Julia J Scialla
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Soluble P-selectin levels are associated with cardiovascular mortality and sudden cardiac death in male dialysis patientsJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Nephrol 33:224-30. 2011..P-selectin is released by activated platelets and endothelium contributing to inflammation and thrombosis. We evaluated the association between soluble P-selectin and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) in dialysis patients...
- Estimated net endogenous acid production and serum bicarbonate in African Americans with chronic kidney diseaseJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1526-32. 2011..We tested the association between estimated NEAP and serum bicarbonate in patients with CKD...
- Net endogenous acid production is associated with a faster decline in GFR in African AmericansJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Kidney Int 82:106-12. 2012..10) for composite renal events per 25 mEq/day higher net endogenous acid production was not significant. Hence, our findings implicate endogenous acid production as a potential modifiable risk factor for progressive kidney disease...
- Mineral metabolites and CKD progression in African AmericansJulia J Scialla
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 24:125-35. 2013..In conclusion, abnormalities of mineral metabolism worsen with progressive CKD and associate with higher risk for ESRD among African Americans with hypertensive nephrosclerosis...
- Plant protein intake is associated with fibroblast growth factor 23 and serum bicarbonate levels in patients with chronic kidney disease: the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort studyJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Ren Nutr 22:379-388.e1. 2012..Protein from plant, as opposed to animal, sources may be preferred in chronic kidney disease (CKD) because of the lower bioavailability of phosphate and lower nonvolatile acid load...
- Correlates of osteoprotegerin and association with aortic pulse wave velocity in patients with chronic kidney diseaseJulia J Scialla
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2612-9. 2011..Osteoprotegerin (OPG), a cytokine that regulates bone resorption, has been implicated in the process of vascular calcification and stiffness...
- Dietary acid load: a novel nutritional target in chronic kidney disease?Julia J Scialla
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 20:141-9. 2013..Studies focusing on hard clinical outcomes are needed...
- Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease studyEbony L Boulware
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2024 E, Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Nephrol 13:167. 2012..Evidence is lacking to inform providers' and patients' decisions about many common treatment strategies for patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD)...