Stephen M Sozio
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Cerebrovascular disease incidence, characteristics, and outcomes in patients initiating dialysis: the choices for healthy outcomes in caring for ESRD (CHOICE) studyStephen M Sozio
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 54:468-77. 2009....
- Inflammatory markers and risk of cerebrovascular events in patients initiating dialysisStephen M Sozio
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1292-300. 2011..Stroke remains a leading cause of morbidity and mortality for patients on dialysis; however, its risk factors in this population and measures to prevent it are not well understood...
- Trends in anemia management in US hemodialysis patients 2004-2010Dana C Miskulin
Division of Nephrology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Nephrol 14:264. 2013..There have been major changes in the management of anemia in US hemodialysis patients in recent years. We sought to determine the influence of clinical trial results, safety regulations, and changes in reimbursement policy on practice...
- Urinary sodium is a potent correlate of proteinuria: lessons from the chronic renal insufficiency cohort studyMatthew R Weir
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Nephrol 36:397-404. 2012....
- Predialysis health, dialysis timing, and outcomes among older United States adultsDeidra C Crews
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine
J Am Soc Nephrol 25:370-9. 2014..These findings do not support the common practice of early dialysis initiation in the United States. ..
- Serum fructosamine and glycated albumin and risk of mortality and clinical outcomes in hemodialysis patientsTariq Shafi
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 36:1522-33. 2013..However, their relationship with long-term outcomes in dialysis patients is not well described...
- Peripheral vascular disease-related procedures in dialysis patients: predictors and prognosisLaura C Plantinga
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital and University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1637-45. 2009..Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) is prevalent among dialysis patients, and many dialysis patients undergo PVD-related procedures. We aimed to examine the risk factors for and prognosis after such procedures in the dialysis setting...
- Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease studyL Ebony Boulware
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2024 E, Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Nephrol 13:167. 2012..Evidence is lacking to inform providers' and patients' decisions about many common treatment strategies for patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Inflammation and the paradox of racial differences in dialysis survivalDeidra C Crews
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 301 Mason F Lord Drive, Suite 2500, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:2279-86. 2011..In summary, racial differences in survival among dialysis patients are not present at low levels of inflammation but are large at higher levels. Differences in inflammation may explain, in part, the racial paradox of ESRD survival...
- Steroid avoidance in liver transplantation: meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomized trialsDorry L Segev
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Liver Transpl 14:512-25. 2008..We believe that a large, multicenter trial will better define the role of steroid-free regimens in LT...
- Combined prednisone and mycophenolate mofetil treatment for retroperitoneal fibrosis: a case seriesPaul J Scheel
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:31-6. 2011..Small case series suggest that a combination of mycophenolate mofetil and prednisone may be an effective treatment for patients with retroperitoneal fibrosis...
- Plant protein intake is associated with fibroblast growth factor 23 and serum bicarbonate levels in patients with chronic kidney disease: the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort studyJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Ren Nutr 22:379-388.e1. 2012..Protein from plant, as opposed to animal, sources may be preferred in chronic kidney disease (CKD) because of the lower bioavailability of phosphate and lower nonvolatile acid load...
- Hemodynamic correlates of proteinuria in chronic kidney diseaseMatthew R Weir
Division of Nephrology, University of Maryland School of Medicine Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2403-10. 2011..Whether central measures of BP or vascular stiffness are associated with increased risk of proteinuria in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) is unknown...