Affiliation: Kaiser Permanente
- Intra-hospital transfers to a higher level of care: contribution to total hospital and intensive care unit (ICU) mortality and length of stay (LOS)Gabriel J Escobar
Hospital Operations Research, Division of Research, Oakland, California, USA
J Hosp Med 6:74-80. 2011..However, these findings have been based on single-center studies or studies that employ ICU admissions as the denominator...
- Frequency, duration and predictors of bronchiolitis episodes of care among infants ≥32 weeks gestation in a large integrated healthcare system: a retrospective cohort studyValerie J Flaherman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, 3333 California St, Box 0503, San Francisco, CA 94143 0503, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:144. 2012..No previous studies have used an episode-of-care analysis to describe the frequency, duration, and predictors of bronchiolitis episodes of care during the first two years...
- Effect of choice of estimation method on inter-hospital mortality rate comparisonsPatricia Kipnis
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Management, Information and Analysis, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Med Care 48:458-65. 2010..To evaluate and compare the use of 6 different methods for calculating expected mortality rates and standardized mortality ratios (SMRs) when performing interhospital mortality rate comparisons...
- Risk-adjusting hospital inpatient mortality using automated inpatient, outpatient, and laboratory databasesGabriel J Escobar
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Systems Research Initiative and Perinatal Research Unit, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Med Care 46:232-9. 2008..To develop a risk-adjustment methodology that maximizes the use of automated physiology and diagnosis data from the time period preceding hospitalization...
- Persistent recurring wheezing in the fifth year of life after laboratory-confirmed, medically attended respiratory syncytial virus infection in infancyGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Perinatal Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, CA, USA
BMC Pediatr 13:97. 2013..Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection in infancy is associated with subsequent recurrent wheezing...
- Risk-adjusting hospital mortality using a comprehensive electronic record in an integrated health care delivery systemGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Med Care 51:446-53. 2013....
- An electronic Simplified Acute Physiology Score-based risk adjustment score for critical illness in an integrated healthcare systemVincent Liu
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and Systems Research Initiative, Oakland, CA, USA
Crit Care Med 41:41-8. 2013..We sought to create an automated ICU risk adjustment score, based on the Simplified Acute Physiology Score 3, using only data available within the electronic medical record (Kaiser Permanente HealthConnect)...
- Early detection of impending physiologic deterioration among patients who are not in intensive care: development of predictive models using data from an automated electronic medical recordGabriel J Escobar
Hospital Operations Research, Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, California 94612, USA
J Hosp Med 7:388-95. 2012..Ward patients who experience unplanned transfer to intensive care units have excess morbidity and mortality...
- The association between sepsis and potential medical injury among hospitalized patientsVincent Liu
Division of Research and Systems Research Initiative, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA, USA
Chest 142:606-13. 2012..Patient safety remains a national priority, but the role of disease-specific characteristics in safety is not well characterized...
- Recurrent wheezing in the third year of life among children born at 32 weeks' gestation or later: relationship to laboratory-confirmed, medically attended infection with respiratory syncytial virus during the first year of lifeGabriel J Escobar
Division of Research, Systems Research Initiative and Perinatal Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:915-22. 2010..To quantify the relationship between recurrent wheezing (RW) in the third year of life and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection, prematurity, and neonatal oxygen exposure...
- Risk adjusting community-acquired pneumonia hospital outcomes using automated databasesGabriel J Escobar
Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program, 2000 Broadway, 2nd Fl, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:158-66. 2008....