Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Systematic review: comparative effectiveness and safety of premixed insulin analogues in type 2 diabetesRehan Qayyum
Evidence Based Practice Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:549-59. 2008..Evidence comparing premixed insulin analogues (a mixture of rapid-acting and intermediate-acting insulin analogues) with other antidiabetic agents is urgently required to guide appropriate therapy...
- AHRQ's comparative effectiveness research on premixed insulin analogues for adults with type 2 diabetes: understanding and applying the systematic review findingsRehan Qayyum
Division of General Internal Medicine Hospitalist Program, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 17:S3-19. 2011..In 2008, under the auspices of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), a systematic comparative effectiveness review on this topic was published...
- Systematic review: comparing routine and selective invasive strategies for the acute coronary syndromeRehan Qayyum
John Hopkins Hospital, Hospitalist Program, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:186-96. 2008....
- Platelet inhibition by aspirin 81 and 325 mg/day in men versus women without clinically apparent cardiovascular diseaseRehan Qayyum
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:1359-63. 2008..In conclusion, women continue to have greater residual platelet activity after high-dose aspirin compared with men treated with a lower dose of aspirin...
- Identification of a specific intronic PEAR1 gene variant associated with greater platelet aggregability and protein expressionNauder Faraday
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, J ohns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Blood 118:3367-75. 2011....
- Leukocyte count is associated with increased platelet reactivity and diminished response to aspirin in healthy individuals with a family history of coronary artery diseaseNauder Faraday
Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, Division of Cardiac Surgical Intensive Care, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Thromb Res 124:311-7. 2009..Leukocytes may promote platelet reactivity and thrombus formation, providing a basis for increased risk, but a relation between leukocyte count and platelet function has not been studied...
- A meta-analysis and genome-wide association study of platelet count and mean platelet volume in african americansRehan Qayyum
GeneSTAR Research Program, Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 8:e1002491. 2012..In addition, we also found one region associated with platelet aggregation that may play a potential role in atherothrombosis...
- Heart rate variability predicts ESRD and CKD-related hospitalizationDaniel J Brotman
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:1560-70. 2010..These results suggest that autonomic dysfunction may be an important risk factor for ESRD and CKD-related hospitalizations and call for further studies to define the mechanisms that underlie these associations...
- Continuous infusion versus intermittent bolus furosemide in ADHF: an updated meta-analysis of randomized control trialsMuhammad Amer
Division of General Internal Medicine Hospitalist Program, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hosp Med 7:270-5. 2012..We conducted a systemic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials that compared the effects of continuous infusion and intermittent bolus of furosemide in patients hospitalized with ADHF...
- Relation between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and C-reactive protein in asymptomatic adults (from the continuous National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001 to 2006)Muhammad Amer
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Cardiol 109:226-30. 2012..We found that 25(OH)D at a level ≥21 ng/ml is associated with an increase in serum CRP. It is possible that the role of vitamin D supplementation to reduce inflammation is beneficial only among those with a lower serum 25(OH)D...
- The reported validity and reliability of methods for evaluating continuing medical education: a systematic reviewNeda Ratanawongsa
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 5200 Eastern Avenue, Suite 2300, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Acad Med 83:274-83. 2008..To appraise the reported validity and reliability of evaluation methods used in high-quality trials of continuing medical education (CME)...
- Genetic regulation of platelet receptor expression and function: application in clinical practice and drug developmentMarlene S Williams
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2372-84. 2010....
- Outcome of cardiopulmonary resuscitation - predictors of survivalOsama Ishtiaq
Department of Medicine, Shifa College of Medicine, Islamabad, Pakistan
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 18:3-7. 2008..To assess the outcomes of patients undergoing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)...
- Cardiovascular effects of the thiazolidinedionesRehan Qayyum
Calhoun Cardiology Center University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030 2202, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 22:88-97. 2006..Thus, by modulating gene expression, thiazolidinediones may provide a novel method for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases...
- A meta-analysis of the effect of thiazolidinediones on blood pressureRehan Qayyum
Prudich Medical Center, Montcalm, WV 24737, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 8:19-28. 2006..91 to -2.02) and diastolic BP by 1.84 mm Hg (95% confidence interval, -3.43 to -0.25). Thus, TZDs lower both systolic and diastolic BP, albeit the BP-lowering effect is small and may not be of clinical significance...
- Meta-analysis of the effect of thiazolidinediones on serum C-reactive protein levelsRehan Qayyum
Prudich Medical Center, Montcalm, West Virginia
Am J Cardiol 97:655-8. 2006..24 mg/L, 95% confidence interval -2.15 to -0.32 mg/L, p = 0.008) compared with nondiabetic patients (mean -0.27 mg/L, 95% confidence interval -0.41 to -0.14 mg/L, p <0.0001)...
- J wave in hypothermia and during rewarmingRehan Qayyum
Princeton Community Hospital, Princeton, WV, USA
Am Heart Hosp J 3:62. 2005