Kerry J Schulze
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- A cluster-randomized, placebo-controlled, maternal vitamin A or beta-carotene supplementation trial in Bangladesh: design and methodsAlain B Labrique
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Trials 12:102. 2011....
- Hepcidin and iron status among pregnant women in BangladeshKerry J Schulze
Center for Human Nutrition, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17:451-6. 2008..Among pregnant women in a community-based study in rural Bangladesh, urinary hepcidin levels were related to iron status and AGP but not hemoglobin, erythropoietin, or C-reactive protein...
- Maternal weight and body composition during pregnancy are associated with placental and birth weight in rural BangladeshAlison D Gernand
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nutr 142:2010-6. 2012..01). Overall, higher maternal weight and measures of fat-free mass at ∼10 wk gestation and gains from 20 to 32 wk are independently associated with higher placental and birth weight...
- Maternal nutritional status in early pregnancy is associated with body water and plasma volume changes in a pregnancy cohort in rural BangladeshAlison D Gernand
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nutr 142:1109-15. 2012..Women with low BMI and height in early pregnancy have lower ECW and TBW in early, mid, and late pregnancy and lower late pregnancy plasma volume expansion, potentially increasing risk of fetal growth restriction...
- Effects of vitamin A or beta carotene supplementation on pregnancy-related mortality and infant mortality in rural Bangladesh: a cluster randomized trialKeith P West
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
JAMA 305:1986-95. 2011..Maternal vitamin A deficiency is a public health concern in the developing world. Its prevention may improve maternal and infant survival...
- Iodine status in pregnancy and household salt iodine content in rural BangladeshAbu Ahmed Shamim
The JiVitA Maternal and Child Research Project, Godown Road, Gaibandha 5700, Gaibandha, Bangladesh
Matern Child Nutr 8:162-73. 2012..Alternative measures like direct iodine supplementation during pregnancy could be considered to assure adequate iodine status during this high-risk period of life...
- Low maternal vitamin B-12 status is associated with offspring insulin resistance regardless of antenatal micronutrient supplementation in rural NepalChristine P Stewart
Program in International and Community Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr 141:1912-7. 2011..Maternal vitamin B-12 deficiency is associated with an elevated risk of insulin resistance, but supplementation with folic acid or other micronutrients led to no significant change in insulin resistance in school-aged offspring...
- Antenatal micronutrient supplementation reduces metabolic syndrome in 6- to 8-year-old children in rural NepalChristine P Stewart
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Nutr 139:1575-81. 2009..Supplementation with multiple micronutrients had no such affect. Future follow-up studies are needed to examine long-term supplementation effects on risk of chronic diseases in adults...