A G Shaikh
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- 'Staircase' square-wave jerks in early Parkinson's diseaseAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, 600 North Wolfe Street, Path 2 210, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 95:705-9. 2011..Visually guided saccades and gaze-fixation ability were recorded in patients with early Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Hypothetical membrane mechanisms in essential tremorAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Transl Med 6:68. 2008..Such instability is enhanced by increased neural membrane excitability and the circuit begins to oscillate. These oscillations manifest as tremor...
- Gaze fixation deficits and their implication in ataxia-telangiectasiaA G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:858-64. 2009..Unstable fixation often leads to difficulty reading and blurred vision. Here we characterise the disturbance of visual fixation in A-T...
- A new familial disease of saccadic oscillations and limb tremor provides clues to mechanisms of common tremor disordersAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Brain 130:3020-31. 2007....
- Saccadic burst cell membrane dysfunction is responsible for saccadic oscillationsAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 28:329-36. 2008..Our simulations suggest that alterations in membrane properties that lead to an increase in PIR, a reduction in external glycinergic inhibition, or both can cause saccadic oscillations...
- Sustained eye closure slows saccadesAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, United States
Vision Res 50:1665-75. 2010..These results indicate a role for OPNs in generating the abrupt onset and high velocities of saccades. We hypothesize that the mechanism involved is PIR in pre-motor burst neurons...
- Pseudonystagmus--clinical features and quantitative characteristicsAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, 600 North Wolfe Street, Pathology 2 210, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Nat Rev Neurol 6:519-23. 2010..This case highlights the fact that in patients with pseudonystagmus, oscillopsia is attributable to the association of head tremor and vestibular hypofunction...
- Oculopalatal tremor explained by a model of inferior olivary hypertrophy and cerebellar plasticityAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Brain 133:923-40. 2010..We conclude that oculopalatal tremor oscillations originate in the hypertrophic inferior olive and are amplified by learning in the cerebellum...
- Irregularity distinguishes limb tremor in cervical dystonia from essential tremorA G Shaikh
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Pathology 2 210, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:187-9. 2008..Whether a common central mechanism underlies the tremor in these conditions is unknown. We addressed this issue by quantifying limb tremor in 19 patients with CD and 35 patients with ET...
- Neurons compute internal models of the physical laws of motionDora E Angelaki
Department of Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Nature 430:560-4. 2004..We show that the firing rates of these populations of neurons reflect the computations necessary to construct an internal model representation of the physical equations of motion...
- Think membranes and ion channelsDavid S Zee
Curr Opin Neurol 21:1-2. 2008
- Sensory vestibular contributions to constructing internal models of self-motionAndrea M Green
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, Box 8108, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Neural Eng 2:S164-79. 2005....
- Excitability of auditory brainstem neurons, in vivo, is increased by cyclic-AMPAasef G Shaikh
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Hear Res 201:70-80. 2005..Based on these findings, we propose that the second messenger, cAMP, can significantly modulate neural excitability and spontaneous discharge in SOC neurons, principally by shifting the activation of Ih channels...
- Multiple reference frames for motion in the primate cerebellumAasef G Shaikh
Department of Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 24:4491-7. 2004..This differential representation of motion-related information implies potential differences in the functional roles of these areas...
- Hyperpolarization-activated (I(h)) conductances affect brainstem auditory neuron excitabilityAasef G Shaikh
Department of Otolaryngology, Wayne State University, 550 E Canfield Avenue, Rm 327, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Hear Res 183:126-36. 2003..The variability in the ZD7288 reduction in excitability and its variation with the BF of units could be an indication of regulation and plasticity in neuronal encoding of sounds...