Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Meeting local needs while developing public health practice skills: a model community-academic partnershipLainie Rutkow
SOURCE Student Outreach Resource Center, Johns Hopkins University Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 15:425-31. 2009..The Connection serves as a model program for a mutually beneficial exchange: Graduate students can develop public health practice skills, and community-based organizations can capitalize on these skills to meet short-term needs...
- The role of law in addressing mental health-related aspects of disasters and promoting resilienceLainie Rutkow
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Int J Emerg Ment Health 14:134-40. 2012..Drawing on examples from the United States, this article illustrates the diverse ways in which the law simultaneously addresses mental health-related aspects of disasters and promotes resilience within affected communities...
- Educating the future public health workforce: do schools of public health teach students about the private sector?Lainie Rutkow
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:47-52. 2013..These data suggest that schools of public health should provide curricular opportunities for their students--the future public health workforce--to learn about the relationship between the private sector and the public's health...
- Legal challenges for substance abuse treatment during disastersLainie Rutkow
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:7-9. 2012..Opportunities to mitigate legal challenges and facilitate substance abuse treatment during disasters are discussed...
- Ethical issues raised in addressing the needs of people with serious mental disorders in complex emergenciesLawrence S Wissow
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 6:72-8. 2012....
- Emergency detention of persons with certain mental disorders during public health disasters: legal and policy issuesJon S Vernick
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Disaster Med 7:295-302. 2012..States should also include mental health considerations in their disaster preparedness plans for the court system...
- Public health benefits of recent litigation against the tobacco industryJon S Vernick
Center for Law and the Public's Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
JAMA 298:86-9. 2007
- Infrastructure for teaching and learning in the community: Johns Hopkins University Student Outreach Resource Center (SOURCE)Mindi B Levin
Student Outreach Resource Center, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 17:328-36. 2011....
- Availability of litigation as a public health tool for firearm injury prevention: comparison of guns, vaccines, and motor vehiclesJon S Vernick
Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Center for Gun Policy and Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1991-7. 2007..The absence of both litigation and product safety rules for firearms is a potentially dangerous combination for the public's health...
- Challenges for mental health services raised by disaster preparedness: mapping the ethical and therapeutic terrainPeter V Rabins
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 7279, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 9:175-9. 2011..In this commentary, we discuss ethical issues that arise in emergency preparedness planning for vulnerable individuals with psychological and psychiatric conditions and disorders...
- Changing the constitutional landscape for firearms: the US Supreme Court's recent Second Amendment decisionsJon S Vernick
Johns HopkinsBloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2021-6. 2011..The court identified broad categories of gun laws-other than handgun bans-that remain presumptively valid but did not provide a standard to judge their constitutionality. We discuss ways that researchers can assist decision makers...