Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Zhang Y, Permar S, Sun Z. Conditions that may affect the results of susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to pyrazinamide. J Med Microbiol. 2002;51:42-9 pubmed..8, with an MIC of 400 mg/L compared with 1,000 mg/L without reserpine. These findings should have implications for understanding the mode of action of PZA and for PZA susceptibility testing. ..
- Zhang S, Chen J, Cui P, Shi W, Shi X, Niu H, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Mutations Associated with Reduced Susceptibility to Linezolid. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2542-4 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide useful information for the rapid detection of LZD resistance for improved treatment of MDR-TB. ..
- Niu H, Cui P, Shi W, Zhang S, Feng J, Wang Y, et al. Identification of Anti-Persister Activity against Uropathogenic Escherichia coli from a Clinical Drug Library. Antibiotics (Basel). 2015;4:179-87 pubmed publisher..coli persisters in 3 days in vitro while the current UTI antibiotics failed to do so. Our findings may have implications for the development of a more effective treatment for UTIs. ..
- Niu H, Cui P, Yee R, Shi W, Zhang S, Feng J, et al. A Clinical Drug Library Screen Identifies Tosufloxacin as Being Highly Active against Staphylococcus aureus Persisters. Antibiotics (Basel). 2015;4:329-36 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to evaluate tosufloxacin in animal models and to explain its unique activity against bacterial persisters. Our findings may have implications for improved treatment of persistent bacterial infections. ..
- Yee R, Cui P, Shi W, Feng J, Zhang Y. Genetic Screen Reveals the Role of Purine Metabolism in Staphylococcus aureus Persistence to Rifampicin. Antibiotics (Basel). 2015;4:627-42 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the mechanisms of persistence in S. aureus and provide novel therapeutic targets for developing more effective treatment for persistent infections due to S. aureus. ..
- Zhang S, Chen J, Cui P, Shi W, Zhang W, Zhang Y. Identification of novel mutations associated with clofazimine resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:2507-10 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to address the role of rv1979c and rv2535c in clofazimine resistance and mechanisms of action. ..
- He L, Wang X, Cui P, Jin J, Chen J, Zhang W, et al. ubiA (Rv3806c) encoding DPPR synthase involved in cell wall synthesis is associated with ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2015;95:149-54 pubmed publisher..The essentiality of UbiA, its involvement in EMB resistance, and lack of human homologs make UbiA an attractive target for new drug development. ..
- Zhang J, Zhang B, Zhao Y, Yang X, Huang M, Cui P, et al. Snapshots of catalysis: Structure of covalently bound substrate trapped in Mycobacterium tuberculosis thiazole synthase (ThiG). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;497:214-219 pubmed publisher..Our research will provide useful information for understanding the ThiG function and lay the basis for future drug design by targeting this essential protein. ..
- Feng J, Weitner M, Shi W, Zhang S, Sullivan D, Zhang Y. Identification of Additional Anti-Persister Activity against Borrelia burgdorferi from an FDA Drug Library. Antibiotics (Basel). 2015;4:397-410 pubmed publisher..These studies may have implications for developing more effective treatments of Lyme disease. ..
- Feng J, Zhang S, Shi W, Zhang Y. Activity of Sulfa Drugs and Their Combinations against Stationary Phase B. burgdorferi In Vitro. Antibiotics (Basel). 2017;6: pubmed publisher..burgdorferi stationary phase cells. Future studies are needed to evaluate and optimize the sulfa drug combinations in vitro and also in animal models. ..
- Zhang Y, Yew W. Mechanisms of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2009;13:1320-30 pubmed..Understanding the mechanisms of drug resistance in M. tuberculosis would enable the development of rapid molecular diagnostic tools and furnish possible insights into new drug development for the treatment of TB. ..
- Niu H, Yee R, Cui P, Tian L, Zhang S, Shi W, et al. Identification of Agents Active against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA300 from a Clinical Compound Library. Pathogens. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..We ranked these new drug candidates according to their MICs against the MRSA strain USA300. Our findings may have implications for more effective treatment of MRSA infections. ..
- Yuan Y, You Y, Wen Y, Liu J, Li H, Zhang Y, et al. Identification of novel genetic loci GAL3ST4 and CHGB involved in susceptibility to leprosy. Sci Rep. 2017;7:16352 pubmed publisher..The results showed that the female subjects with high frequent genotype in GAL3ST4 had a fivefold elevated expression. We suggest the polymorphisms in GAL3ST4 in different population are associated with increased risk of leprosy. ..