantly affect the ability to accurately monitor tobacco control activities and to make rate comparisons...
- Mammography surveillance and mortality in older breast cancer survivorsTimothy L Lash
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:3001-6. 2007..Our purpose is to estimate the effectiveness of surveillance mammography in a cohort of breast cancer survivors with complete ascertainment of surveillance mammograms and negligible losses to follow-up...
- PRENATAL SMOKING CESSATION RELAPSE PREVENTION TRIALVirginia Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2001....